Morryde hinge/gate reinforcement issue

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So it's .396. .021 out of spec. Not a lot, but still. Eyeballing it though I think even at .375 the spacer is too thick. Look at the gap that I have.

What's frustrating is that I have sent the picture of the gap to them and indicated that even eyeballing it, the spacers look to thick based on how the hinge sits after the install.
I believe the steel plate the spacers are cut out of have a tolerance of +/- 0.030, so probably that's within spec. But based on the misalignment you have, could you please take one more photo for me? Try to replicate this photo, it's taken from above the top hinge and shows the hinge, the spacer and the welded-on spacer block on the back of the reinforcement. This is my '13 JKU with hinges and reinforcement and the alignment is fine. Another 0.021" wouldn't really change anything but yours is quite far out of line. Maybe with this photo from your Jeep I can tell what's going on.

JKReinforcement1.jpg

wandererr

Adventurer
I believe the steel plate the spacers are cut out of have a tolerance of +/- 0.030, so probably that's within spec. But based on the misalignment you have, could you please take one more photo for me? Try to replicate this photo, it's taken from above the top hinge and shows the hinge, the spacer and the welded-on spacer block on the back of the reinforcement. This is my '13 JKU with hinges and reinforcement and the alignment is fine. Another 0.021" wouldn't really change anything but yours is quite far out of line. Maybe with this photo from your Jeep I can tell what's going on.

JKReinforcement1.jpg
See attached

Attachments

• 20211116_174730.jpg
    20211116_174730.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the photo, it is very helpful. I took another photo of my tailgate to exactly duplicate your photo so I could analyze what's going on. In the illustration below, my tailgate is at the top and yours is at the bottom. I'll explain all the lines below.

HingeAnalysis.jpg

1. I used the vertical blue lines to scale and align both photos horizontally. The vertical blue rectangles are used to scale the photos vertically. Using these I was able to get both photos to present identical views for comparison.
  2. The yellow rectangles I used to verify that the camera positions fwd/back were the same - you can see that the rectangle borders the top of the hinge and is the same distance from the bottom of the hinge in both photos.
  3. I drew the yellow, red and green lines parallel to my hinge base and leaf, then I duplicated the lines and positioned the duplicates over your hinge. Everything lines up the same on both hinges.
  4. The white rectangle shows the distance between the tailgate and the reinforcement. Again I drew the initial rectangle over my photo, duplicated it and positioned it over your photo. In both photos the clearance is the same. If there was something wrong with the reinforcement's clearance to the tailgate that caused misalignment, this rectangle would show it.
  5. The short white line shows the alignment of the tailgate to the body side. On my Jeep, a slight difference is visible, although this I think it more due to the shape of the recess on the body side where the hinge base bolts than any true misalignment. On your photo, a slight misalignment is visible with this line but it doesn't look like much - maybe an extra 1/16". Doesn't appear to be as much of a misalignment as seen in the earlier photo you sent last night. The difference between this image and your earlier misalignment image is a mystery but I think I can clear that up in a moment.
  6. The green rectangle shows the distance between the plane of the back of the hinge base (yellow line) and the tailgate surface. Again duplicating this rectangle and positioning the duplicate over your photo shows there's actually slightly more space on yours than on mine, but maybe only 1/16". If the tailgate was truly misaligned with the body you would expect this distance to be smaller, not slightly larger. Could be slight differences in the photos, but my conclusion from this rectangle is that the tailgate isn't as misaligned as your earlier photo might seem to show.
  7. The orange rectangle shows the thickness of the body-side spacers. Pretty much the same here although earlier we noted your spacer might be 0.021" thicker due to the tolerance of the spacer material and that's well within the 0.030" tolerance of the steel plate stock the spacers are made from.

My conclusion from the above analysis is that the MORryde parts are within spec and since several thousand of these have been installed and yours is the first problem like this reported, I don't believe the MORryde parts are the problem. So what could the problem be with your installation?

Take a look at the gap between the tailgate and the body, indicated by the red upside-down "V" and number 8. This gap is very large. The effect of a too-large gap will be that when the tailgate is fully open, it will be further from the body than it should be. You said you think the body-side spacer is too thick, which causes the stay rod to be pulled too far out but the photo analysis shows almost no difference between your Jeep and mine, and mine has been working perfectly for years. But the too-large gap would have the same effect as a too-thick spacer, and is probably pulling your stay rod too far.

It's not only the fault of that gap, as I wrote before the stay rod is a very problematic design - Jeep has issued at least 3 new versions of the stay rod, two TSB's and several new versions of the factory hinges to solve this problem. The earliest versions of the stay rod have extremely little tolerance for misadjustment of the tailgate so if your Jeep has one of the earlier versions that gap probably is enough to pull the stay rod out at full open. In their TSB Jeep recommends replacing the stay rod with the latest version to provide more tolerance for misalignment. You may have one of the earlier rev "low tolerance" stay rods, but you may not need to replace yours.

Now to the question of apparent misalignment of the tailgate with the body as shown in your earlier photo - this apparent misalignment could also be caused by the large gap. In the photo analysis above, the both tailgates appear to be aligned the same with the body, perhaps 1/16" further out on yours but your earlier photo shows an apparent misalignment larger than the possible 1/16" show in the analysis. How can this be? Here's a possible explanation - you know the JK tailgate is curved - here's what happens as you widen the gap (I've exaggerated the curve for this illustration). With a narrow gap, the tailgate appears pretty well aligned, but as the gap widens, and when viewed from the side (green arrow) the apparent misalignment grows.

ApparentMisalignment.jpg

My conclusions and recommendations...

1. Based on the photo analysis and the fact that thousands have been installed without this problem being reported I don't believe the MORryde parts are the problem.

2. I recommend you adjust the position of the tailgate to minimize the hinge-side gap - move the tailgate closer to the passenger side of the Jeep.

3. If readjustment doesn't fix the problem, you can do two things:

a. Add a washer to further reduce the swing of the tailgate. A 5/16" stainless split lock washer under the outboard screw of one of the hinges will reduce the swing. In this photo I've put the washer under the screw but without the MORryde hinge stop plate, this configuration reduces the opening swing slightly. Adding the washer and the MORryde stop plate will reduce it a lot. You can try both configurations.

WasherStop.jpg

b. If all else fails to correct the problem, follow the instructions in the Jeep TSB and replace your stay rod with a later revision that has more tolerance.

Sorry I couldn't do this analysis when you first reported the problem, I was traveling/at SEMA and didn't have my JKU with me to do the comparative photo analysis.

wandererr

Adventurer
Not sure if I mentioned this to you or the MOrryde folks, but many years back as a courtesy while having something else done Jeep replaced my stay rod under the TSB so I don't have the original one.

I agree that the gap is the problem. I disagree about having to move the hinge around. The issue with the gap is front/back (as related to the jeep). Moving the hinge will open/close the gap right to left. If I move the hinge left, I will further complicate issues as the stay will have a different path to travel potentially resulting in pulling the stay out even more. Moving it to the right, might lessen the impact but it's not solving the root of the problem.

Anyways, we're going round and round - I believe that while you are correct that 1000's were installed, that does not mean that this is not the issue with the product. Half the market for this has no stay rod. Bottom line is that I had no issues till I installed the tailgate brace with the spacer on the body side. The gate is clearly misaligned as a result of the spacer, and the spacer could be thinner. It's as simple as that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior