Montero 3rd gen radio install

jhill15

Explorer
I just installed a new head unit so I thought I would do a write up on how to do it.

I purchased a jvc double din,
1cf099d0d2be830367f29ab657471685.jpg
mainly because I like the look of a double din better as opposed to a single din but also because the previous owner had a double din and already switched the placement of the climate controls...sadly he put the stock infinity head unit back in before selling it to me.

None the less, if you would like to add a double din heres a video on how to get the center console out so you can lower the climate controls to where the tray is. On a side note If you have a dvd player then you probably dont need to watch it.

How to Remove DVD Player from 2004 Mitsubishi Mon…: http://youtu.be/-g75eQjmjXw

Here is the harness you will need to buy in order to install an after market radio.

Metra 70-7003
d04671a203e402d6996a22e31e558d51.jpg

Metra 70-7003 Radio Wiring Harness for Mitsubishi Amp Integr https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ZGEO4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Mi2Qub14J4Z50

Heres how I did it.

First thing I did was wire the metra 70-7003 to the jvc harness. I did this the night before so it would be plug and play the next day. Usaually I would use crimp wire connectors to tie the 2 harnesses together but instead I just went old school with some electrical tape
cb3b1165cce25deece952bd2f36e5890.jpg

Unhook the negative battery terminal

Unscrew the 2 screws above the compass/clock
9a2d22f52b00653cf38328aeb24494d7.jpg

Use a plastic panel tool to remove the surround, start on one of the bottom corners as it will come off easier
6a6c20d561e0eefaf6234c164ec09d4e.jpg

Unhook the hazard light harness from the surround and set the surround to the side
8e6a972ab6221fdd2dfc55875807822d.jpg

Remove the screws from the head unit and tray, set the radio and tray to the side
cd023c01bf249d4ace537b3d8de044b1.jpg

Attach your ground first so there are no issues with frying anything. I chose the left side of the dash bracket as the right side already has something grounded to it and I didnt want any problems
c0aae158ca7e38ff766e5458d325ab97.jpg

Plug the metra harness into the factory harness, make sure to align the amp integrated cable when plugging in
e2080167fdc68c03ad9e0c5c28f0aec1.jpg

Plug the harness into the new head unit. Make sure that you plug the rca cables into the correct outputs on the back of the head unit
3791029e864e88fbc157a2b172687b81.jpg

For the antenna, there are 2, so I just electrical taped off the small cable and plugged in the large one "sounds great even with a broken mast". Im not sure if taping it off matters but again I didnt want any problems after the install
f0f6cf2722a712668542c467190057c8.jpg

Tuck the cables back in there and fit the new head unit. After this its probably a good time to hook your battery back up to make sure it works like it should
e1741e800b47fce39c25c25ad23c6b3f.jpg

Put the surround back on and enjoy.
1e0b784bfd09972713361e2621705c1d.jpg

487ddaa913d7b21e2c077abc5916d5cf.jpg

d5dac9a1d7e806413a7f231d6a75314d.jpg

A couple problems I had on my specific truck that may help you if you encounter the same problems.

I had installed aftermarket led headlights prior to the new radio, when turning on the headlights while having the fm tuner on i got nothing but static from the stereo. I found out this was due to the driver/ballast of the leds. I pulled the leds and threw in some halogens and the radio was Crystal clear. For me I would much rather have a nice stereo as opposed to nice bright led headlights.

Another problem was with my factory sub. I noticed after putting in the new head unit its not working. Im not sure if it has never worked or is caused from the metra harness. Im still trying to figure that out.

Anywho, I hope this helps get some new stereos installed in your rigs!!!

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Just noticed your climate controls are located way down low. My 03 has the climate controls under the radio. I wonder when they changed the location.

jhill15

Explorer
Just noticed your climate controls are located way down low. My 03 has the climate controls under the radio. I wonder when they changed the location.
mine were originally where yours are. The p.o. had moved em down so that he could install a double din. Pretty easy to do, theres a video at the top of the thread that shows how to get em down there.

Dr Gonzo

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I've been thinking of changing the headunit on my Gen 3 as well. Mostly just to get an Aux In plug and/or bluetooth audio streaming. From reading the comments on your amazon link for the harness adapter it seems you need to make sure your headunit has two preamp outs (Fr/Rr) so you can keep fader controls (like your unit does). I was not aware of that fact (and not all aftermarket units have this feature), so I learned something new today.

Also, I had no idea that both antennas each had a separate cable going to the headunit, I just assumed they would be joined by some sort of "Y" connector upstream of the unit. It seems the stock unit switches between the two (mast or rear quarter window) depending on signal strength. I listen to FM quite a bit and even stock with both antennas my Montero does not have perceptibly better reception than my other (newer) car with the stock single fixed rubber antenna (which is incidentally much shorter than the telescopic mast); so I'd guess not much would be lost by forgoing the glass mounted antenna. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this?

Cheers!

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks dr. Gonzo! The rca cables is something I didnt know about until I read the comments on amazon as well. So I had to go back and make sure that the jvc unit that I was ordering had 2 sets of pre amp outs.

Since I have a broken mast on my front antenna im considering pulling it and installing a fixed one. I havent made up my mind yet, mainly it would be for appearance as the jvc has much better reception as opposed to the factory stereo. Also it would be cheaper to installed a fixed antenna then buying a replacement power antenna mast.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Thanks for the writeup, this should be very helpful as I was looking to replace my head unit in the coming days. :)

Marutuk

KK6WFB
I finally got around to this, so I got my new radio installed and it is nice to actually have a hands free setup for my car now :)

However, while it was pretty straight forward, I did run into the issue that there is a feedback from the car itself on the speakers, especially with the radio off (you hear the car revving up/etc), usually an indication that it's not grounded well. So I went over and double checked that as well as put some extra electrical tape on the connectors, but that did not help.

So I guess I have to check it out some more or may have to ask a professional for help.

jhill15

Explorer
I finally got around to this, so I got my new radio installed and it is nice to actually have a hands free setup for my car now :)

However, while it was pretty straight forward, I did run into the issue that there is a feedback from the car itself on the speakers, especially with the radio off (you hear the car revving up/etc), usually an indication that it's not grounded well. So I went over and double checked that as well as put some extra electrical tape on the connectors, but that did not help.

So I guess I have to check it out some more or may have to ask a professional for help.
It definitely sounds like a bad ground especially if you here the engine revving through the speakers. Did you ground yours where I grounded mine?

Marutuk

KK6WFB
I did try it on two different spots with the same results (one on the metal frame where the head unit and such are mounted, the other a bit further back, similar to where you attached it). I may give it another try before seeing with a mechanic or car audio tech to check on it.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Not to highjack the thread, but it there a way to split and if so which set of outputs to add a sub woofer. I recently replaced my factory infinity system with a an aftermarket deck with the required two sets of preamp outputs. I have a powered/subwoofer sitting on a shelf in the garage but it needs to plug into RCA jacks. Could you do this with "Y" shaped splitters from the back of the deck? Does this even make sense? :coffeedrink:

jhill15

Explorer
Not to highjack the thread, but it there a way to split and if so which set of outputs to add a sub woofer. I recently replaced my factory infinity system with a an aftermarket deck with the required two sets of preamp outputs. I have a powered/subwoofer sitting on a shelf in the garage but it needs to plug into RCA jacks. Could you do this with "Y" shaped splitters from the back of the deck? Does this even make sense? :coffeedrink:
You should be able to split the signal using one of these into the rear set of aux outputs coming from the aftermarket stereo
ace6ac945eb82b4f084b5b9783000ef3.jpg
you would need to get 2 of the rca adapters, one for the left and right side of the rear output. With these you will be able to still plug in the factory sub...in theory it should work cause your not spiltting power just the signal. Heres the link to them. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/RCA-3-Y-Adapter/16829790

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan