Most popular Land Rover to mod for overlanding.

TeriAnn

Explorer
As to which LR is best for expedition travel: A LOT depends upon what you mean by expedition travel, your fabrication abilities and how deep your pockets are.

What might suit best partially depends upon how long you plan to be on the trail at one time. If your focus is on weekends with an occasional one week trip, one vehicle model might fit you better. If you intend to be out camping for a month or more an entirely different vehicle could be best.

And a lot depends upon where you tend to go. The BLM has turned many trails into regular dirt roads easily transversed by a Subaru. On the way home from my last trip I overnighted at the campground in Dinosaur National monument. I had a nice chat with a guy that was touring all the National parks and monuments. He was driving a 40+ mpg compact car that was towing a motorcycle trailer loaded with his tent and other camping gear. He didn't need anything more to travel long distances and stay at developed campgrounds.

Series and Defenders are the tinker toys of the automotive world. They are simple boxes with removable everything that can be easily converted into most any configuration that you can conceive. All the other Land Rover products have a single piece body that constrains what you can do and how much space you have to do it in. However if you decide to make major modifications in either you will need lots of fabrication skills, money and time. Or even more money to have someone else do the modifications.

TATA is following the 10 year parts support rule. Basically car manufacturers are required to provide parts support for a vehicle for 10 years after they discontinue the model. They have been discontinuing parts for the earlier RRs the D1s and the D2s. LR no longer has the tooling for the aluminum V8s used in those vehicles. Any LR vehicles except for the Series /Defender line can be considered a throw away vehicle with an average life span of 12-15 years. The Series & Defenders enjoy a large aftermarket parts following. The Series aftermarket parts following is fading because everyone except North America can upgrade to an older Defender on the cheap. Fortunately a large number of Defender parts will bolt onto a SII or newer truck.

People who have had both a Disco and LR3/4 all seem to think the LR3 & 4 are much better vehicles. And they still have full factory parts support.

Which vehicle is best depends upon what you need the truck to do and for how long. The key to finding the best truck for you is to first realistically define your needs. Then look for the truck that best meets your needs. For one guy it was a high MPG econo-box and a motorcycle trailer.

Wwwdotcom

TeriAnn,

Thanks for the input, I prefer to stick in the defender line, I have had my share of disco´s, and I had a 94 NAS 90 that I restored. so i have a little bit fab skills and know what to expect with the defender. my plan is long term, long distance. I want to get into some remote spots for minimum 5 week periods. I was also pondering doing the defender ambulance into a camper conversion for more supplies and more comfy room to stretch. I think the key to staying on the road for long periods is to be comfortable. comfy bed, warm showers, etc. I had the aluminum V8 in the 90. I need to diesel for reliability and mpg´s and power.

I am a little familiar with the 25 years and older schpeel. I personally think its a joke that we cant have the newer defenders in the states. I was wondering on the year. best year for the diesels?? I have been told the older ones are more reliable and easier to work on. but i dont want to exclude the lower miles on something newer. I was also looking into relocating to europe, maybe establish residency, get into a newer one and setting sail on my expedition from europe. i have been traveling spain for the last 60 days. Been touring through these small villages and seen so many 110´s abandoned in fields and used as farm vehicles. i know that most of the defenders in spain are the santana landy´s but just sickens me seeing something is overly available here and unavailbe, or extremely high dollar back in the states. anyways, feels like i am rambling a bit. just curious about the size of diesel, better years to choose from, if it is even possible to moveto europe and if i would be able to buy a newer one.

this is something that i want to get researched this winter and come spring, want to get into something to set sail for the fall. i will take any input on the topic.

thanks

ryan

Wwwdotcom

i read a little bit early on that you are unable to ship a defender if it has been converted to a diesel? even if it is 25 years or older? did I read that right? any who, these are my thoughts. would like to find a dormobile already built but have been reading about buying all the parts from dormobile out of the UK and doing it myself seeing how there are not many to choose from.

thanks

ryan

Wait...you're where???

Run up the road this weekend and take a look at http://www.thecoloradoconclave.com/

I'd wager there will be a good variety of Defender / Series vehicles represented there.

There are an 80" Series 1, a '94 Disco and a '97 Defender in my garage..."overland", I'd take the Disco every time.

TeriAnn

Explorer
i read a little bit early on that you are unable to ship a defender if it has been converted to a diesel? even if it is 25 years or older?

If the diesel is the same year as the Defender the import evidently sails through with no problem. If a Defender has a newer diesel engine installed it evidently can get sticky. Which until 2015 means a 2.5L turbo diesel. The 200tdi was introduced for the 1990 model year and the four cylinder petrol engine was discontinued. You can evidently bring in a 200tdi or 300tdi by itself and do the swap yourself. The custom agents are funny folks.

would like to find a dormobile already built but have been reading about buying all the parts from dormobile out of the UK and doing it myself seeing how there are not many to choose from.

The first LR Dormobile prototype was on a 1958 or 59 SII. The last LR Dormies were made in 1974. The build records did not survive so no one knows exactly how many were built during that time. The Dormobile conversion nearly doubled the price of the vehicle so not many were built and when they were they were generally built to go on a major trip. Some people estimate about 500 total but I suspect the number was around 700 or more but under 1000.

If you drop a ONE TEN off Dormobile Ltd can build a Dormobile top onto the ONE TEN for you. Otherwise you are stuck with a SIIA or SIII Dormobile. Either way the interior is cramped. The 2 door can store more stuff than the 4 door but can only sleep 2. The 4 door can sleep 4 people but except for sleeping everyone pretty much is outside the vehicle while camped. This assumes that you can locate a set of 4 door Dormie seats. They are really great for single travel.

If it were me with your intentions I would look for a well documented 1990 ONE TEN with 200 Tdi, take it to Dormobile Ltd and have the top and interior installed. Have the installation fully documented. Then do not import it into the States until 2015.

The 200tdi and 300 Tdi are basically the same engine and have very similar power ratings. You do not want to overheat these engines and you want to change the timing belt a little early. The 300Tdi is a little quieter.

I have extensive experience traveling in a Dormie. Feel free to PM me and get my email address. I would be happy to answer any Dormie specific questions that you might have.

Wwwdotcom

If the diesel is the same year as the Defender the import evidently sails through with no problem. If a Defender has a newer diesel engine installed it evidently can get sticky. Which until 2015 means a 2.5L turbo diesel. The 200tdi was introduced for the 1990 model year and the four cylinder petrol engine was discontinued. You can evidently bring in a 200tdi or 300tdi by itself and do the swap yourself. The custom agents are funny folks.

teriann,

thanks for the advice, i will hit you up on that email. sounds like you are the right person to pick their brain a bit. perfect. just what i need.

i figure if I were to get into a dormobile, it would be a 110 that has been converted. that is probably too old of a rover for me to hop into an original. or even a 130. I am not sure how the conversion would look in a 130 but would like a little more roof rack space in front of the dorm. with a little more workable interior space. My plan is a photography expedition. i want to drive the globe. at first....all at once. but thinking realistically, maybe break it down into a bunch of short term trips hitting up the different area. 6-8 months at a time. making it back to the states, to regroup/restock, and hit the road again. as for being cramped, i am a single traveler. outside of camera gear and equipment, i pack lite. the 110 might be more then enough room for myself, maybe still be comfy for one more down the road. we'll see.

from the dormies that i have seen, i want to make the back end a work station. comfy couch, table to work off of with the computers, docking for the cameras etc. dont know how much of the kitchen i want to leave...or add...but was looking at the overland trailers, i think manufactured down in arizona. I am sure it would be more hassle then it is worth pulling a little trailer. but the added supplies and setting up camp and venturing off without having to collapse camp completely might be a good bonus. we will see once i get going in the dormobile how much room i have. or how much room i need.

awesome, good info to ponder. i like the 1990 110 idea with the TDI. could be good. will send email info shortly.

cheers,

ryan

Wwwdotcom

Wait...you're where???

Run up the road this weekend and take a look at http://www.thecoloradoconclave.com/

I'd wager there will be a good variety of Defender / Series vehicles represented there.

There are an 80" Series 1, a '94 Disco and a '97 Defender in my garage..."overland", I'd take the Disco every time.

I am from Colorado, but currently in Spain. wont be able to make it the the event. dont know when i am coming home. might have to stay longer to find a rover.

I have had the Disco, love the Disco, would buy another disco down the road, but for the expedition, i am going defender. I loved my 90, wished it was a 110 the whole time i had it, think it would be perfect for the voyage, and then perfect for my gallery when i retire her and place her as the center piece. we will see.

ryan

LR Max

Local Oaf
For just 1 person, the 110 is plenty big enough.

X2. My 109 is more than plenty big for just me. Heck it fits me, my g/f, and crap for a weekend no problem.

FYI, I've got a 3 door. The nice thing about that is being able to sleep in the back. Saves a lot of time and headache when setting up or tearing down. Especially in bad weather.

TeriAnn

Explorer
X2. My 109 is more than plenty big for just me. Heck it fits me, my g/f, and crap for a weekend no problem.

We are discussing periods for a tad longer than a weekend.

rearinterior.jpeg

This is my Dormie almost fully loaded for a multiple month long trip. All that is missing is a chase lounge pad for my dog's bed and my dog. The trick is making use of space between the frame and body. I have a stainless steel 15 gallon water tank and a 5 gallon propane tank occupying otherwise unused space on top of the frame.

Everything else except the bag of dog food is in the cabinets. The dog food is on the passenger side floor. There is enough gear to stay out indefinitely coming in for additional fuel water and food about once a week.

GRktichen1t.jpg

In food prep and cooking mode

GRdishes1.jpg

In dish washing mode.

My truck has a 43 US gallon fuel capacity, 15 gallon drinking water capacity, five gallon propane capacity (enough for 4 weeks of daily cooking). When I come in for fuel I top off the water & refrigerator.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
We are discussing periods for a tad longer than a weekend.

This is my Dormie almost fully loaded for a multiple month long trip. All that is missing is a chase lounge pad for my dog's bed and my dog. The trick is making use of space between the frame and body. I have a stainless steel 15 gallon water tank and a 5 gallon propane tank occupying otherwise unused space on top of the frame.

Everything else except the bag of dog food is in the cabinets. The dog food is on the passenger side floor. There is enough gear to stay out indefinitely coming in for additional fuel water and food about once a week.

In food prep and cooking mode

In dish washing mode.

My truck has a 43 US gallon fuel capacity, 15 gallon drinking water capacity, five gallon propane capacity (enough for 4 weeks of daily cooking). When I come in for fuel I top off the water & refrigerator.

Teriann,

I've always admired your Rover. Would you mind posting a photo of your sleeping accommodations when set up?

Thanks,

David

TeriAnn

Explorer
Teriann,

I've always admired your Rover. Would you mind posting a photo of your sleeping accommodations when set up?

You have unfortunate timing. I got back from a trip into Utah & Wyoming a couple weeks ago. During the trip it rained more evenings than not and upon returned I vowed to finally get around to replacing the badly cracked roof canvas.

The upper Dormobile bed is a fold out cot just below what would be the roof line when the top is down. I sleep right next to the top canvas and water was leaking in through the cracks in the 50 year of plastic canvas.

So at this moment:

I have sanded the poor condition top coat off the fiberglass top. THe fiberglass top is at a body shop getting refinished.

I have new stainless steel top lifting rods, new stainless steel lifting handle (Goes down the centre of the top and a new top edge seal on order from Dormobile Ltd in the UK

My bunk is disassembled and at an upholstery shop getting new bunk material and a new bunk cover made up.

I have all new curtain rods and hanger hardware on order.

I have a new rear side facing jump seat on order

At this moment I have relapsed back into ship fitters disease and do not have a bed to take a picture of. Meanwhile my florescent rear interior lamps have a plastic side enclosure that has deteriorated to the point where they no longer hold the lens in place. The lens on each lamp is taped in place. I'm having a hard time trying to find a 1-1/2 inch wide or narrower LED fixture that throws out as much light as a 7 watt fluorescent fixture.

I'm trying to get everything done between the end of the summer rains and the first fall snow.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
You have unfortunate timing. I got back from a trip into Utah & Wyoming a couple weeks ago. During the trip it rained more evenings than not and upon returned I vowed to finally get around to replacing the badly cracked roof canvas.

The upper Dormobile bed is a fold out cot just below what would be the roof line when the top is down. I sleep right next to the top canvas and water was leaking in through the cracks in the 50 year of plastic canvas.

So at this moment:

I have sanded the poor condition top coat off the fiberglass top. THe fiberglass top is at a body shop getting refinished.

I have new stainless steel top lifting rods, new stainless steel lifting handle (Goes down the centre of the top and a new top edge seal on order from Dormobile Ltd in the UK

My bunk is disassembled and at an upholstery shop getting new bunk material and a new bunk cover made up.

I have all new curtain rods and hanger hardware on order.

I have a new rear side facing jump seat on order

At this moment I have relapsed back into ship fitters disease and do not have a bed to take a picture of. Meanwhile my florescent rear interior lamps have a plastic side enclosure that has deteriorated to the point where they no longer hold the lens in place. The lens on each lamp is taped in place. I'm having a hard time trying to find a 1-1/2 inch wide or narrower LED fixture that throws out as much light as a 7 watt fluorescent fixture.

I'm trying to get everything done between the end of the summer rains and the first fall snow.

Sounds like it will be really nice when it's done.

Rand24

I believe you are interested in popular Land Rovers readily available here in the USA.

That would be the Discovery line. The D1 (94-99), the D2 (99-04), the LR3 (2005-2009), and the LR4 (2010-present). These vehicles are readily available and are very capable. Great for light traveling around the US. Aftermarket upgrades are readily available for all of these trucks and many decent examples are available through normal automotive purchasing channels. On top of that, built examples are available in various for sale sections.

FYI, I'm a LR3 fanboy so that is what I'm going to tell you to go find. Get a 07 or an 08. 05 and 06 are good trucks but I feel like by 07 they got the majority of the bugs worked out. The advantage of the LR3 is space, power, reliability, and comfort. Search this forum for information on the LR3.

However the D1 and D2 are both great trucks. I've seen moderately built D2's do all kind of awesome stuff off road. A D1 with traction aids in the diffs is also quite a beast.

Defenders are awesome. However I wouldn't say they are readily available. Also due to the great scare of 2013, only trucks with original frames and engines are coming in. Personally for me, the appeal kinda goes to crap when trucks with a history of rotting out the chassis and dogs of engines are the only ones readily available...overseas that I now need to import. Great trucks nonetheless but you REALLY need to know ****** you are doing. If you don't you could end up with a truck you don't like that just sits in your driveway taking up space (see it all the time with Series trucks, just waiting for it to happen to defenders).

LR North America did import Defenders legally into the US for a number of years. The Defender 110 was imported in 1993. The Defender 90 in the years 94, 95, 97. Don't even worry about the 1993 Defender 110s. They fetch a premium price. The 94, 95, and 97 trucks can be had for $25~$45k and are usually REALLY nice trucks. BTW these are called "NAS" trucks. Typically not seen in normal automotive selling channels but you can search defender specific forums for vehicles for sale.

If you primarily travel solo or travel light, a D90 is great. A D110 really comes into play when you start carrying a bunch of crap when you go off roading.

I see you are a Jeep Guy. Typically people are like, take a JK 4 door, strip out everything below the frame, install bolt on long arms, Dana 60s, and 37" tires. Then go hit the Rubicon. Don't expect this from a rover. What you can expect is to install a ~2" lift, a wee bit bigger tire and go have a BLAST on the easier trails. Also if fire roads are prevalent in your neck of the woods, then such a vehicle is great for that.

Example here in Georgia. There are TONS of forest service roads and a lot of cool places to go see. However they are 90~120 minutes from here. Then most of the roads are in fairly good shape. There are a few that offer a challenge but not like, a challenge-challenge. A D1/D2/LR3/LR4 would be PERFECT for this. You just cruise along, enjoying everything but if there is a washout or whatever, you just grab low range, cross it, keep going. Then enjoy a nice, comfortable, climate controlled ride home on the interstate...not needing noise cancelling earphones.

The early Range Rovers (now known as range rover classics, RRC) which were imported between 1987-1995 are also great trucks. FYI the 1995 year is very desirable. However they are just as awesome as the earlier trucks. Pretty much don't worry about any of the other range rovers after that.

Now the Range Rover Sport is a cool truck (up until 2013, dunno anything about its replacement model afterwards). Been seeing them down in Australia tearing it up. I have heard bad things about the back seat and full size humans riding in it. However if this isn't a concern, then it is a contender. Also aftermarket is somewhat limited. Sure you can get a lift and tires, but after that, things get scarce.

If you enjoy being a bitter crazy quirky person who can relate to Clint Eastwood's character in the movie, "Gran Torino", then come join us as a Land Rover Series Owner. These are the old, boxy, rough trucks. Available in the US starting around 1963ish to 1974. Also readily imported and they are fairly plentiful. You can find a GREAT truck for under $15k. That said, its still a series truck. You need to be able to turn your own wrench and be prepared for little issues...and big issues. I'd say its similar to a CJ5 that you just kinda keep going.

So there. That is what I think on the Land Rovers available here in the US.
my goodness - what a useful and comprehensive post.....pertinent even in 2024

HUMMER/Expeditions

Best Land Rover mod for millions of people is to never buy a Land Rover product,
But if you must buy one those, at least get a field repairable version, older Land Rover,
they also look really good.
D1, RRC, defender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior