Montero by Gophere

gophere

Adventurer
lisahighrock026.jpg

highrockpano.jpg

Hey, I was holding off to import a truck, but I found a good one here.
1998 montero with all the goodies.
I will post some pick when I take them.
Thanks, oh and its White!

I dont know much..........

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Sweet. Can't wait to see it. Sliders? I'm not sure anyone makes them in the US. But, they're not hard to have made by any competent fabricator.

Cambo

Adventurer
Congrats! I am pretty new to Mitsu's also, but so far there is lots to love. Did you get the Montero or Montero sport? Not familiar with the 2.5, I am guessing thats the 4 cylinder? If so you won't have the locker and if it is the regular Montero you can swap the rear end from a 3.5 with the 9.5" rear end with air locker. Lots of fun mods to do! Lets start with some pics though. :smiley_drive:

gophere

Adventurer
-OK: Heres the low down on my montero
1998 with 130,000 White:wings:
3.5l SOHC V6 Auto
Activetrac 4WD
Factory rear air locker
3-mode variable shocks
A/T mode changeover switch

It goes in on the 1st to Portland Mitsubishi for a update on the preventive stuff and I am going to get a set of 31-10.50s this weekend. This is going to be a great truck!
-Any suggestion on a good set of Tires? I ran Revos for years on my XJ but this Montero is totally different and I would like to try something different.
-The Activetrac locked up a bit when I 1st tried it but it works great now!
-I want an ARB bumper but the RockRails need to come 1st

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I think you're right on target with prioritizing the sliders over the bumper for now, if you must choose. Also, I'd recommend waiting on the bumper until you can get the winch too. Now, for the gen 2.5, I think you'll need a small amount of fabrication done to get the ARB bumper to fit.

RogerH on here has this same model and he can fill you in on what's required. I can tell you that whoever did the work for him made it fit perfectly. Wil at Sierra Expeditions can help you sort out which bumper you need. (He's the one Roger ordered from.)

I think you're really going to like this truck. I haven't even seen pictures and I'm already happy for you. 3.5L engine, rear locker, expo white...just add sliders and a fridge and you're all done ;)

As for tires, where do you plan on taking it? Are you thinking an MT or an AT tire? I think you have a ton of options to go with. The new Goodyear MTR is a good all-around choice, but then there's the BFG ATs or KM2s, or the Maxxis Bighorns, or the Cooper STTs, or the...or the..., and so on.

gophere

Adventurer
tdesanto -Thanks alot for the info man, saw pics of yours and rogers very nice looking! I will get the winch the same time as bumper, that was the main reason for thinking about the bumper.
-dont worry pics are comming.

gophere

Adventurer
...just add sliders and a fridge and you're all done ;)
QUOTE]

The sliders YES but the fridge, not yet. I have spent 2 weeks in my xj and a month in a kayak and not needed it, but then I am not eating steaks on day 16 of a trip!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
-OK: Heres the low down on my montero
1998 with 130,000 White:wings:
3.5l SOHC V6 Auto
Activetrac 4WD
Factory rear air locker
3-mode variable shocks
A/T mode changeover switch

It goes in on the 1st to Portland Mitsubishi for a update on the preventive stuff and I am going to get a set of 31-10.50s this weekend. This is going to be a great truck!
-Any suggestion on a good set of Tires? I ran Revos for years on my XJ but this Montero is totally different and I would like to try something different.
-The Activetrac locked up a bit when I 1st tried it but it works great now!
-I want an ARB bumper but the RockRails need to come 1st

Good choice. A good buddy of mine also recently bought a 98 with the 'winter package' (contains the locking diff). He added an ARB bumper up front.

Roger Brown (4crawler.com) can send you an 'unassembled' set of sliders but he doesn't sell them assembled any more as far as I know. At least when I tried to buy them it took him so long to build up a set (2-3 months) that I just gave up on waiting.

Instead I opted for a set of the Trail Gear 67" sliders (http://www.trail-gear.com/rock-sliders). They're built for a Toy but will work with the Montero. Made 1 3/4" X .120 round DOM tubing. Many have used them for their montero's and I don't ever recall seeing/hearing any complaints from anyone. Cost is $140 + shipping from Fresno CA.

If you ever opt for a front locker, you can get an ARB RD110 locker. I also heard someone's making a detroit for the front but don't know whom.

As for tires, yes, it highly depends on the kind of wheeling you're going to do. I personally prefer BFG MT's but the new KM2's seem to wear pretty quickly on the road (GRRRR!!!) unlike their old MT KM's.

Also depending on where you plan to wheel it's pretty simple to upgrade to a larger tire. 33's should fit without any lift. I run 35x12.5's BFG MT KM2' with a 2" body lift.

Last edited:

gophere

Adventurer
Thanks offroader for the slider info, I am oing to grap s set of the taco slides
as for tires just ordered a set of 5
Wrangler DuraTrac 31x10.50 r15 they will get but on next week:)

Cambo

Adventurer
Ok, the Gen 2.5, gotcha!! I thought you were talking about the motor. Sounds pretty sweet! Make sure to take some before pics!

RttH

Congratulations on the purchase! I have really enjoyed mine. Mine did not have the rear locker or adjustable shocks so I paid a pretty penny to get those after market.

I have heard that the adjustable shocks are awesome and actually last a long time, but since mine didn't have them I bought ARB Old Man Emu (OME) heavy duty. My factory shocks would bottom out just having 4 people aboard.

The ARB bumper looks great (thanks Wil!!)but "for me" it is just a heavy ornament as I do not have a winch nor plan on one. If I am solo I stay away from extreme stuff and if I am with some other vehicle they usually have a winch. I do have front and rear lockers and a pair of Maxtrax to throw under the tires if needed, and a hi-lift jack with accessories.

All the after market stuff adds up in $$ and weight, so choose wisely! Weight and too big a tire and your truck will suffer. I am running 33 x 10.5 x 15 KM2's and am extremely surprised and happy with there handling and performance. But for these Colorado mountains offroad I had to re gear. I have had AT and Mt (both BFG's) in 31 and 32" x 11.5. You can easily run 32's or 33's ( I would stay narrow) and not notice any deficits in performance, nor need to modify anything.

Sliders are a good first mod and like Tony said, any reputable shop should be able to make you some. I think mine were only $200 to fab and install.

So, as you can see I am long winded. First get some sliders and tires and go play! You will know what you need as you get out there more.

Hope I was able to help some!

RogerH:victory:

Last edited:

gophere

Adventurer
OK couple of pics in the driveway
DSCN1504.jpg

I love having the slider windows in the back, the dogs happy and I still have a back seat.
DSCN1506.jpg

I will put it though some tests next week after the tires get put on and what not.

gophere

Adventurer
RogerH, thanks for the info man! I would love some big tires put have no use for them so I am going with 31s.
my stock xj got me through more than I thought it would for 100,000miles from baja to northern Canada so I think I will be OK, The jeep had 28s on it

RttH

Your welcome! I live in a rocky area so getting my belly off the ground is helpful. Theres nothing wrong with 31's, look at what the Camel Trophy Land Rovers ran and they did just fine.

Yours looks awesome! Enjoy!

gophere

Adventurer
1998 montero ready to go

So got the monty back today from the service. all up to date and 5 new 31s
going to run the Barlow road From Mt Hood to the east this weekend and give it a test/workout, I will take pics and post up when I get back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior