Moab Mayhem 07'

Brett M

Adventurer
Looks like a great time down in Moab. Glad you enjoyed it. That first steep obstacle on Gold Bar is getting more and more dug out each year. I remember just years ago when it was half that size!

And.........tell your spotter on Hells Gate it helps to stand where people can actually see you while they're driving ;) I'm sure we've all seen the video of the TJ rolling back down the obstacle because she lost site of her spotter and didn't know what to do. Flame suit on, just in case :p

Awesome report and great pics! A buddy of mine just got back recently and had nothing but good stories as well.

How many of the FJs were in stock form?

RoundOut

Explorer
Were the FJs all locked front & rear? Could one make those obstacles in a vehicle with unlocked front & LSD back?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
TrAiLbUs1 said:
Best sticker ever...

That's a riot!

Beautiful photos, great composition and subject matter. Very, very nice. Moab is the Mecca!

So am I the only one who prefers the Black Cherry FJ's...?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Brett M said:
...And.........tell your spotter on Hells Gate it helps to stand where people can actually see you while they're driving ;) ...

Ditto, or find a new spotter :shakin:

Great pics :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
RoundOut said:
Were the FJs all locked front & rear? Could one make those obstacles in a vehicle with unlocked front & LSD back?

Both Hells Revenge and Gold Bar Rim can be done with open-open vehicles, usually without even a strap. There are a couple of optional obstacles that will be a bit more of a challenge (such as Hells Gate), but they've been done by open rigs. :D

TrAiLbUs1

Observer
WE have active traction on FJC's and rear diffs, I did a mod to be able to run atrac up front and diff locks in back (perdy much unstoppable) it cost about $12 total to do:D

The spotter totally needed to be higher than he was, he turned around twice during that obstacle causing me to go up on one side and have my rear tires slip off, just glad I'm still able to walk and my rig has noo scratches or dents. Thanks everyone for the compliments, Moab was awesome and I plan on going next year also....hells gate not so much. I will post another video right now!!

Westy

Adventurer
TrAiLbUs1 said:
The spotter totally needed to be higher than he was, he turned around twice during that obstacle causing me to go up on one side and have my rear tires slip off, just glad I'm still able to walk and my rig has noo scratches or dents. Thanks everyone for the compliments, Moab was awesome and I plan on going next year also....hells gate not so much. I will post another video right now!!

The stopper did need to be up higher. However you cannot always rely on or blame a spotter for attempting to get your rig up an obstacle. Your vehicle, your responsibility. They are merely a guide, but you should always try to have a good feel for where your tires are at all times. Most drivers always focus on the front of the vehicle, specifically the front tires, however REAR TIRE placement is critical, especially at Hells Gate.

Driving without a spotter will teach invaluable feedback about your vehicle and its capability.

I've driven Hells Gate, and watched vehicles roll over on Hells Gate, and others nearly roll. It is a tricky spot, those photos bring back good and bad memories :Wow1: :victory:

TrAiLbUs1

Observer
Westy said:
The stopper did need to be up higher. However you cannot always rely on or blame a spotter for attempting to get your rig up an obstacle. Your vehicle, your responsibility. They are merely a guide, but you should always try to have a good feel for where your tires are at all times. Most drivers always focus on the front of the vehicle, specifically the front tires, however REAR TIRE placement is critical, especially at Hells Gate.

Driving without a spotter will teach invaluable feedback about your vehicle and its capability.

I've driven Hells Gate, and watched vehicles roll over on Hells Gate, and others nearly roll. It is a tricky spot, those photos bring back good and bad memories :Wow1: :victory:

I'm a lone ranger usually and wheel primarily by myself (i know its not safe), I have 11 years under my belt and i know my wheel placement...I was instructed to watch the spotter (since he was a professional T-team) intently, and did so...only to have this happen. It was partly my fault and i understand that it's a part of wheeling, we are all human and accidents happen in all situations. I don't blame him and we're still cool I have nothing against him, even if I screwed my rig up I wouldn't have gotten mad. It's all done and my truck is fine...hells gate is not to be mucked with, if you've never done it and if you have any doubt in your mind...walk down to the bottom of that gorge before doing it, and look up ********!!! Even with this happening I'm ready for Moab Mayhem 08':wings:

Westy

Adventurer
Hells Gate is no joke. You guys had it under control it looks like. After watching a few vehicles go up, it looks like no big deal. Lots of traction and not too tippy. Yeah until one person goes a few inches off line... scary.

I was with a group earlier this year and one of the 3rd gen 4runners went over on its side. I imagine its a frequent event there. I just happened to be next in line after him...I wasnt looking forward to trying Hells Gate after that.

Some of us are going out tomorrow AM wheeling outside of Scottsdale area if you want to join - bring the FJ

http://www.yotatech.com/f66/trail-404-run-september-8th-123446/

TrAiLbUs1

Observer
Westy

I would love to wheel with you guys, but after the last 2 wheeling events my funds are no where to be found, hell I'm too poor to even pay attention....what did you just say? ******** I saw the pictures of the 4 runner over end is this it???

Moab-91.jpg

Grim Reaper

That video played over and over while that incident happened....ohhh man..glad you didn't come claim me mr reaper:D

kcowyo

I first thought someone said...it's not the driver it's the vehicle...I was kinda angry since my life was on the line, and it wasn't the time to talk about one vehicle versus another:shakin: ...my girl told me what was actually said, and it made me laugh....I think that was one of my buddies saying that flipping wanker!!! @ the end of the other video on youtube "the king of slickrock" Dan something or another who told us he created hells gate back in the day....said "give this man a hand he's got nerves of steel" it felt good to be back on solid ground!!! Some of this mishap may have been due to my tires being so worn...I really need some new rubber looking to upgrade to 34" soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998