Montero Engine Mods?

JamesW

Adventurer
Swapping in a 4m41 will be a gigantic ball ache, for very minimal gains. If you drive it in a way to utilise the torque it will end up very thirsty. My 3.0 24v petrol mk2 smokes my friends 3.2 mk3, and when they are getting driven that hard the MPG figures end up very similar.

Petrol has far better driveability for day to day use, a diesel mk3 becomes terribly thirsty if you cruise above 55mph

Would it be worth putting it on a dyno to see is it down on power by a significant amount? It isn't going to be fast like a car, but it shouldn't feel underpowered either

MNMONTERO

Hey there! I live in Minnesota as well (Minneapolis) and used to take my 98 Montero to the atv trails in Aitkin. I've taken my 2005 off-roading near River Falls, WI. My mechanic (Nick Nelson of Nelson's Performance Auto) is a big off-roader and got me the hook-up for that spot since it is private land, and the Montero impressed many of the Jeep guys! I too am looking to do some minor upgrades, so we'll have to chat more at some point.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
However, when these motors reach about 100k stuff starts getting worn. Mine is noticeably more responsive after rebuilding the top end (at just under 100k).

I've been putting this off, but after reading your post, I plan on starting the purchasing process.
With 178K on the clock it has certainly lost it's pep on at highway speeds...still performs fine on slow trails.

Hammerprepper

Thanks for all the posts! I've been doing more research, and i have to agree a MIVEC engine swap would be cool. as i drive my Monty more and more I've really began to appreciate the power it has. I'm still surprised on how little aftermarket performance tech there is for this engine. (not really surprised on aftermarket off road limitations) I've also been giving google translate a work out (to some hilarious ends =) ) I've found that they only sell the 3.8 in mexico. you can however buy a 2016 if you want which is tempting by it's self as well as the diesel Triton, but it seems the Montero is doomed to a life of spark plugs here in north america.

So, I've now settled down a bit and i"m looking at doing a good tune up, and maybe new exhaust. just bought a new K&N filter. Anyone have a favorite brand for spark plugs? Any one put aftermarket Exhaust on their Monty, and do you have audio/ video of the new sound?

Thanks guys!!!

Ryan

Inyo_man

Any one put aftermarket Exhaust on their Monty, and do you have audio/ video of the new sound?

Many fellas in Australia replace the exhaust system with a three inch and report some power gain...
I deleted the massive suitcase size oem muffler and the resonator in the rear so there was one less thing hanging down while off highway.
Sorry I don't have any audio of before and after. Here is a link to the muffler I installed.

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/mufflers...muffler-2-5-inside-diameter-medium-sound.html

Hammerprepper

Could you take a little vid of you exhaust sound? I'm thinking about cutting off my turkey roaster and going with a flowmaster muffler, but i cant seem to find any sound clips of a 3.8 monty.

KyleT

Explorer
Go with a magnaflow. Much better quality, sound, and all stainless with a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammerprepper

Hey there! I live in Minnesota as well (Minneapolis) and used to take my 98 Montero to the atv trails in Aitkin. I've taken my 2005 off-roading near River Falls, WI. My mechanic (Nick Nelson of Nelson's Performance Auto) is a big off-roader and got me the hook-up for that spot since it is private land, and the Montero impressed many of the Jeep guys! I too am looking to do some minor upgrades, so we'll have to chat more at some point.

Hey Hey! I agree we'll have to chat, maybe head up to gilbert MN and play around in the old Iron mine OHV park!! Im out in the buffalo area only about 50 min outside of Minnie.

Ahymen

Many fellas in Australia replace the exhaust system with a three inch and report some power gain...
I deleted the massive suitcase size oem muffler and the resonator in the rear so there was one less thing hanging down while off highway.
Sorry I don't have any audio of before and after. Here is a link to the muffler I installed.

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/mufflers...muffler-2-5-inside-diameter-medium-sound.html

Notice any change in high rpm driving. I've read about the Aussies doing this with some better pull on hills. I can only imagine it has some drone though. No?

Inyo_man

Notice any change in high rpm driving. I've read about the Aussies doing this with some better pull on hills. I can only imagine it has some drone though. No?

It feels a bit more free flowing with the Aero.

Most of the fellas in Australia bump their exhaust up to three inch and add headers, that's how they get better pull on hills (some put in 3.5 inch).

The Aero has an internal resonator, so the drone is very low tone (very similar to the MaganaFlow).
If you're worried about the sound, first replace the muffler and keep the rear resonator.
You can always delete the rear resonator at a later date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears