Most popular Land Rover to mod for overlanding.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
RHD is completely legal. LHD is more desired by most people. I have a RHD and love it. They actually have a little more leg room than the LHD Defenders as well.

D1 would be the most bang for the buck. The difficult part is finding one that's been maintained well over the years. Some D2's came with rear air suspension (which I'd stay away from). If you do find one with air suspension, it is pretty simple to convert to coils.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
I have an '86 110 and it's an awesome vehicle. It has way more space than my old '96 D1 had. However, my Discovery was quieter, safer, faster, and less indimidating for mechanics to work on, despite the fact that it was more complicated.

When the V8 exploded (literally), my wife convinced me to buy what I really wanted: a 110. I accept that it's more expensive, less safe, louder, and slower, but I just love it. I put a lot of money into it, but it's also an appreciating, or at least non-depreciating, asset.

Another option is a Range Rover Classic. Those things are truly classy, IMHO one of the most beautiful vehicles ever made. I'd have bought one instead of the D1, but at 6'4 I would have had to put in aftermarket seats to drive it, and at that point in my life I wasn't prepared to do something like that. Last night I put my bulkhead back in my 110. The RRC has less interior space than the D1, so depending on how big your family is, that may or may not be an issue.

My advice is to buy a D1 or RRC, enjoy the heck out of it, and if/when the V8 dies, put a diesel in it. Start saving now.

Edit: Maybe this goes without saying, but with any old vehicle, Rover or otherwise, compared to an '08 JK, be prepared to get to know your vehicle a lot better. See my comment about the bulkhead above.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I believe you are interested in popular Land Rovers readily available here in the USA.

That would be the Discovery line. The D1 (94-99), the D2 (99-04), the LR3 (2005-2009), and the LR4 (2010-present). These vehicles are readily available and are very capable. Great for light traveling around the US. Aftermarket upgrades are readily available for all of these trucks and many decent examples are available through normal automotive purchasing channels. On top of that, built examples are available in various for sale sections.

FYI, I'm a LR3 fanboy so that is what I'm going to tell you to go find. Get a 07 or an 08. 05 and 06 are good trucks but I feel like by 07 they got the majority of the bugs worked out. The advantage of the LR3 is space, power, reliability, and comfort. Search this forum for information on the LR3.

However the D1 and D2 are both great trucks. I've seen moderately built D2's do all kind of awesome stuff off road. A D1 with traction aids in the diffs is also quite a beast.

Defenders are awesome. However I wouldn't say they are readily available. Also due to the great scare of 2013, only trucks with original frames and engines are coming in. Personally for me, the appeal kinda goes to crap when trucks with a history of rotting out the chassis and dogs of engines are the only ones readily available...overseas that I now need to import. Great trucks nonetheless but you REALLY need to know ****** you are doing. If you don't you could end up with a truck you don't like that just sits in your driveway taking up space (see it all the time with Series trucks, just waiting for it to happen to defenders).

LR North America did import Defenders legally into the US for a number of years. The Defender 110 was imported in 1993. The Defender 90 in the years 94, 95, 97. Don't even worry about the 1993 Defender 110s. They fetch a premium price. The 94, 95, and 97 trucks can be had for $25~$45k and are usually REALLY nice trucks. BTW these are called "NAS" trucks. Typically not seen in normal automotive selling channels but you can search defender specific forums for vehicles for sale.

If you primarily travel solo or travel light, a D90 is great. A D110 really comes into play when you start carrying a bunch of crap when you go off roading.

I see you are a Jeep Guy. Typically people are like, take a JK 4 door, strip out everything below the frame, install bolt on long arms, Dana 60s, and 37" tires. Then go hit the Rubicon. Don't expect this from a rover. What you can expect is to install a ~2" lift, a wee bit bigger tire and go have a BLAST on the easier trails. Also if fire roads are prevalent in your neck of the woods, then such a vehicle is great for that.

Example here in Georgia. There are TONS of forest service roads and a lot of cool places to go see. However they are 90~120 minutes from here. Then most of the roads are in fairly good shape. There are a few that offer a challenge but not like, a challenge-challenge. A D1/D2/LR3/LR4 would be PERFECT for this. You just cruise along, enjoying everything but if there is a washout or whatever, you just grab low range, cross it, keep going. Then enjoy a nice, comfortable, climate controlled ride home on the interstate...not needing noise cancelling earphones.

The early Range Rovers (now known as range rover classics, RRC) which were imported between 1987-1995 are also great trucks. FYI the 1995 year is very desirable. However they are just as awesome as the earlier trucks. Pretty much don't worry about any of the other range rovers after that.

Now the Range Rover Sport is a cool truck (up until 2013, dunno anything about its replacement model afterwards). Been seeing them down in Australia tearing it up. I have heard bad things about the back seat and full size humans riding in it. However if this isn't a concern, then it is a contender. Also aftermarket is somewhat limited. Sure you can get a lift and tires, but after that, things get scarce.

If you enjoy being a bitter crazy quirky person who can relate to Clint Eastwood's character in the movie, "Gran Torino", then come join us as a Land Rover Series Owner. These are the old, boxy, rough trucks. Available in the US starting around 1963ish to 1974. Also readily imported and they are fairly plentiful. You can find a GREAT truck for under $15k. That said, its still a series truck. You need to be able to turn your own wrench and be prepared for little issues...and big issues. I'd say its similar to a CJ5 that you just kinda keep going.

So there. That is what I think on the Land Rovers available here in the US.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
My first choice for an Overland Rover would be the LR3 or 4. Capability, comfort, utility, dependability. It's the winner. That being said, our 110 will be hard on the heels of the LR3 once it's completed. I also think the MKIII Range Rover is an excellent choice for overlanding, especially with a coil conversion. I've ran many a mountain trail, here in Colorado, in our MKIII and the only hiccup was a one sliced sidewall.
IMAG1011_1_2.jpg

Last edited:

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Great trucks nonetheless but you REALLY need to know ****** you are doing. If you don't you could end up with a truck you don't like that just sits in your driveway taking up space (see it all the time with Series trucks, just waiting for it to happen to defenders).

You mean like this?

attachment.php

(taken from my driveway 20 minutes ago and just posted on another thread).

If I was going to sell my 110, I'd buy an LR3 or LR4. If they came in Canada with a diesel, the 110 might never have happened.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Pretty much. That is what happened to my 109 for 6 months before we took it to someone to get it knocked out.

I would also like to put out there that these days, I'm not interested in giant project anymore.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
all that stuff you just said

Wow, thanks for all that.

I am a Jeep guy but I'm definitely not a rock crawling kind of guy. I enjoy the scenic trail rides with some obstacle to it but nothing crazy. I'm more of the get out and go camping and explore the mountain kind of guy. I went with Jeep because I like the looks and features the Wrangler had. I'm not too huge on the newer SUV's out there that look more luxurious then off road capable(don't get me wrong, most of them probably still are, I'm just stuck judging a book by it's cover), hence the LR3 and LR4. Though, I'm aware of their capability now that I've seen more about them and have kind of followed the build that OJ is doing. But for me, still not my cup of tea. I do like the look and ruggedness of the older LRs except I wouldn't go for anything that's older than the D1 or D2 because they're obviously out of my budget, not the kind of setup I'm looking for, or require a lot of time and money. Still nice, but not my cup of tea, budget is the thing. Find a good deal, do some mods, and go camping/exploring.

I didn't go crazy on my Jeep, and I don't plan to go crazy on a LR if I were ever able to set aside some extra cash to spend on one and have a 2nd fun toy. As of right now I'm saving up for an off-road tear drop, so my money is going to other places. But if I ever get the itch for an impulse buy...I think I know where the money is going if the price is right, haha. I still love Jeep and I plan to get a newer model sometime, but I'll never say which is better. I'm not a Chevy is better than Ford guy and all that. I enjoy both of them when I see them modded for some Overlanding fun. Even the LR3s and LR4s look nice, still not what I'd want, but I still like what people have done.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Sounds like a RRC, D1, or D2 would be great for you.

Off road, the D2 has a decent Traction Control program and really helps drag the truck through all kinds of crap. That said, the RRC and D1 are great easy to work on vehicles.

The RRC or a D1 would be good as they are smaller SUVs (the D1 is 178" long, just for comparison, a S-10 based chevy blazer 4 door is 181" long, a FJ80 is 188-190" long, and a 3rd gen 4 runner is 178" long) so you don't feel like you are taking an excursion out there. Both trucks can be had for under $5k for a reasonable example. Also they were "luxury" back in the day, which is now standard on a base model vehicle. So it is fairly utilitarian by todays standards.

I guess my problem is I'm addicted to the Detroit locker in the rear axle of my truck. From now on I either have a rear locking diff or traction control. It just helps out SO much. So that is why I hammer on that.

Building a RRC or a D1 is super easy as there is plenty of aftermarket and used stuff out there. If I was doing it, I'd stick a OME MD kit under there, front weld on diff guard, relocate the steering stabilizer, manual locking diff in the rear (like I said, I'm nuts), and some sort of steel yet lightweight bumper on the front. Oh and then a set of 245/75/16 tires. Probably a Duratrac or AT or something like that. Oh and then I'd go drive the crap out of it.

Dunno, does this help?

overlander

Expedition Leader
I just drove my friend's RRC that he had converted to 5 speed 300 TDI, and it is SOOO nice, gets 28mpg, smooth as silk and so comfortable. He's outfitting it for overlanding for him and his wife. It is a perfect overlander for 2 people.

Daddymow

You can get a ExMoD Thithonus 110 for a great deal considering the condition and upgrades they have. I love mine.

rover dune 5.jpg

Rubicon 08, I had a lifted Jk unlimited, and went with an LR3.

I am not a rock crawling guy, but pull a flyfishing drift boat, camp, visit far flung spots and do a fair bit off road. I used the JKU for all of this, and had fun with a teraflex 4inch lift, 36.5's (pmetrics) bumpers, sliders, winch etc. I just got so tired of balancing driveline vibes with good steering, ie. tracks straight, no bumpsteer etc. That and i had to change all the bushings due to premature wear even though I lubed them like mad. Then it was finding the right track bar setup, chassis bracket, no chassis bracket, axle brackets, drag link flips, c gussets, new balls because the old ones are shattered at 35000 miles....... I could go on. If you buy a used LR3, get tires, a IIDTool, sort out the neglect from the previous owner, it is so much easier. Silly really. You end up with boat loads of room, a very capable truck , and driving 3 hours anywhere is like going 45 minutes in a Jk. I would never have believed I would write this, but I am so glad I left the Jk camp and got the LR3.

All the best to you man.:smiley_drive:

Wwwdotcom

whats the better diesel engine to look for in a long distance journey? I am sold my 90 and now looking for a diesel 110 or 130 to do some travel in. something that i can possible convert into a dormobile.

TeriAnn

Explorer
whats the better diesel engine to look for in a long distance journey? I am sold my 90 and now looking for a diesel 110 or 130 to do some travel in. something that i can possible convert into a dormobile.

I suggest either a HS 2.8L TGV engine or a Mercedes OM617.

The 2.8 is based upon the earlier 300tdi 2.5L LR engine. There are a few companies that make conversion kits.

The Mercedes OM617 is a very rugged 5 cyl engine with lots of US parts support. Rob Davis makes a conversion kit to fir the engine into Series trucks so it should fit into a Defender with LT77 with minor mods.

People seem to love the LR 200 & 300Tdi's but the mechanics who work on them seem to think the engines were built on the cheap. The Dormie conversion adds weight so the extra power from the diesels I suggest would be helpful.

If you are going to import a 110, look for a ex-MoD LHD model from the Army of the Rhone. They were built for use in Germany. P.A. Blanchard & Co has them on occasion. In a tad over 3 months look for 1989 and older 110's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior