Montero vs. Trooper

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
portaladmin said:
I can assure you, the G80 LSD in the Isuzu trooper is does not fully lock. It is a traditional clutch-style LSD.

X2 I can tell you having seen more than my fair share of them in person that it is not a locker. It is a limited slip.

OneTime

Adventurer
You guys are fine with your G80 comments here. They are all educational to me. I test looked at 99 Monty this week. The truck is amazing and would probably suit me needs better than my LC 80. But I decided to keep with 80. Buying a new rig and selling my 80 just isn't themost profitable right now. If it ever is. As long as gas stays low Im better off keeping what I got.

I did my first tune up oh her and she runs great. So as long as gas stays under 3 buck a gallon, I'm good. If it hits over 3 a gallon I might reconsider. Another factor is my 80 will only be a DD for a year. Then I get a company car when I finish school, and the 80 will go back to part time duty. I think if I convert to part time 4WD and regear, I can get the MPG and power out of the 80 I would get in a Monty or Trooper.

Thanks again for all the comments. They were not in vain. I learned a lot.

L8 APEKS

Observer
OneTime said:
I find it interesting that in four pages no post for the Monty. Shame, they are great rigs!!

I posted for the Montero! So much so, in fact, that if my Cherokee XJ wasn't financed, I'd sell my Jeep tomorrow and buy another Montero instead. :)

It's the best kept secret in 4x4's. The only drawback was the IFS, but you can convert it to live axle for a grand or so.

Good engine, sturdy frame, 9" rear end, 4.62's stock. Lots of interior space. It rocks.

Justice R

Adventurer
Incusus said:
based on my limited experiance, I'd go for the Trooper. Any used vehicle is going to have its quirks, and I think the Trooper is a better choice for expo-type travel due to its increased cargo capacity and better off-road capabilities out of the box. as far as limited aftermarker support goes, the basics are very well covered by ARB indi4x, Calmini, etc. Go for a standard, but if you have to have the auto, go ahead and get ToD and just put in an override switch for 4-hi capability.

my $0.02

Better off road capabilities out of the box? not sure about that one..while I admit I'm biased. The Factory rear air locker makes the Montero more capable out of the box in my opinion.

I like the fact that you can slap 33" tires on the montero with no lift and with the factory rear locker your ready to tackle difficult trails right away. The Mitsu 9.5" rear diff in the 3.5 models is another plus. Add an ARB front locker and your good to go.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Seriously how many of these "THIS -VS- THAT" threads are you going to start???

L8 APEKS said:
The only drawback was the IFS, but you can convert it to live axle for a grand or so.
There is no such thing as a $1000 SAS on any truck(unless you get the axle, springs, and D-shaft for FREE). Beware. To do it right, you're looking at more like $2500 minimum and that's for a widely converted truck like a Toyota(meaning there are alot of options that lead to better prices). Who knows who makes a front spring hanger for a Montero? So you're looking at far dearer peices to do the swap. All the little things really add up espescialy if you're NOT someone who can do EVERY SINGLE thing your self. It's just not possible.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior