Montero 3rd gen radio install

jhill15

Explorer
Did you ever figure out the issue with your amp, jhill15?
It turned out that the amp wasn't the issue. My sub was blown and the speaker cables had been ripped out of the speaker by the previous owner. Why they just didn't replace sub is beyond me...I guess ripping the cables out and calling the sub a loss was way easier lol. None the less I replaced the sub and now its good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Fergie

Expedition Leader
How did you wire it for power?

Straight to the battery or via another circuit? If you used another circuit, what one?

I ask because I had nothing but problems with my aftermarket Sony unit. Initially, none of my dash lights worked because the shop wired the "dimmer" and "illumination" circuits together and it shorted out a fuse every time. I fixed that problem, but then the rheostat dash light dimmer was fried.

I just put the old stock unit back in and everything works well, but I am curious as to how others have done it so I can revisit the install in the future.

jhill15

Explorer
How did you wire it for power?

Straight to the battery or via another circuit? If you used another circuit, what one?

I ask because I had nothing but problems with my aftermarket Sony unit. Initially, none of my dash lights worked because the shop wired the "dimmer" and "illumination" circuits together and it shorted out a fuse every time. I fixed that problem, but then the rheostat dash light dimmer was fried.

I just put the old stock unit back in and everything works well, but I am curious as to how others have done it so I can revisit the install in the future.
They shouldn't have wired the illumination and dimmer wires together. The metra harness from the beginning of the thread has both illumination and dimmer wires as well as the aftermarket headunit harness they are also color coded so I don't why they would wire them together.

Do you have the infinity system? If so then you need the metra harness that I posted.

Theres always the possibility of the headunit or the metra harness being faulty. I would see about returning them and getting a new harness and headunit.

Another thing to consider is they may have tried to ground the headunit through the metra harness and not to a separate ground by itself. Look at the picture of how I grounded mine, Its on the first page of the thread. Thats always the best way to ground the headunit if your not positive there is a ground coming from the factory harness.

Hope this helps man.

plh

Explorer
Hi JHILL, Thanks for putting this together. I put a Kenwood KDC-BT362U in the '05 today using the Metra 70-7003. Referenced your instructions a couple times wondering where the orange wire on the Metra harness was connected. Determined that my new Kenwood deck doesn't light dim, Thats OK. Not that there was anything wrong with the stock Infinity deck, but updated to provide a bluetooth connection. We seam to listen to Pandora a bunch in the '92 and '93 streaming via phones. The Kenwood sounds really good and all the speakers work including the sub. Continuing to use the stock Infinity Amp.

jhill15

Explorer
Hi JHILL, Thanks for putting this together. I put a Kenwood KDC-BT362U in the '05 today using the Metra 70-7003. Referenced your instructions a couple times wondering where the orange wire on the Metra harness was connected. Determined that my new Kenwood deck doesn't light dim, Thats OK. Not that there was anything wrong with the stock Infinity deck, but updated to provide a bluetooth connection. We seam to listen to Pandora a bunch in the '92 and '93 streaming via phones. The Kenwood sounds really good and all the speakers work including the sub. Continuing to use the stock Infinity Amp.
Thats awesome plh, and your very welcome! I love the bt capabilities, its so much nicer to just get in, turn your rig on, and your already connected. I had a Sony bt headunit in my last truck and it was so much easier, plus making phone calls was sweet!

Reactions: plh

quinteros

Very cool, thanks this helped.
I am stuck with the power antenna. It won't go up at radio start up, as it used to. I was able to plug the old infinity and it worked just fine.
I am installing a Pioneer double din, and so far, I've been able to easily remove every panel and every screw, but the harness wiring has given me some grief.
I just noticed you tied the blue wire (pwr ant) to the blue white wire (which I am unsure what it's for). So I will do the same in just a few minutes and see if that works. Also, no sound came out, as I had it configured. I'm attributing that to a bad wire connection, or incorrect connectivity of wires...
So, I'm following your lead in hopes to make it work!

Thanks for posting this thread!

(Ill update shortly)

quinteros

Update:

After making adjustments: still no sound and power antenna does not react.

Bluetooth pairing and all other functions work properly.

The Viper

Adventurer
Update:

After making adjustments: still no sound and power antenna does not react.

Bluetooth pairing and all other functions work properly.

just a heads up, i had tried hooking up a pioneer double din as well and had issues...not the issues your having though, i ended up returning the pioneer and buying the jvc the OP bought and everything is working good.

I had bought the Pioneer FH-X720BT when i was having issues

maco35

I put a Jensen VX7012 in my 2002 Montero and now, my antenna will stay up all the time, it will not retract when i turn the radio off for example if i want to go to the car wash it and will only go down when the key is off and the transmission in P.

I don't know what seems to be the problem.

haitipap

You said there was a video at the top of the thread about how to move the climate controls down. I don’t see the link you’re talking about. Can you help?

Messenger3dn

I just installed a new head unit so I thought I would do a write up on how to do it.

I purchased a jvc double din,
1cf099d0d2be830367f29ab657471685.jpg
mainly because I like the look of a double din better as opposed to a single din but also because the previous owner had a double din and already switched the placement of the climate controls...sadly he put the stock infinity head unit back in before selling it to me.

None the less, if you would like to add a double din heres a video on how to get the center console out so you can lower the climate controls to where the tray is. On a side note If you have a dvd player then you probably dont need to watch it.

How to Remove DVD Player from 2004 Mitsubishi Mon…:
Here is the harness you will need to buy in order to install an after market radio.

Metra 70-7003
d04671a203e402d6996a22e31e558d51.jpg

Metra 70-7003 Radio Wiring Harness for Mitsubishi Amp Integr https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ZGEO4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Mi2Qub14J4Z50

Heres how I did it.

First thing I did was wire the metra 70-7003 to the jvc harness. I did this the night before so it would be plug and play the next day. Usaually I would use crimp wire connectors to tie the 2 harnesses together but instead I just went old school with some electrical tape
cb3b1165cce25deece952bd2f36e5890.jpg

Unhook the negative battery terminal

Unscrew the 2 screws above the compass/clock
9a2d22f52b00653cf38328aeb24494d7.jpg

Use a plastic panel tool to remove the surround, start on one of the bottom corners as it will come off easier
6a6c20d561e0eefaf6234c164ec09d4e.jpg

Unhook the hazard light harness from the surround and set the surround to the side
8e6a972ab6221fdd2dfc55875807822d.jpg

Remove the screws from the head unit and tray, set the radio and tray to the side
cd023c01bf249d4ace537b3d8de044b1.jpg

Attach your ground first so there are no issues with frying anything. I chose the left side of the dash bracket as the right side already has something grounded to it and I didnt want any problems
c0aae158ca7e38ff766e5458d325ab97.jpg

Plug the metra harness into the factory harness, make sure to align the amp integrated cable when plugging in
e2080167fdc68c03ad9e0c5c28f0aec1.jpg

Plug the harness into the new head unit. Make sure that you plug the rca cables into the correct outputs on the back of the head unit
3791029e864e88fbc157a2b172687b81.jpg

For the antenna, there are 2, so I just electrical taped off the small cable and plugged in the large one "sounds great even with a broken mast". Im not sure if taping it off matters but again I didnt want any problems after the install
f0f6cf2722a712668542c467190057c8.jpg

Tuck the cables back in there and fit the new head unit. After this its probably a good time to hook your battery back up to make sure it works like it should
e1741e800b47fce39c25c25ad23c6b3f.jpg

Put the surround back on and enjoy.
1e0b784bfd09972713361e2621705c1d.jpg

487ddaa913d7b21e2c077abc5916d5cf.jpg

d5dac9a1d7e806413a7f231d6a75314d.jpg

A couple problems I had on my specific truck that may help you if you encounter the same problems.

I had installed aftermarket led headlights prior to the new radio, when turning on the headlights while having the fm tuner on i got nothing but static from the stereo. I found out this was due to the driver/ballast of the leds. I pulled the leds and threw in some halogens and the radio was Crystal clear. For me I would much rather have a nice stereo as opposed to nice bright led headlights.

Another problem was with my factory sub. I noticed after putting in the new head unit its not working. Im not sure if it has never worked or is caused from the metra harness. Im still trying to figure that out.

Anywho, I hope this helps get some new stereos installed in your rigs!!!

I installed a pioneer nex 4200 today and everything works but I get no sound. All wires seen to match yours. Is this the issue you had when you said your amps weren't working? Any suggestions?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Best of luck sorting out the wiring issues...
I've installed numerous systems into our various vehicles and I always purchase systems from Crutchfield.
...look up the year/make/model of your rig, and they will have a prewired connection.
...plug it into the stereo and the factory harness, and plug in the antenna...put the dash back together.
(When you have the dash apart, you may consider wiring in a switch to control the power mast.)
Cheers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior