My 1987 Toyota 4Runner build

patrolman

Observer
I have had this for about 6 years now. It has been one of my favorite vehicles and I likely won't ever sell it. It is now complimented by my 1987 Toyota 4wd Van (in another thread) and my 1987 Toyota truck.

Mods to this so far include: 4.30 gears, rear e-locker, TJ coils on top of leafs, longer shackles, Downey torsion bars cranked up about 1.5", ARB front bumper with Milemarker 12,000 winch, Wilderness roof rack, dual 100w lights, Pullpal+shovel+60" hilift all on the rack, ARB compressor, 90w upgraded alternator, 2nd gen 4Runner front seats, custom rear bumper/rack, Cobra CB with weather radio, 32" Goodyear MTR's, Budbuilt t-case x-member, Sonora Steel IFS front brace, Howe Racing radiator. I am sure there are other parts, but that is the major stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.JPG
    IMG_2617.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2618.JPG
    IMG_2618.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2616.JPG
    IMG_2616.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2622.JPG
    IMG_2622.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2627.JPG
    IMG_2627.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2629.JPG
    IMG_2629.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2631.JPG
    IMG_2631.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 73

patrolman

Observer
So the parts still awaiting include a Marlin dual t-case and a 2nd fuel tank which goes where spare tire used to be. It is an aftermarket unit designed to still fit a spare underneath and add about 10 gallons.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Wow--that must be fun to drive. Sounds like you have a great fleet. I like the diamond-plate tailgate. I just used minwaxed plywood for mine but that plate sure looks professional.

Eric

corax

Explorer
Nice rig, it sounds like you have a thing for vehicles made in '87 the same way I do for '88

So the parts still awaiting include a Marlin dual t-case and a 2nd fuel tank which goes where spare tire used to be. It is an aftermarket unit designed to still fit a spare underneath and add about 10 gallons.

I'm assuming your tank is a gravity feed NWMP tank (14 gal, I thought) - if your interested in having it as an electric transfer type system check out my install

patrolman

Observer
My spare tank is a similar design, but made in Aussie I think. I got it from a salvage yard for a few bucks. It is a gravity feed and feeds in through the main tank drain. You replace the drain bolt with a fitting and plumb a hose up to the 2nd tank. Bad idea if you ask me. The fitting will hang below the skid plate (which I have hit before). Tear out that fitting and you lose up to 25 gallons and are screwed. I am going to retrofit the way it feeds in. Also plan on changing a bit of how it fills.

patrolman

Observer
1987 was apparently a good year for Toyota. I happen to have 4 of them. The 5th is a 1988 which is up for sale.

patrolman

Observer
I forgot to mention one of the more difficult projects I am taking on. I am in the process of building a full-floater rear with disc brakes. This has been on the rack for about 5 years. Hopefully details to come as I am getting closer to finishing.

corax

Explorer
My spare tank is a similar design, but made in Aussie I think. I got it from a salvage yard for a few bucks. It is a gravity feed and feeds in through the main tank drain. You replace the drain bolt with a fitting and plumb a hose up to the 2nd tank. Bad idea if you ask me. The fitting will hang below the skid plate (which I have hit before). Tear out that fitting and you lose up to 25 gallons and are screwed. I am going to retrofit the way it feeds in. Also plan on changing a bit of how it fills.

exactly why I mentioned the electric transfer pump, just splice the feed to your main tank into the capped off vapor line. Oh yeah, make sure you plumb the vapor recovery and vent lines correctly or you could end up pushing fuel into the charcoal canister in front (waste of gas + smells bad)

I forgot to mention one of the more difficult projects I am taking on. I am in the process of building a full-floater rear with disc brakes. This has been on the rack for about 5 years. Hopefully details to come as I am getting closer to finishing.

are you using the Front Range Offroad conversion, or is there some other way?

just noticed something else. how are the gutter mounts on teh fiberglass roof holding up with the weight of the pullpal and hi-lift? i have a set of gutter mounts but have been skeptical about the strength of the roof.

patrolman

Observer
I am going a different route for the floater, hence the 6 year "project" on the bench.

Thanks for the compliments!

patrolman

Observer
just noticed something else. how are the gutter mounts on teh fiberglass roof holding up with the weight of the pullpal and hi-lift? i have a set of gutter mounts but have been skeptical about the strength of the roof.

Gutter mounts seem fine. Mine are in OK shape to begin with. When on long trips, we put 4 or 5 jerry cans up there too. Also, all 200 pounds of me can easily stand on it. In all, with the cans and me, there is about 500 or 600 pounds including the rack and accessories up there. Never an issue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman