Montero Build

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Tony. Yes, that is in the plans as soon as funds are available or I get a smoking deal on a used one. But, I have some mod funds available right now but I need to get some protection under the truck so that is a priority right now.

Area56

For what it's worth, I like the mostly stock/stealth look of your monty as it sits now. I would even paint the new bumper the color of the flares.

I just mention this before you get real far, because my last truck I overdid with the 'expedition' look, and always attracted unwanted attention at the stores and trailhead. I was always nervous about getting broken into and would have a knot in my stomach from worrying when I was out exploring on foot.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks, man. I like the looks. I do need to get some steel underneath it and then the mods are going to pretty much stop. I'll put a winch on it too. I decided against painting the plastic trim at the moment, and I am noticing more and more trucks around with stock wheels painted black. Since i like to be different from the pack I don't think I'm going to do this either. I have a new adventure buddy coming in about a month so all truck mods are on hold for now.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OK, I made a few changes a while back but kept forgetting to take pictures and post them up. I finally got around to it today, so here goes.

First, my clineometer was not staying put where I had mounted it in the early stages so it was moved to a more secure location and also easier for me to see. Besides, I didn't need the clock anyway (pic coming soon). Also, the thermometer for the fridge was not staying put so I needed a better way to secure it as well. Well, I was searching around quite a bit an looking for a good deal on a way to mount the thermometer as well as get a mount for my GPS. Well, the last time I bought a mount for a Magellan GPS unit from Magellan I felt really screwed out of my money. It was a total piece of junk and it broke in just a couple of weeks and it was $40. So, I decided to go the aftermarket route. Now, I know a lot of people on this board a huge fans of the Ram Mounts and they do look nice and have gotten good reviews, I didn't want to spend that much money. Well, I was in Best Buy one day right around Christmas and found this:

014-7.jpg

It is a Best Buy brand called Rocketfish and it looked pretty versitile and sturdy. And, it was only $20. So I picked one up and thought I would give it a try. Well, after a couple weeks of testing it appeared to do the trick. So, I went and got another one. Well, they seem to do the trick pretty well and I am happy with them.

The one holding the GPS:

011-9.jpg

It holds the thermometer very well also:

012.jpg

How the "command center" looks now. Here you can also see the relocated clineometer over the factory clock:

010-9.jpg

Also, I leave the thermometer in it's mount pretty much the whole time, but around town I do not use the GPS, so the mount makes a good place to put the iPod:

013-1.jpg

So, those are the changes thus far, and I have to say that so far I am pretty impressed with the Rocketfish mounts. I have not done a lot of off-road testing with them yet, but the short amount of testing I have done they have proven themselves to be up to the task.

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Heidi, industrial velcro is good, but the mounting surfaces are not ideal for adhesives. It held for a bit, but when it got too warm it got too soft and the thermometer just fell off. So, I found this solution.

Also, I bet Wil can get a bumper for you. Besides, you have the cool Sierra Expeditions decals on your truck. I'm jealous!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Oh trust me I've already talked to Wil about the bumper. The problem my friend is the cash flow. I'm one of the lucky people who didn't get funded for financial aid this year and every 3 credit class is the cost of a new bumper. :Wow1:

Ya it seems to be hit or miss with the velcro...we have had great success with it in both our trucks but others not so much.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Oh, I was gonna say, if your too chicken to order your bumper, just give me your CC number and I'll be happy to order it for you, and your Trasharoo, and a few things forthe Monty. It'll make Wil's year. LOL.

Yeah, that sucks about FA. How much longer till the end of your academic year? You should be able to re-apply in a couple of months for next year.

As for the velcro, the surfaces in the Montero that I could use to mount stuff is not ideal. I've tried industrial velcro, industrial double sided tape, you name it (aside from super glue) I've tried it. These mounts seem to work well though. I guess time will tell.

day42

Observer
Aaron, your truck looks great...even more now that the ARB bumper is on there. I have a question for you, and any other Montero owners that check out this thread: have you considered, or have you done, a full removal of the body side cladding on the truck? If I'm not mistaken, they are/were available that way in other countries (as well as Puerto Rico...pics of MonteroRider's Gen 3 Monty included). I, too, think the Monty looks a bit cleaner this way, but it also looks like less things are there to get broken off/dragged/scratched and it also affords more ground clearance. If anyone has done it, or is thinking about it, how much work would it entail? Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• NoCladding-1.JPG
    NoCladding-1.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 302
  • NoCladding-2.JPG
    NoCladding-2.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 468

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I do like the cleaner look of no cladding. But if you look at Monteroriders former truck you'll see that the flares are still there, just not the body cladding on the lower sills. On US spec trucks the flares are incorporated with that cladding so it would be difficult to remove and still have a nice clean finished look. Also, in other parts of the world the Gen III's can be had with factory steel wheels. I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on a set of five.

DavidG

Adventurer
I have seen factory steel wheels in the US on Ebay. IIRC, they are in the 16x6.5-16x7 range. Not sure the BS would be right for a Gen III, but you could also check into fitting 17x7.5 FJ Cruiser steelies. The Gen III have a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, correct?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Update:

The Rocketfish mounts from Best Buy worked great off-road. They held up well to the vibration of wash board roads and the bumping around of the smaller rough trails. No problems so far with the mounts.

Also, after many, many miles, the suspension has settled really well. The ride has gotten smoother without any real noticiable drop in ride height. The down side to the heavy duty suspension is the lack of articulation whil eon the trail. However, that cannot be blamed solely on the OME set up, the IFS/IRS do have limiting factors in themselves. But, for the type of off-road driving I do, it works perfectly.

pajombre03

Observer
Just a quick update:

Today the transmission was acting perfectly normal. Could it be that the ECU was just relearning?

That is exactly what it was doing. The same thing happened in my 03 XLS. Replaced the battery and it shifted hard hard. Give a bit and the computer relearns and goes right back to normal. That's the answer the dealer gave us with the same question as to why it drove that way.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Update: The down side to the heavy duty suspension is the lack of articulation whil eon the trail.

Have you run any trails with your rig fully laden? I've found the HD set up performs at it's best laden for a trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman