Mitsu Fuso Camper examples

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Chip, Yep, that's the mag. I think it would have been around Sep / '08 so I'll keep looking.

Oh and Indiedog, Just remember that US miles per gallon aren't the same s ours. 15 to 17 mph (US) is about 18 to 20 mph (Imperial).

One of the best fuel consumption claims I've heard was from the owner of the green truck on the homepage of our website. The truck is really heavy too so we can only put it down to the improved aerodynamics of the body and the big XML tyres because I've also heard of light SWB's that don't even return this. He claims 8k's per litre which is 18.8 mph (US) or 22.5 mph (Imp).

So while they might look thirsty I can safely say they aren't. Relatively speaking anyway. Imagine a Landcruiser trying to lug these types of payloads or tow a caravan behind. It'd probably be 50% worse off.

Hey, BTW, where in Bris are you?

indiedog

Adventurer
FusoFG and Whatcharterboat (WCB), thanks for the info. That milage doesn't sound bad at all for what you are dragging around. Are those numbers for highway or average? I'm so used now to talking in litres/100km I'm not sure how that translates.

WCB I'm in Hawthorne. Pretty central to everything though it does take a while to get out of town. I looked at your website and there's some pretty impressive setups on there.

genie4x4

Here's my hands down favorite:
fuso-114.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Hell at $600-800K AUD it should be good

whatcharterboat

Hell at $600-800K AUD it should be good

The asking price for it second hand with about 40,000kms on the clock at the '07 4x4 show was $260,000 AuD and I think that's what it sold for.

BTW Just saw it last weekend. The owners still reckon they have one of the most capable motorhomes in the country and they hope to take it to Tassie later in the year for a couple of months.

Where did you get the $6-800k figure from??.

Last edited:

FusoFG

Adventurer
Are those numbers for highway or average? I'm so used now to talking in litres/100km I'm not sure how that translates.

My camper weighs about 10,600-11,000 lbs (4900 kg) complete with gear, food, fuel and passengers. My 17 mpg US is an average. I think that's about 13-14 litres/100 km.

Cody1771

Explorer
My camper weighs about 10,600-11,000 lbs (4900 kg) complete with gear, food, fuel and passengers. My 17 mpg US is an average. I think that's about 13-14 litres/100 km.

LOL your 11000lb truck gets better millage than my 1/2 tonn completly empty... Thinks to himself maybe its time to trade it in for a one of these

indiedog

Adventurer
Fuso you are right that's about 13.75l/100k's. That's pretty good! My CRD jeep around town is about 10 to 11 so not a huge amount of difference. I just don't think my wife would like it for driving the kids around in! :) For my edufication, have the engines changed (naturally aspirated to turbo) and when did that happen? I would imagine the later diesels are the better ones??

whatcharterboat

Indiedog, I think we got the first 3.9 turbo models in '03 or maybe a little earlier than that and the last NA models were probably sold in "05 or a bit later. That's a rough guide anyway. The turbo models replaced the older mechanical injection as well.

Of course the current '09 model here has the multi valve engine with all the emmissions gear to go with it. Just spent all day today running one down the drag strip at Willowbank. Incredible torque between 2200 and 2600 but absolutely stops at 3000. The 3.9T could be tricked up to pull a lot harder up top, so it will be interesting to see what , if anything, can be done with the new model.

kerry

Expedition Leader
The turbo models replaced the older mechanical injection as well.

The US 90's models had turbo's and mechanical injection didn't they? There is an electric connection to the IP but according to something I read on a forum somewhere, it only controlled idle injection and the engine could run without the electrics on the pump. Can anyone confirm that?

Mickldo

Adventurer
Indiedog, I think we got the first 3.9 turbo models in '03 or maybe a little earlier than that and the last NA models were probably sold in "05 or a bit later. That's a rough guide anyway. The turbo models replaced the older mechanical injection as well.

Of course the current '09 model here has the multi valve engine with all the emmissions gear to go with it. Just spent all day today running one down the drag strip at Willowbank. Incredible torque between 2200 and 2600 but absolutely stops at 3000. The 3.9T could be tricked up to pull a lot harder up top, so it will be interesting to see what , if anything, can be done with the new model.

So what did she do down the dragstrip? Or was this just for the SRW testing?

whatcharterboat

So what did she do down the dragstrip? Or was this just for the SRW testing?

Hey Mick, Tell you the truth I never got a chance to check. I have to go back next week (fingers crossed) to do more SRW testing so if I can find a stop watch I'll let you know. For the first round of testing I was at 6.440 ton plus test gear. So probably 500kg over GVM and as you can expect it was only passing through 70 k's at the 400 metre mark I quess. I was doing full stops from 100k's with maybe only 100 metres of spare track before the sand and tyre wall at the end so I really didn't want any failures. I got some cool pics but. Will post them next week. Off to the truck show tomorrow.

BTW Maryborough Airstrip was a much better venue for it .

Regards John.

Mickldo

Adventurer
Hey Mick, Tell you the truth I never got a chance to check. I have to go back next week (fingers crossed) to do more SRW testing so if I can find a stop watch I'll let you know. For the first round of testing I was at 6.440 ton plus test gear. So probably 500kg over GVM and as you can expect it was only passing through 70 k's at the 400 metre mark I quess. I was doing full stops from 100k's with maybe only 100 metres of spare track before the sand and tyre wall at the end so I really didn't want any failures. I got some cool pics but. Will post them next week. Off to the truck show tomorrow.

BTW Maryborough Airstrip was a much better venue for it .

Regards John.

Make sure you bring back heaps of pics.:sombrero:

whatcharterboat

This was a Single Rear Wheel conversion we did on a SWB a few years back. The owner dropped in last week on his way back from Fraser Island. He said he was very happy with it's performance in the sand but he only got 50,000k's out of the first set of XZL's. Not sure who made the camper body.

Just a couple more pics for the collection.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3482/3880194999_f55740dd1a_o.jpg[/IMG]

3880994364_6d7f374c8e_o.jpg

3880200167_d17bdbbede_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan