More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

K2ZJ

Explorer
K2ZJ, you are above any logic and no laws pertains to you, I cant argue that.

Now back on topic - How are you jeep guys going to fit all that new lawn furniture in your JKU, roof rack?

How am I above logic, by telling an anecdote about how the law and my insurance are unrelated? Also please provide a link to a law that you claim I am above, such as driving over the GVWR.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Quite a few cases here in Australia. Once again the topic was about worldwide over landing and travelling internationally for long distances over gvm will be an issue

Depends how that GVW is calculated.

Remember, your suspension and brakes, vital safety items, are attached to your GAWR. If you don't exceed your axle rating, you cannot exceed your suspension and brakes simply by going over GVW, this is by design and by law (in North America).

People often bring in cooling and drivetrain. But those are tied into your GCWR (including trailer). If your truck is rated to tow a 5000 lbs trailer, then you CANNOT stress your cooling system no matter how much you exceed the GVW. Unless, somehow, your payload is greater than 5000 lbs.

Now, the manufacturer has all the rights in the world to deny you warranty...

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Both "weak" and "most overbuilt, durable vehicle on the road in the US by far" are exaggerations, on the opposite end of the scale.

They're high quality trucks, with components that are designed to last, for the most part. The 100/200's over complicated luxry electronics won't be desirable for overlanding.

Definitely not "overbuilt". The only two vehicles I'd label as such is the H1 and the late model Power Wagon. Both have incredibly strong frames, axles, and when properly equipped, can gross well over 12,000 lbs (up-armored HMMWVs and a 3500 dually, which shares the frame with PW). The LC can't touch them in that aspect.

Sorry buddy, my next door neighbor works for an armored car company, and spends about half of they year in the middle east and south america for government contracts and high-net worth individuals. The LC200 is their platform of choice until you get to tactical armored vehicles. Weak lol... I will agree it is fuggly in stock form!

http://www.interarmored.com/en/company/faq

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
There was a time when I would defend my Jeep in threads like this, in comparisons to Land Cruisers, etc.

That has changed.

A few years ago I was starting to get tired of using my Jeep as a daily driver so after a little research I bought my HDJ81. Only time I've driven my Jeep since then was to put it in storage. For an "expedition" or off road travel vehicle the Land Cruiser is superior in absolutely every way. Fuel economy, build quality, comfort, reliability, payload...Jeep doesn't even come close. Living in Canada I have access to all manner of diesel Land Cruisers which just makes the comparison even worse.

Howdy

What Jeep did You have, was it a year 2012+ unlimited Wrangler

RoyJ

Adventurer
Sorry buddy, my next door neighbor works for an armored car company, and spends about half of they year in the middle east and south america for government contracts and high-net worth individuals. The LC200 is their platform of choice until you get to tactical armored vehicles. Weak lol... I will agree it is fuggly in stock form!

http://www.interarmored.com/en/company/faq

Where did I say the LC200 was weak? Did you even read what you quoted?

I said the H1 and late model Power Wagons are overbuilt. Nothing about LC200 being weak. Armored cars are built with everything from Explorers to to Esclades. Not sure what point you're trying to make...

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
With the jeep platform not offering a lot of space as a minumist myself I would like to see your set up for extended overland travel.

Web wheelers need not apply

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
With the jeep platform not offering a lot of space as a minumist myself I would like to see your set up for extended overland travel.

Web wheelers need not apply

Howdy

I can say that you can fit alot of stuff on the bars and on the unlimited you have some space under the backseat and under the front seats

I have some random picture on my former 2012 Sahara 2 door here

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/jeep_wrangler_sahara_2012_black_forest_green&page=all

After a year I bought a 2013 Wrangler Rubicon 10th anniversary

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/10th_anniversary_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_unlimited_&page=all

Camping pictures http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/outdoor_and_camping&page=all

I have some videos here

https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

Here's the setup I used for 2 years from Alaska->Argentina in my 2000 TJ:

I built this box for about $100
tj_box_complete1-768x1024.jpg

and this pic shows the inside the best, because I had the roof off in Belize.
naked_jeep1-1024x768.jpg

Important stuff was locked in the box, everything else (food, water, etc) was sitting on top of the box.
It was perfect for me.

-Dan

jeepgc

Adventurer
Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Howdy

I can say that you can fit alot of stuff on the bars and on the unlimited you have some space under the backseat and under the front seats

I have some random picture on my former 2012 Sahara 2 door here

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/jeep_wrangler_sahara_2012_black_forest_green&page=all

After a year I bought a 2013 Wrangler Rubicon 10th anniversary

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/10th_anniversary_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_unlimited_&page=all

Camping pictures http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/outdoor_and_camping&page=all

I have some videos here

https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

Nice use of space!
What are the red canisters on each side of the roll bar?
What do you carry for self recovery gear?
Do you air down?
Fuel capacity and range?
What would you like to carry that you cant or wont?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Here's the setup I used for 2 years from Alaska->Argentina in my 2000 TJ:

I built this box for about $100
tj_box_complete1-768x1024.jpg

and this pic shows the inside the best, because I had the roof off in Belize.
naked_jeep1-1024x768.jpg

Important stuff was locked in the box, everything else (food, water, etc) was sitting on top of the box.
It was perfect for me.

-Dan
Amazing trip Dan!!
You have one of the lowest cost per day of anyone long distance travelers I have known or talked with, what is your secret?
With all the miles traveled it looks like most were road miles with not a lot of off highway travels, correct?
I looked for pictures of your jeep loaded and was challenged? Do you have your equipment/gear listed anywhere?
What would you do differently if you did your trip again?

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Brand loyalty is stupid. Period.

I have owned tons of vehicles, driven tons for work. I typically build what I want.

If I was building another 4x4... The Jeep axles, frame, or motor (4.0L might but the Ford 300 was better with industrial options) would not be on my list.

Gas motor you cannot beat GM, diesel mechanical 6BT or Mercedes, Trans SM465 (or something -short tough), transfercase dual NP203/205...

I have seen plates pulled for being over weight in BC... and a Toyota will hold more value then a Jeep over here sorry NFLD.

But again I just enjoyed a 30 hour drive through the mountains in a B Class powered by a 6.2L let me tell you 24% grades might be time to put a low range in...

TreyJK

These anti-jeep guys are just jealous that they can't take their doors and tops off 😂
- Jeep Fanboy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Nice use of space!
What are the red canisters on each side of the roll bar?
What do you carry for self recovery gear?
Do you air down?
Fuel capacity and range?
What would you like to carry that you cant or wont?

Howdy from Sweden

I am not an overlander more of a weekend camper, and I use my vehicle as a photo blind for bird/mamal photography and wanted the added security with 4x4 and high ground clearance. Today me and a buddy is going out to shoot birds for 2 days.

The red canisters is two Fire Extinguisher. The camo thing is a tarp and the green bag is a medical bag. To the left is a head tourch wrapped around the bar, I have several of thoose around the bars for interior lights and easy to put on head when needed.

152596013.jpg

I dont have any self recovery gears like a winch and such but I do have a heavy duty recovery strap and schackles, saw, a spade. Sometimes I bring with me my Smitybilt element ramp

Smittybilt-Element-Ramps-00-large.jpg

Winch is for me little expensive and then probably need a new bumper and then need a lift because of the weight and then probably need bigger wheels with the lift. Offen if get stucked, I want to reverse and not forward winching me further in to deep snow. If I had a winch I would probably never use it and IF I had I would probably not be good at operate it safely, they could be dangerous.

I have a Startmonkey 400 EMERGENCY JUMP STARTER for the main battery if needed.

201158_RB_01_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

I did not trust the Stock battery so I changed it to a ODYSSEY Extreme Series Battery PC1220 deep cycle battery

152212651.jpg

I dont have a dual battery system but I recently bought a Goal Zero yeti 400 that I can charge via the Jeeps 12 volt socket or via my solar panels. Today it will be my first test out in the bush with this Goal Zero battery.

156081080.jpg

"Do you air down?" Never done it. But I am thinking to buy a air compressor so I can do it if needed.

"Fuel capacity and range" I have had the unlimited for about 10 months and my longest trip was only 4 days to and Island called Oland and here in south Sweden there are close to every gasstation, so I have no clue.

On the Island Oland 4 days, is that overlanding, no it is not but fun:)

155814900.jpg

155814964.jpg

155814999.jpg

155815137.jpg

"What would you like to carry that you cant or wont" Maybe a roofrack, looks so cool, but would probably not need it. It would not fit in my garage. Get worse fuel milage, noisy? it would cost me for a Gobi rack about 2054 dollar with installation.

It would be nice with a OR-FAB Jeep Wrangler Swing Away Spare Tire / Can Carrier or similar to have my two Lc Industries Water tanks. I dont need it for a bigger tyre just for the Water tanks, so it would be a costly option. To import that to Sweden would cost a fortune. I am not sure that water cans would fit

155267708.jpg

DSC01441.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998