Montero vs. Trooper

OneTime

Adventurer
I lost my Little DD Focus a few weeks ago and I am down to my 92 3FE LC 80. I will be doing 20,000 miles next year between work and school. The LC get 13 mpg and is costly to maintain with the AWD. Plus the underpowered engine of my model have made me decide to let her go. She is built like a tank and has 200,000 and I know will last another 200,000 but the platform doesnt meet my needs.

My choices are a Monty or Trooper. I have owned both before. A 95 SR Monty. Loved it, wish I still had it, didnt know what a gem I had at the time. I also had a 92 white box on wheels Trooper. I loved the no frills truck.

I know more about the Monty and am leaning towards another Gen 2 SR or 1999 Gen 2.5. Honestly I will do a alot of highway miles with either truck. So comfort and MPG are paramount. But I want something that can also preform off road. The only mods I will do Is a small lift, tires and lights. Oh and I would like something that does not have an open diff. Again I think the Montero wins with its 4wd drive select system over the Isuzu TOD. I may be wrong.

Relaiablity is key as well. I know that the timing belt in the Montero is crucial. I dont know what the pit falls are of the Trooper. What I really dont want is to be under powered!. The LC is a dog. I really would like to avoid that again. I dont think I will go bigger than 32" tires. I would like to keep stock gears.

I think the Montero would be more comfy. But man a white base model no frills Trooper with a small lift and bigger tires sure looks cool! I do not like the more luxury trim Trooper. Too much plastic. Last thing Arm rest!!! Has to have arm rests!!!

Hayduke950

Observer
I have a '95 base model Trooper- 3.2 5 speed manual (no TOD!). Never had a single problem in 165,000 miles, not even minor problems. I've been more than happy with it.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Good choices, but I don't think either one of them will offer you too much better in MPG. I don't know much about the Monty's so not a whole lot I can offer up there. But, I do know the Trooper very well. I really miss mine. Trooper pros are plentiful. Nice size and a lot of room. Power is decent, but it would not be confused with a sports car, or even a performance car for that matter. However, it had no trouble pulling hills in AZ and CO at 80+ pretty well loaded and oversized tires at about 3500 RPM. I usually got an average of just under 17MPG on a mix of DD driving, so not too great. You can get the more powerful 3.5 engine starting with the 98 models. 98 and 99 you are more likely to find a non TOD model, but don't let that be a deal breaker for for you, apparently there is a mod you can do to make it non TOD. $50 in parts and a couple of hours and it is done (so I have been told, mine was non TOD so I didnt have this problem). You can fit 32's on it without modification (read no lift). Great off road capability even in stock form (I just had 32's and never had a problem). Decent skids from the factory (a bit thicker steel than most OEM skids). Way overbuilt rear axle. Most came with the G80 "locker" in the rear. Very beefy and stout front diff. OK handling for an oversized box on wheels (though in could feel a little tippy in higher speed cornering). Can be found with manual tranny (though rare, if you find a newer model (99-02) 5 speed it will be non TOD). most had arm rests on the front seats (though mine didn't. Tune ups are easy to do and not very expensive. Can put manual locking hubs to save your cv's as well as your MPG's.
Trooper con's are not that many. Not enough room in back to sleep in unless a platform is built. Can not field service the front axles (keep an eye on your lift and on the cv boots and you should be fine for the most part). Enigine likes to burn oil (about 1 quart every 1000 miles (though this was suppesdly remedied in late 01 models) so check oil level often). #3 spark plug is a PIA to get to. 4L30E transmission is a little to light duty for the size and weight of the truck and is a sealed unit, usually will only last about 150K (mine died at about 145K and was $3700 to rebuild). Clutch slave cylinder is internal, so if you have a manual and this goes out it coud be a few hundred to replace. Factory Cd changer likes to eat CD's. MPG not that great. Computer will throw codes if you use a spark plug it doesn't like. Aftermarket support is not the greatest (but there is good stuff out there for it and it is usually reasonably priced). Intake Manifold gasket prone to failure (if you are even slightly mechanically inclined you can have this changed in an afternoon, and the gasket is right around $35).

All and all, I loved my Trooper and it never left me stranded and always got me to where I wanted to go. It was a great truck and I really do miss it. I am thinking about getting another one very soon. I hope this helped a bit.

OneTime

Adventurer
Datrupr, Thank you very informative. There are ton more Troopers for sale here in Phnx then Montero. The Montero does better with MPG. But sounds like the Trooper is a simplier engine. So am I to understand the TOD is not a good thing? The tranny only lasting 150,000 scares me. Many that I am looking at afre over 100,000 miles. I guess it boils down to a power issue. I like the LC put the lack of high end power is killing me. MY tranny will last forever which is a plus, but it also is power sucker.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I don't think the TOD is neccesarily a bad thing. It is on only when you want it, so, essentially you can run the Trooper in RWD, AWD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. Any transmission is going to last if taken care of, however it is a little harder to moniter with the Trooper because it is a sealed unit, so don't let that steer you away. Just take them for a test drive, you'll know if it is slipping or not. You may even find one or two where the trans has already been done. Check em out.

robertdarin

Adventurer
find a five speed trooper. if you can. i run a 33in tire and still get 16mpg with a full expo load. (this is with that stupid 10% etho junk) i like the monty as well, but as far as bang for the buck i do not believe there is a better buy than a trooper. i just drove 2,500 miles over thanksgiving week (arkansas to moab and back) the trooper did well. I burned no oil (use a synth).

robertdarin

Adventurer
i asume you mean me.:D usualy about 70mph. untill i got to that 11,000 foot pass in the mountians. I also did fins n things with a full load...

L8 APEKS

Observer
I will say I miss my Montero...'89 V6 LWB.

8" front ring gear, 9" rear, LSD and 4.56 gears stock. Makes my Jeep look like a Tinkertoy.

I still wish I would have never sold it, and when I'm done with the Jeep I will be buying another Montero.

Incusus

Adventurer
datrupr said:
Good choices, but I don't think either one of them will offer you too much better in MPG.(snip)

what he said, exactly :)

I'd opt for a standard trooper if you can find one for the gas mileage and additional control you get from a stick. That said. I'll add that I love my '99 auto, and that ToD is a good tool for on the road, but better when its modded.

The trans is good enough, you just need to make sure you maintain it with regular partial fluid changes. Thats not a bad thing for any vehicle, by the way. If you get a Trooper auto, drop the pan and change the filter when you get it unless the seller can hand you a receipt as proof he did it recently. If you do those two things, I doubt you will ever have trans problems.

Scott Brady

Founder
Get a 3.5L Trooper with a 5-speed. Install Superwinch locking hubs on the front. Install 235/85 R16 tires with OME springs, shocks and adjust the torsion bar to match the rear.

The G80 rear LSD is a real bonus.

You can easily get 18-20 MPG with this combo and it will do all you ever ask of it.

OneTime

Adventurer
Im looking at a 01 on CL with 140,000. It says it is AWD. Is it the same as the AWD on my 80? Im trying to det away from that. And where is the G80 emblem to find out if it has LSD?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OneTime said:
Im looking at a 01 on CL with 140,000. It says it is AWD. Is it the same as the AWD on my 80? Im trying to det away from that. And where is the G80 emblem to find out if it has LSD?

AWD is probably the TOD system. It is not the same as in your 80. With the TOD you have the option to run in 2WD, AWD (TOD) 4Hi, and 4Lo. If you look at the plaque under the hood on the firewall you will see the option ciode G80 clearly stamped there.

Incusus

Adventurer
L8 APEKS said:
If you're talking about the Eaton G80, it's a Locker, not an LSD. My Volvo has the same locker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMZ9vcYVSg

He's talking about the G80 option code, which is a limited slip, not a locker.

Onetime: If you open the hood and look back on the firewall, there should be a small (2x3" or so) engraved metal plate with all of the option codes on it. If you see G80, you're good ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior