MOAB DIY RTT

Kickin45

I've got the back half of another Samurai that I will be building a small expo trailer out of. but with a stock 1.3, I'm not going to be towing much, or fast!

Kickin45

Plans are for a light weight RTT to top off the trailer. When I go out, I'm out for a couple of days, usually parking over night twice in the same spot.

urbex

Observer
I seriously considered the trailer idea too, but maneuvering a trailer off road concerns me...there's plenty of area I get into that my Zuk barely fits into, or that I have to do 10 point Y turns to get through, and I don't think having a trailer behind me would be a grand plan, lol.

Though it would solve the problem quite nicely if I could make it work.

Kickin45

So far all the places that I've been tight such as that, I've already established a base camp and most likely wouldn't have the Trailer on anyway. I'll save the crawling for when I'm not out exploring!

I recognized your name, and a quick search confirmed that you're a member over at ZOA too, I am there as well under the same name as here.

urbex

Observer
There is that, and admittedly, I can't remember an occasion where I got bound up in a tight spot where a trailer would have been a real PITA while on a camping trip as well. But then, part of this for me is the ability to go explore areas that are more than a day trip away, and I have those voices in the back of my head that are screaming "But what if you end up like you did last weekend?!?!?" where I was running an unknown to me ridgeline from the Boulders area towards Lake Pleasant and ended up in one of those tight spots.

Though, as I'm thinking about this more, it may not be such a big deal after all. It's not like I'm going to end up with a 5K pound trailer that would be impossible to move around by hand in the dirt. I suppose, worse case scenario, I could always un hitch the thing, and maneuver it by hand. I think you may have just started swinging my thoughts towards a trailer again, lol.

I haven't logged on to ZOA in weeks now, if not months....felt like I was trying to claw my way into a group that didn't really want me around.

Kickin45

felt like I was trying to claw my way into a group that didn't really want me around.

It is more rock crawler-centric to be sure, there are people that can be abrasive, but all in all is a fairly good group of guys.

As I get more projects completed I'll be starting my trailer this winter, I'll post up some pics as I get them.

Box Rocket

Ruff Stuff has a very good tent, same as Tepui Autana or ARB Series3 for $1150 on sale. Incredible price for a high quality 'real' RTT.

Just for clarity, the Ruffstuff and Smittybuilt tents may "LOOK" the same as a Tepui Autana but are not. Quality of the materials is quite different. Not saying they're bad tents, just not the same.

Box Rocket

Urbex, I'm not sure if you're still looking for a tent to fit on your Vitara or not but you might take a look at the Tepui Ayer. It's a compact 2 person tent that only weighs about 90lbs and really affordable as far as "real" RTTs go. http://tepuitents.com/products/ayer I know it may be a bit beyond your hopeful price range but I can always get you 10% off on these, and Tepui typically has a $15% off Black Friday sale that should be happening in a couple weeks too which could help to get it near your price point. 15% off would put you at around $760 + shipping.
It's available in the blue pictured or tan.

Kickin45

I, for one, didn't know about that sale...I might just have to stretch my Credit card a little this year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12