MOAB DIY RTT

urbex

Observer
I've been searching for an inexpensive RTT for very occasional use for some time now. I certainly understand the value of the more expensive tents, and I'm not arguing that they're not worth it, just that I _personally_ can't justify $1,000+ for a tent for what amounts to additional convenience for me. That's really what the RTT means to me - convenience. Convenience of not having to find suitable spots to erect a tent, and less concern of the desert critters finding their way into my bed at night :p I don't plan on month long boondocking in the middle of the jungles, so it's not an absolute need to me.

For me, 95% of the time, "camping" for me is a single night. I haven't done more than 2 nights in well over a decade now, and given the current life situation, I MIGHT (and I stress might, lol), do a long weekend once a year at the absolute most. I won't be camping in temp extremes one way or the other, as due to medical issues, cold weather is just plain painful for me and I don't want to be sweltering in the summer heat of the desert here. If inclement weather pops up, I'm much more likely to wait it out in the truck, or pack up and go home than to wait it out in a tent.

So I don't have a need for an all weather, super heavy duty tent. I was thinking a soft limit of around $500 to be the limit of what I can justify to myself..beyond that, I'll deal with the inconvenience of a ground tent and finding a suitable place to erect it. Then, there is an additional issue that one of my primary camping vehicles has recently become a Suzuki Vitara with a wee little 4 banger. Unloaded, it will maintain freeway speeds OK, but passing pretty much doesn't happen. Any mountain grades is a bit of a struggle, and the thought of putting a big, heavy, brick on the roof doesn't sound like an awesome idea to me, lol. Sleeping inside the car isn't really a viable option either, as it's a pretty small vehicle, which means leaving a bunch of gear outside at night which I'm not hugely wild about. There's also a lesser concern of being that I typically play in the desert, the inside gets filthy with dust FAST. Yes, I'm a bit of a pansy in that regard that I don't really enjoy sleeping in a dust bowl, lol.

Then, last night, I randomly found this neat little thing - http://top-tent.com/tentunits/moabtent, intended to be a small, trailer based, folding tent. Given the dimensions/weight, it looks like a would be a good size to put on the roof of my little Suzuki as well. At $650 shipped, it's a little beyond my intended budget, but doable. I've got enough materials on hand to build out the remainder of what is needed, so that shouldn't be an issue either. I also very much like the "Made in the USA aspect" :)

Any experience with these? I did see the thread here where the guy was talking about building them a few years ago, but didn't find much beyond that. I understand it may not be up to the caliber of the more expensive tents, and that the DIY aspect usually means some compromises here and there, and I'm OK with that.

fog cutter

Adventurer
for what it's worth, i would configure the hatch end with a folding extension (either thin panels or fabric). anything you put on top will add to handling challenges of your admittedly underpowered steed, if only by way of wind resistance.

look here under 'non-traditional' & 'foamies' for imaginative fodder. http://www.tnttt.com/

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Pretty sure there's an extensive thread started by the creator of these tents on here.

Mitch502

Explorer
They "look nicer" than what I built, but for what it's worth, it costs me around $300 to make mine, including ladder and all.

What I built sounds almost exactly like what you need...a traditional "cheaper" tent on your roof for bug/animal/critter/set-up time purposes. Check out my thread in my sig. Building one took me about a month to complete, but that was only due to finding time. If you can source all your parts, you can have one built in a weekend or 2. Some assembly and sewing required.

I'll be camping in mine for the first time next month at the latest, and I can't wait! PM me if you have any questions!

urbex

Observer
They "look nicer" than what I built, but for what it's worth, it costs me around $300 to make mine, including ladder and all.

What I built sounds almost exactly like what you need...a traditional "cheaper" tent on your roof for bug/animal/critter/set-up time purposes. Check out my thread in my sig. Building one took me about a month to complete, but that was only due to finding time. If you can source all your parts, you can have one built in a weekend or 2. Some assembly and sewing required.

I'll be camping in mine for the first time next month at the latest, and I can't wait! PM me if you have any questions!

Heh...time is a premium for me too these days. I think that's largely why I buy so much more than I build now...I'd rather spend what little free time I get out in the field than in the garage, but I don't want to go broke doing it either, lol.

My original plan, even before I bought the Suzuki, was just to fashion a folding platform out of a sheet of plywood, and fasten an instant pop-up style tent to it. Boom, done for under a hundred, assuming I buy a cheap Wal-Mart tent. But then it occurred to me that I'd likely have to remove the tent to fold the plywood, and that somewhat defeats the purpose of a RTT. Then it also occurred to me that nearly every time I come up with these super low budget ideas, they end up looking like the result of craft day at the local preschool :D Usually functional...mostly..but I'm embarrassed to say I made that, lol (and I still haven't lived down the temporary light bar I made one year with a pine 2x4 :D)

I'll check out your build thread though when I get a chance :)

Mitch502

Explorer
I hear ya on the preschool look, lol. Mine looks like a solid 6th grader made it, lol. But very functional. Assuming you pre order all the parts, you could make it in a weekend probably. Might be a good winter project!!

spikemd

Explorer
Ruff Stuff has a very good tent, same as Tepui Autana or ARB Series3 for $1150 on sale. Incredible price for a high quality 'real' RTT.

acg

Adventurer
Ruff Stuff has a very good tent, same as Tepui Autana or ARB Series3 for $1150 on sale. Incredible price for a high quality 'real' RTT.

I have this tent. It was been working great for us all summer since we got it. $1150 for the RTT including the awning is a great deal.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 11209492_10206689263620927_3131716861112488148_n.jpg
    11209492_10206689263620927_3131716861112488148_n.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 11036720_10152951008597602_8403904455974622484_n.jpg
    11036720_10152951008597602_8403904455974622484_n.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

urbex

Observer

I don't see that fitting on top of the car at all. I have 48" cross bars on the rack, and they hang over the edges by 6"+ on both sides. I have the bars spread as much as I can, and have about 3.5' of space between them.....

Kickin45

I'm with you on this Urbex, I run a Samurai, and with 66 HP I can't drag around one of these huge RTT's, i want smaller light weight. Rip stop Nylon is fine with me!!

urbex

Observer
All of this has been put on temporary hold for me now, as I went under contract on a new house a few weeks ago...no big spending for me at least until that finishes up....

After that though...I'm still not sure what direction I really want to go. I've been paying more attention to the areas I've been camping at, and finding enough ground to even set up a small two person tent would be interesting. It's a lot of jagged, rocky area. I also have enough radio gear on top of the Suzuki that putting a RTT up there isn't really a feasible solution either.

What I'm thinking about now is trying to come up with some kind of foldable platform that I can store inside the truck, then erect on the roof at camp and attach a regular two person tent to it. Or possibly some kind of similar idea for a ground platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12