Movin' that rear axle forward....

bobmuley

Vehicle Specific?

Mine is oriented towards the front of the wheel well when stuffed. Worst thing that can happen to me is trim the front and the rear for the 255s.:)

taugust

Adventurer
I went with 33x10.50R15 BFG AT's on 15" Steel wheels. Then I moved to BFG MT's, same size. You might compare standard sizes to metric sizes price-wise. The savings might pay for $45 a piece steel wheels. Since they are slightly shorter than the 255's, a lift might not be needed. For my XtraCab Taco, the axle was too far forward. I recently bought and installed the axle relocation spacer from All Pro Offroad. http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=51 It can go 3/4" or 1" forward or rearward, depending on which direction you orient it and which hole you use. The 3/4" turned out to be perfect rearward movement for me.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I think to many get focused on bigger is better and I myself fell into it. If your on a budget then your priority should be good tires not big tires. I have run my truck on 3 sizes of tires. I jumped from 31x10.50 to 255/85 tires. IMO you will be fine with a stock size tire and good tread. I did almost oll of Telico on 31" tires. And not to may places get worse then upper 2 guard rail, helicopter pad or school bus.

Yes height helps on really tuff trials however a good driver can navigate the "impossible" most of the time. If I was doing it again, I would tell you that 4.10 gears and 31" tires are all I really need.

On my next truck I will probably make sure It has 4.10 or better stock ratio. I will go stock size tire with good tread and make sure I have a selectable rear locker. Then I will upgrade suspension and as in shocks and load ability maybe with air bags. After that all camping. That is it, done, finito! The tacoma is a great platform and in retrospect I wish I had thrown all that extra money into camping arrangements like a fridge, storage, tent etc.

Take Vince's tacoma for example. It is legendary on here and does not ave big tires. Yet he goes all over baja and what not.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Rear axle re-location.

Fat_Man said:
Would the 3/4 that the plates pictured in the first post be too far forward?

Here are a few thoughts about relocating your rear axle. This would only be necessary with the 255/85R16 tires perhaps 33x10.5R15 as well I'm not sure. I ran 31x10.5R15 and 32x11.5R15 tires on the stock set up and never relocated the rear axle. The Deaver springs relocate your axle forward by 0.5" and that would be as far as I would go because any more will cause your tire to rub the forward portion of the wheel well (i.e. towards the front of the rig). One more thing, I noticed that as the rear axle articulates it does not move straight up and down. If you were to stand outside of the rig while the axle is flexing, the direction of travel of the rear axle relative to the wheel well opening is angled slightly towards the front of the truck. So as the wheel tucks up into the wheel well, it also moves forward slightly. Does this make sense?

With respect to tire sizes, the 265/75R16 is an excellent choice. You won't have to bother with lift, trimming or re-gearing with these tires while gaining some ground clearance. I'm sure you will be happy with them. Spend the extra time and effort on trips!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Cheers,
P

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Wow, someone dug up this old thread?

In the end, things lined up and I decided on going ahead with the 255's.

Have been riding that combo now for almost 10 months.

As for the lift, I got a great deal on Wil's old setup. Eventually I will upgrade, but it has suited me well so far. And, he commented earlier in the thread that he had no rubbing issues for the rear tires. I have his old lift, and pleased to report that the same is true for me.

I would defiinitely include myself as a member of the 255 fan club. While I did see a drop in mileage, I think the size suits the truck very well, funcionally as well as aesthetically.

My only regret is one merely aesthetic. I went with 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's and wish I had gone with 16x8's...as while I don't want the tires sticking out past the flares, right now they are a bit too tucked in for my tastes. Oh well, it works great off road.

For tires, I went with Maxxis Bighorns. I have only good things to say about them. Except for noise....they are your typical loud mud tire. I got used to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior