MTWheeler's First Jeep! '42 Willys MB

MTWheeler

Observer
Hi everyone!
As of May '14 I have been a proud new Jeep owner of my dream 4x4 rig! An all original Willys MB!

I searched high and low on the internet and around town for one, for probably about 8-9 months.
Finally I found a mostly rust-free 100% original one, in RUNNING condition!! ...only 350 miles away...
I ended up just biting the bullet and bringing her home!

IMAG0976.jpg

IMAG0980.jpg

IMAG0982.jpg

IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0984.jpg

Hooked the fuel pump up a temporary plastic gas can, hooked up a battery, and PRESTO! Purred like a 72 yr. old kitten.
After a little coaxing, we got the transmission into 1st gear, and off we went for the first cruise around the block!
We probably only had 2 miles on the old girl, and SLAM! She came to a stop in the driveway, and refused to move.
IMAG0977.jpg

Turns out a sheared axle shaft was to blame!
IMAG0978.jpg

REBUILD!
IMAG1016.jpg

IMAG1014.jpg

IMAG1018.jpg

MTWheeler

Observer
Next, new tank!
IMAG1082.jpg

Here's some pictures just around the house an farm! (she's very photogenic!)
IMAG1033-1.jpg

IMAG1072-1.jpg

IMAG1210-1.jpg

Cool black and white shot!

IMAG1030-1.jpg

Happy 4th of July! :) My new phone background! Haha!

IMAG1131-1.jpg

Fuel issues! :(

IMAG1136.jpg

Stay tuned!!

MTWheeler

Observer
I do plan on doing a total frame-off restoration on it, but many years down the road. As for right now, just get everything working well and mechanically sound, and take her to the mountains and play!

MTWheeler

Observer
The data plate photo says you have a Ford GPW - even better!

Todd Z.

Haha I figured someone would notice that! The guy I bought it from said that it was a '42, same with the title. But after some hard looking and research, judging by the tubular front cross-member, and the non-embossed toolbox lids, it's definitely an MB. I think the data plate was replaced at one point judging by the phillips screws holding it on. But, I think it's a '45 surplus Jeep (by the lack of black-out lights and other military goodies). But unless you're a hardcore Jeep guy (like me), you'd never know! ;)

MTWheeler

Observer
SCORE!!

Somehow today, I found myself in an Antique store in Billings, and ended up lucking out and scoring these babies!
IMAG1272.jpg
IMAG1275.jpg
IMAG1273.jpg
Took Mom and the siblings out for a ride!
IMAG1274.jpg

MTWheeler

Observer
It's good to see some more old iron on this board!

Yes sir!!
I got my new issue of 4wheel and offroad, and saw you were in UA2014!! I love what you've done to yours, but I don't think I have the heart to cut into mine! She'll most likely stay all stock.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78