My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yeah the sliders definitely have more pros than cons, I just wish our trucks weren't so ground clearance challenged. The 2001 4Runner Limited had 11" of ground clearance stock! Even with the lift I've scraped the rear hitch several times.

As for the install you're correct the pinch weld needs to be drilled in a couple of places. It's a bit of a PITA without the template which was missing from my package. But as long as you have that and good drill bits (lots of drilling!) with a touch of patience it's not bad at all. No welding required :)

Allof75

Pathfinder
Yeah the sliders definitely have more pros than cons, I just wish our trucks weren't so ground clearance challenged. The 2001 4Runner Limited had 11" of ground clearance stock! Even with the lift I've scraped the rear hitch several times.

As for the install you're correct the pinch weld needs to be drilled in a couple of places. It's a bit of a PITA without the template which was missing from my package. But as long as you have that and good drill bits (lots of drilling!) with a touch of patience it's not bad at all. No welding required :)

Good to hear!

I really don't mind the slight lack of clearance, it just means there's less lean in the corners and you have to plot your line a bit more carefully. Considering how well likewise clearance-challenged AWD Subarus do, I think we're good. But that's not to say I would be against 11" of clearance...

And I figure it's better to scrape the hitch than the bumper. :smiley_drive: I'm getting a hitch soon, because there's no other real way to have a rear recovery point. Hopefully I can tuck it, and the exhaust, up to minimize the scraping. But you should see the hook of a bumper my friend's Bronco has- it's nuts when combined with a low hitch. All in perspective I guess.

Last edited:

Allof75

Pathfinder
Oh also, the sliders mean you have a Hi-Lift jack point, which could certainly now justify lugging that thing around.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looks great! What made you choose the Super Sliders over the standard Rock Sliders?
Thanks! The standard ones don't stick out and I wanted them to stick out for three reasons; one they actually look nicer with the round tubing that I figured would nicely match the contours of the roofrack, priorities ;). Two, they offer additional protection from the sides and not just the bottom and three there are situations when you have to force the slider into a rock to pivot the truck around it.

Oh also, the sliders mean you have a Hi-Lift jack point, which could certainly now justify lugging that thing around.

Hehe, that's true! In reality I didn't necessarily lose any ground clearance either only perceived. The bottom of the sliders sits even with the bottom of the frame rails and there's other stuff that hangs lower than these. It's just that from the side the truck looks lower (more sedate) than it did before because the gap between it and the ground is no longer what it used to be (14" now vs. 16")

I really need some rock sliders as well. Nice ones you have *_^.

Thanks. I've been wanting them for a while :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Got the other slider on last night.

81AF8DEF-FC30-4614-BA2F-7C11F07423C9-513-00000170B5372729.jpg

BirchHill

goat farmer
Great job with your truck! Will 31" tires fit without a lift? Have you had the tires in any snow conditions yet, if so how did they do?

stioc

Expedition Leader
I see Allof75 answered your question about the 31" tires. Also keep in mind we're talking about 245/75/16 tires which are actually 30.46" in diameter.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Did some minor work today.

Control arm cross brace aka Missing Link fabbed and installed:

E2112CCA-0CC2-4415-8CC3-69A14837EE86-513-000001D7E0E70817.jpg

Replaced the two rear facing fog lamps with this cool LED light bar (BlitzPro)- more light and at a fraction of the power consumption:

D6A192EF-79C6-4848-92F1-481022F55698-513-000001D7D00E4A18.jpg

5B88BCD8-40D1-4EEC-9D6B-66BA9B67BA30-513-000001D16506B3F4.jpg

Allof75

Pathfinder
What exactly does that bar do? Is this something that was missing from your car specifically, or is it not on any R50s?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice work! Keep modifying ^_^

Thanks Shanfari :) In all honesty though I think I'm coming to the end with the mods. I feel that the truck is at the point where I'd envisioned it in the begining i.e. it's not supposed to be a rock crawler but capable of tackling most family expedition trips. Would the 35" tires or lockers make it more capable, absolutely but I might start breaking parts too. So from here on the main focus will be on keeping the stock parts from failing. Things like the ball joints, cooling system, tie-rods etc tend to fail often under stress.

What exactly does that bar do? Is this something that was missing from your car specifically, or is it not on any R50s?

The R50s never came with one. Take a look here: http://www.jacsport.com/nissan.htm - I think the benefits are a tad bit over blown :) but anytime you box/brace a uni-body chassis it's a good thing especially off-roading where the frame is tortionally under stress.

There's another one made by someone who also sells the skid plates and his version is used to provide a mounting point for his skid plates. Speaking of which, I wonder how the 4x4parts skid plates mount and maybe your skid plate set will come with one?

Allof75

Pathfinder
The R50s never came with one. Take a look here: http://www.jacsport.com/nissan.htm - I think the benefits are a tad bit over blown :) but anytime you box/brace a uni-body chassis it's a good thing especially off-roading where the frame is tortionally under stress.

There's another one made by someone who also sells the skid plates and his version is used to provide a mounting point for his skid plates. Speaking of which, I wonder how the 4x4parts skid plates mount and maybe your skid plate set will come with one?

Huh, interesting. I'm pretty sure that my skids don't come with a stiffener, considering 4x4parts doesn't sell them, but I'd imagine they may possibly have a similar stiffening effect considering they're 3/16" and span a similar area...I guess I'll see when they come in, the center skid is in the mail and on its way, and I assume they're still fabbing the other pieces.

Have you noticed any difference with the bar installed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears