My 1987 Toyota 4Runner build

patrolman

Observer
So next on the list is a Marlin dual t-case. Have the doubler and the top shift 2nd case. Gotta install and then do the d-shafts. :) Can't wait!

4runnin'

Observer
Dual cases woohoo!!!! Out of all the mods I have done that was the single best one!

Can't wait to see what you think. What gears are you going to run? I left mine at 2.28's in both and Can't complain...

patrolman

Observer
I am sticking with 2.28. I don't do any crawling really, just back country trails that sometimes require lower gears than what I have. A couple times I had to gun it more than I wanted to or slip the clutch more than I wanted to. The extra torque would be great.

I debated 4.7 gears, but for about the same price, I am going to have duals. Allows for more variety in low gears, which I wanted. Most of the time I run just fine with the 2.28 and the 4.7 would be too low.

corax

Explorer
So next on the list is a Marlin dual t-case. Have the doubler and the top shift 2nd case. Gotta install and then do the d-shafts. :) Can't wait!

If you're interested, here's a new product that I saw for doing double cases.

http://radesignsproducts.com/TripleSticks.aspx
$225
triple%20sticks%20v1%20002.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
If you're interested, here's a new product that I saw for doing double cases.

http://radesignsproducts.com/TripleSticks.aspx
$225
triple%20sticks%20v1%20002.jpg
Gee thanks CORAX!!!! Now I've got ANOTHER thing I want to put into my truck... @ that price it's gonne be REAL hard to NOT justify puting one in. THat is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. I REALLY like Marlin's stuff (his rear bumper is a complete work of art) and I"ll be going to him for more parts as my truck progresses, BUT I really like the compact package that unit looks like. I wonder about it's strength compared to Marlins unit seeing as IMO Marlin is THE benchmark for Toyota 4wd Mini-Truck products... Seems like that unit would make alot of sence in an IFS rig seeing as it's not going to be as hard-core a crawler (although they DO crawl pretty well for an IFS rig)

Boy, now I've got another site to pour over today...

EDIT: ok now I see, it's just a shifting alternative. Oh well, I still REALLY like the idea of having all three sticks together. I didn't want to cut up my already crummy console any more. Plus I'm going to run a Tuggy console so it's gonna be ahrd to mount the rear shifter in the typical place. That looks like a great alternative if it works as planned. I've got manual hubs so I already HAVE 2wd low kind of, but I think a tripple stick set-up would be great for not having to get out of the rig when cruising between obstacles or up long grades where I don't need 4wd (I run in 2wd ALOT actualy with the 33's and the OME suspension it just crawls ALOT better now)

Cheers

Dave

corax

Explorer
Gee thanks CORAX!!!! Now I've got ANOTHER thing I want to put into my truck...

No problem, I'm a great enabler and fully support any healthy RN61 4runner addiction :ylsmoke:
Here's the thread where I saw it - complete with a few SolidWorks screen shots. It seems there are a few other ideas for triple/forward sticks floating around. Some are home-made and one guy's trying for cable shift (wouldn't that be a hoot, mount your 2nd case shifter wherever you want). The one I linked in a previous post is just the first to market that I've seen.

Last edited:

patrolman

Observer
Some updates to the 4Runner. I have been working over the holidays to put in a Marlin dual t-case. Both the crawl box and 2nd case are in, and the shafts were dropped off Wednesday to be shortened/lengthened. Looking forward to this mod. On a couple of occasions I had to slip the clutch to get up and over an obstacle. Always makes me nervous. I don't use this for rock crawling, but when in the middle of gods land, it is good to know the 4Runner will have the grunt to pull itself up and over!

AxleIke

Adventurer
Congrats. Though, you'll never want to wheel without them again :D . I hate the stock tcase in my 99.

In my old 87, I found the two best mods I ever did were dual ARB's, and Dual cases with 4.7's in the rear. I could never decide which one I liked the best, so I just rated them both number 1.

Dual cases makes wheeling a ton of fun, IMO, because you can really concentrate on the line, how the truck is moving, and, when you aren't sure what you are doing, being able to go really slow is very nice.

One of the unsung great parts of super low gearing, ( I don't know if you got the 4.7 set or not so this may not apply) is that when descending ledges, such as those found in many of the back roads of Moab, and even some here in CO, you can put the truck in double low, and first, and then let the clutch out and ride the brakes as the back tire comes off the ledge, allowing you to crawl down, and when the bumper touches, it is a soft kiss rather than a kidney shattering slam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman