My 2003 GX470

TexGX

Explorer
Dan,

Very nice. I am hoping to get the lift started soon. I am going to try and keep my bags in the back because I tow a trailer and want to have the leveling option. Any issues with the tires rubbing? I am trying to find a skinner tire that gets me close to 33". I will be interested in seeing the bumper go on. I am thinking of keeping my stock bumper, but putting a which mount under it using a ASFIR hidden which mount bar. Great Job.

TexGX

DanKunz

Adventurer
The rears do not rub at all. The fronts do, but the bumper solves that problem :)

Honestly if you are lifting it the heavier spring rate of the lift will accommodate towing, assuming you can get the trailer hooked up that high!

ScottyDog

Adventurer
Great looking LX and nice build thread. Next to my 80, and of course the unobtainable 70 series Land Cruisers... My next choice in the Toyota lineage are these little Prado/LX's... Waiting to see more!

TwinCruiser

Observer
Great build, congrats!

I showed my wife your Mud build thread and she thinks you're "nuts".

Her "mall" cruiser is a '06 GX. We purchased it brand new. She pampers it more than she does me...hence the "nuts" comment.

The GX only has 42K miles...never been off road, 'cept the below pic taken in Virginia after a blizzard while we were on vacation YET it is having issues with the radiator. It has a very slow leak...needs about a cup of fluid once a month. The Lexus dealers quoted us an insane amount to replace. I eventually will do it myself if it gets worse.

The leak area is on the drivers side, lower radiator "tank".

I mention this since yours received a new radiator...leaves me to believe the Yota radiators on these GXs are crap.

In a couple of years, once she grows tired of it I plan to keep it and modify it...and sell my 80.

LexusinsnowVA028-1.jpg

Last edited:

DanKunz

Adventurer
Well, I got mine used, really well maintained, for not a whole lot of money, so I don't think I am that nuts :)

I don't know the story on the radiator, but I suspect it is the same problem as most modern Toyota radiators, plastic tanks. I had the same problem you had on your lower in my 80 series upper back in the day.

Here's to building more GX470s in NA! Toyota, BRING ME A DIESEL PRADO AND I WILL BUY IT.

TexGX

Explorer
Dan,

Did your truck throw any codes or lights when you unhooked the stock shocks? If so, how did you fix it?

TexGX

DanKunz

Adventurer
No codes, just unplugged the AHC relays from the fuseboxes.

Oh, and the bumper, winch, and snorkel are in customs in NJ :)

TexGX

Explorer
Sweet!! Can't wait to see the pics. Thanks for the info. I am about to order my lift and tires.

TexGX

60Dan

Explorer
That looks sweet, I like the attention to detail. Looking forward to seeing more pics :drool:

DanKunz

Adventurer
Just waiting no the shipping info so I can see where/when the pallet is showing up! AHHH suspense!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Can you post some pictures here? I can't get on 'Mud from my current location... Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78