Montero vs. Trooper

datrupr

Expedition Leader
The G80 is technically an LSD, however it is amazing and will provide full lock up when needed. It never let me down. General Motors uses the G80 in some of its applications, and they advertise it as a "locker".

Incusus

Adventurer
datrupr said:
The G80 is technically an LSD, however it is amazing and will provide full lock up when needed. It never let me down. General Motors uses the G80 in some of its applications, and they advertise it as a "locker".

wait a sec, I always thought the Eaton locker and the G80 were different? Someone please clarify. To me, a locker is something you throw a switch on the dash and manually engage the rears. I'd be interested in clarification...

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Incusus said:
wait a sec, I always thought the Eaton locker and the G80 were different? Someone please clarify. To me, a locker is something you throw a switch on the dash and manually engage the rears. I'd be interested in clarification...

You are basically right in your train of though on locker vs. LSD. The G80 is technically an LSD, but it will give you full lock up on the slightest slip, and maintain lock up until traction is restored. Am I making sense? Back in the late 70's early 80's GM put the G-80 in a lot of their trucks. This became know as the "Grenade" locker, as if too much power is put to it it would literally explode. It works perfect in the Troopers though. And, if you are finding your G-80 not locking up when you need it to, a little careful manipulation with the handbrake will cause it to lock up, providing equal power to both sides. So, because of the way that it works a lot of manufacturers that use it call it a locker.

L8 APEKS

Observer
If it locks both axles at any point in it's action to a 50/50 split, it's technically a locker. Does not need a switch (Detroit Locker, etc) and doesn't matter if it uses clutch packs. The G80 does not allow either of the drive wheels to slip once it's locked up, which means it's not an LSD. An LSD will allow a certain amount of spin on BOTH wheels, even when fully engaged.

"But by its very name, the amount of torque transferred is limited. Plus if one rear wheel has near zero traction, like on ice or slick mud, power stays at the helplessly spinning wheel.

One alternative to an LSD is an automatic mechanical locking differential. Now, during our tests of the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, we discovered that they are the only full-size pickups available with a mechanical locking rear differential. Known as the G80, it's made by Eaton Corporation, one of the oldest names in traction. When one wheel begins to slip, in microseconds the G80 mechanically locks the two rear wheels together."

Incusus

Adventurer
ok, sorry for the hijack....

I just had to get confirmation from someone who's actually seen the inside of one of those things, so I called Indi4x and picked their brains a bit.

It looks like the Eaton G80 and the Isuzu G80 option code are 2 different animals.
- The "G80 option code" refers to a Trac-Loc built clutch style LSD, similar to a Dana Spicer 44 modified for a third member on the +98 Troopers. (prior to '98, they used a Power Brute lsd.)
-The Eaton G80 is a cone style mechanical locker and is not in the Trooper

I hate it when I don't know stuff, it bothers me. Again sorry for the hijack.

L8 APEKS

Observer
Incusus said:

I just had to get confirmation from someone who's actually seen the inside of one of those things, so I called Indi4x and picked their brains a bit.

It looks like the Eaton G80 and the Isuzu G80 option code are 2 different animals.
- The "G80 option code" refers to a Trac-Loc built clutch style LSD, similar to a Dana Spicer 44 modified for a third member on the +98 Troopers. (prior to '98, they used a Power Brute lsd.)

Awesome...thanks for the clarification! :)

Scott Brady

Founder
The G80 is simply a very effective clutch style LSD. It is not a "locker" in design or function.

Further performance can be gained in extremely technical terrain by pulling up slightly on the parking brake to preload the rear brakes and help equalize the clutch.

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
Incusus said:

All you had to do was ask.

robertdarin

Adventurer
i think i have seen that debate about 10 times before on planetisuzoo:hehe:... i guess it is a common question.

L8 APEKS

Observer
expeditionswest said:
The G80 is simply a very effective clutch style LSD. It is not a "locker" in design or function.

Further performance can be gained in extremely technical terrain by pulling up slightly on the parking brake to preload the rear brakes and help equalize the clutch.

...but it's not an LSD, because it fully locks...it does not slip when fully engaged. It achieves a 50/50 torque ratio between the 2 drive axles. By definition, that's a locker.

Watch this video, they compare 3 different types of axles:
1) Open
2) LSD
3) Eaton G80 Locker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8nAbg5suFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlacQlBGcQ

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I think the G-80 discussion, while an excellent discussion, needs to be started in another thread, as this has now fully taken away from OneTime's original question. Back on topic, I think you should go with the Trooper.

Incusus

Adventurer
based on my limited experiance, I'd go for the Trooper. Any used vehicle is going to have its quirks, and I think the Trooper is a better choice for expo-type travel due to its increased cargo capacity and better off-road capabilities out of the box. as far as limited aftermarker support goes, the basics are very well covered by ARB indi4x, Calmini, etc. Go for a standard, but if you have to have the auto, go ahead and get ToD and just put in an override switch for 4-hi capability.

my $0.02

portaladmin

L8 APEKS said:
...but it's not an LSD, because it fully locks...

I can assure you, the G80 LSD in the Isuzu trooper is does not fully lock. It is a traditional clutch-style LSD.

edit: sorry, logged into the wrong account.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior