mmm Bacon

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I've promised a friend of mine i would try this. I bbq almost every day and i think its nuts.. but of course i have to try it. I'll make sure to say good bye to everyone before i eat LOL

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I am going to start taking cholesterol medication just so I can eat this piece of heaven every single day for the rest of my life.:drool:

EricG

Explorer
Is there a way to do this in a dutch oven v.s. a smoker?

Bet you could would just need to put it on a grate to keep it out of the fat, I wouldn't cook it on a grill gas or charcoal, you'll end up with a nasty fire with all that fat. I've cooked bacon on a gas grill and it'll flare up.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
And of course the most important aspect would be the lack of hickory smoke. Perhaps if you had a deep enough dutch oven you could add the hickory chips under the grate and add a layer of smoke flavor too.

EricG

Explorer
And of course the most important aspect would be the lack of hickory smoke. Perhaps if you had a deep enough dutch oven you could add the hickory chips under the grate and add a layer of smoke flavor too.

Emril has a cast iron smoker, its like a $100.00 saw Paula Dean cook a briskit in one, a dutch oven would do the same, you could do the chips for a couple of hours to get the flavor then turn up the heat to finish it off. After about 2 hours or so on a smoker you've got the smoke, after that the low heat finishes it off.

James86004

Expedition Leader
We are going to try to make it this weekend.
banana1.gif
We are probably going end up somewhere near the Gila Hot Springs, Friday or Saturday night, so follow the smell of bacon if you are in the neighborhood. We will probably make a 1/2 size one in our Dutch oven - we made a grate so we could put smoking chips under it.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I want to make this, but nobody in my family seems to want to share. And as a 130lb diabetic I don't think it would be safe for me to eat it all on my own.

Maybe it's time to experiment with a mini version.

dustboy

Explorer
Explosion indeed!

My wife (a vegetarian) said I eat too much bacon. I said, "I only eat bacon when I'm camping."

So I go camping a lot. :victory: Last trip my buddy and I finished off 1.5 lbs in a weekend.

You might think bacon makes everything better, but I was at a restaurant in Raleigh NC that had chocolate-covered bacon on the menu, and of course I ordered it. It was not good, usually the salty-sweet thing is great but not in this case. Go figure.

Here's one to try, Bacon-Infused Bourbon:

Slow-cook two pieces of bacon.
Place bacon (along with fat) in a jar with 10 oz Bourbon for at least six hours, shaking occasionally.
Remove bacon.
Place jar into a freezer overnight.
Strain out solid fat pieces.
Filter bourbon through a coffee filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman