Montero by Gophere

gophere

Adventurer
montero009.jpg

Post 100 miles on the new Durartracs.
balanced very easy, just worried about wear.
Not too loud. only somewhat of a hum
They do wander on the highway alittle, montero sways a bit anyways
great feel offroad, super wet rock traction!
all in all so far so good, we will see after a few thousand more miles
montero005.jpg

Montero handled great on the hills and curves up the mountain.
Then climbed like a goat when I hit the steep stuff. the auto hold button is great.
montero004.jpg

It did not want to go into 4-low to easy the 1st few times but then loosened up.
The montero does not have the flex my XJ did but it as a rear locker:victory:
montero007.jpg

I am still going to try to get out this weekend but got buddys the might come up so who knows.
Just took the rear door panel off to make a little table on it like so many of you guys have, I love the Idea so i am going for it!
montero008.jpg

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Nice looking genII.5! I have the trail gear sliders as well, and just got back from Moab, where they took many many hits, and show no damage except paint...

Not sure if you sorted manual hubs or not, but Aisins came on the old Dodge/Mitsu mini pickups (D50/mighty max). These are compatible with your truck, and the AWD will still function as normal, as long as the hubs are locked. There are also models available from Superwinch, and Rugged Ridge as well.

Might be time to change your transfer case oil since it sounds like it hasn't gotten much use in a while, up till you got it?

You're gonna love this rig!

gophere

Adventurer
Nice looking genII.5! I have the trail gear sliders as well, and just got back from Moab, where they took many many hits, and show no damage except paint...

Not sure if you sorted manual hubs or not, but Aisins came on the old Dodge/Mitsu mini pickups (D50/mighty max). These are compatible with your truck, and the AWD will still function as normal, as long as the hubs are locked. There are also models available from Superwinch, and Rugged Ridge as well.

Might be time to change your transfer case oil since it sounds like it hasn't gotten much use in a while, up till you got it?

You're gonna love this rig!
Thanks man!
Did you use the frame gussets from them too? or just weld to the frame?
Well anyways How did you hook yours up?
have not got to the hubs yet, the shop said I should be ok with the 31s, but I am still thinking of it, every little bit helps.
I wonder if I can get warn premium hubs?
just had all the fluids changed and what not when I got it, and yes, they all needed it badly.
and I really need to order those sliders!

I really like the body style of your generation Montero. The tires look great! Keep posting your progress. I'm thinking about building a table for the rear door also.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Thanks man!
Did you use the frame gussets from them too? or just weld to the frame?
Well anyways How did you hook yours up?
have not got to the hubs yet, the shop said I should be ok with the 31s, but I am still thinking of it, every little bit helps.
I wonder if I can get warn premium hubs?
just had all the fluids changed and what not when I got it, and yes, they all needed it badly.
and I really need to order those sliders!

Welded them right to the frame. Thought about bolting them on, but in the end we ended up just sticking them directly. Some guys have also notched the body where the seam sticks down, to get them a little higher, but I elected to just put them close. I also mounted them on a slight angle, so they wouldn't reduce clearance, but could still be used as a step...

As far as hubs, I don't believe Warn ever made a hub for our trucks, but IMHO it's just as well, as a lot of my Nissan buddies have had issues with the hardware Warn uses. Never ever heard of a problem with the all metal Aisins, IF you can find them.

gophere

Adventurer
thanks for that info on the sliders rattle&thump, I plan on just welding them on also.

got the table done, not super-uber nice, but was onle $10.48!\
I think I will have to make a sign saying ' weight limit 20 lbs.' or I know one of my buddys will try to sit or stand on it and I did not make it that sturdy.

montero0113.jpg

montero0114.jpg

montero0112.jpg

one of my bits was dull and I ended up cracking the plastic alittle, I was almost done so I just stabled it for now until I can reinforce that spot

vent visors were also a must
montero0118.jpg

Next up is a Ipad mount and a good cupholder somewhere here:
montero0116.jpg

Oh and I think I am going to get a Hella Marine LED flood light for here:
montero0119.jpg

gophere

Adventurer
Well had the shovel on the factory roofrack
it howled pretty good so.....
I removed the grap handle on the #5 door
doormount2.jpg

Then replaced it with some QuickFists like so
doormount4.jpg

nice and solid mount and fits perfect with the home depot boxes. those boxes strap down right in line with the tiedowns and dont move and inch
doormount6.jpg

The Montero is starting to come together pretty well for me

doormount5.jpg

Next up is to mount the Hi-Lift on the bolts from the 3rd set of seats
just enough room along side the boxes
doormount-1.jpg

gophere

Adventurer
more work on the storage area
got the hi-lift a secure place to ride, bolted down to the spot for the third row seat ,no rattle either:wings:

012.jpg

011.jpg

now I need to go to home depot to get a couple of angle brackets so I can mount the qv-50 like so

014.jpg

nice and slick, just open the slider window and air up

015.jpg

oh and mounted the fire put-outer back there too

RttH

Great work!! You are giving me ideas! Its always a warm fuzzy feeling when you get your truck set up to your personal needs. Great job!

gophere

Adventurer
sliders

Picked up some Trailgear 67in sliders.
I did not have the skill to weld them on so..

Columbia Rovers sure did. and big thanks to their team.
Think I would have liked something an inch longer but these turned out great!

lisahighrock022-1.jpg

RttH

Looks nice! I am always excited when I see you have posted, I'm having fun watching your build. Great job so far!:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan