My 2004 Chevrolet Silverado Build

eugene

Explorer
Yea, I found that forum and went through some thread, I don't see any 3 &1/8 pilots listed online either. i might try searching for some of the no name ebay ones.

I found some 3.5" ones from jc whitney for $20, I think I'll order them and try them out. Wrost case I can just use the reflectors and take a 3" hole saw and cut out some plexiglass or something.

Last edited:

cbmontgo

Observer
That is looking good. I also have a 2004 Z71 Sierra, and now that I live in Colorado, I'd like to beef it up a bit for mountain trails when I don't take the Land Cruiser. Keep up the posting on your progress...

eugene

Explorer
I haven't decided yet. I've been looking at all those rooftop tents now kind of liking that idea.
I had a nice modular camp kitchen designed on paper that would slide in one side and a bed in the other but that was when i had the taller cap on so I'm still not sure which route I'm going. I had another design with a pop top cap but just don't have the time to build it now.
My plans change as I learn more, we've been camping out three times so far and each time I make adjustments, I'm basically trying to make camp setup and tear down time as quick and easy as possible. So the roof tent idea is looking noce now since I can simply unfold it and its pretty much setup. With the two kids now I'm looking at more off the shelf parts now, for example buying that roof rack rather than welding one myself just due to time.

eugene

Explorer
All this rain recently I'm seeing leaks at the rear window and the bolts holding the rack on top, I need to work on both. I'm thinking about moving the rack slightly forward so its not hanging off the back like now. I want to get some t nuts that will go up into the plywood of the roof so there are no bolts and nuts sticking out then replace the bolts with shorter ones and seal it all up good.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Great Job

Eugene,

Your truck is coming along nicely. Since you have a full size with a bed cap a RTT would go great for camping. With the height of your capper you could even get a Eezi-Awn T-Top for extra space. Just some info to help. When it comes to camping you want the easiest set-up with little un-packing time. Looking forward to your build.

Marty

eugene

Explorer
I like that T Top design, I'm wondering if I could find a narrow one that would fit between the rack side rails, that way it would sit right on top of the cap rather than 4"-6" above it and the rack side rails would protect it from tree branches and such. I'm kind of setting up a camp kitchen around the tailgate so it could fit under that room. Here is my camp sink setup for the last trip.
IMG_5422.jpg

I just sat the water jug on the tailgate and the drain under the truck. You can see that I left it low enough to be able to delegate the washing duties.

eugene

Explorer
Well, we've been in the new house for a while now and with spring upon us I need to get this project going again. Wife wasn't too fond of the tent camping when our then two year old was able to unzip and get out and the cold nigh we had so wanted something more substantial. I started looking at options and really like the nice FWC's but they are way too much $ right now. So I started watching and searching criagslist in my city and others within driving distance and bought this last weekend.
IMG_12127.jpg

IMG_12148.jpg

IMG_12149.jpg

IMG_12150.jpg

IMG_12151.jpg

Its a little older and rough and has had some repairs but is functional and the repairs are holding so the only issues with it are cosmetic. So I'm going through and working on cleaning it up. Cut off the original owner's 12v cable that was using a 120v plug and am working on re-wiring that. I've been wanting to put some nice laminate on top of my router table for a while but didn't want to buy a sheet for just a small section so now I could split a sheet with this and the router table. So new kitchen counter was the first project as well as some Rust-o-leum appliance paint on the stove.

IMG_12184.jpg

IMG_12185.jpg

IMG_12186.jpg

You can see the old counter top near the bottom of the middle picture here. I put a piece of the white over the paneling on the fridge too. The fridge gets cold but not real cold, can these be recharged?

I paid $600 for the camper and have about $100 in so far with the formica laminate sheet, glue, plywood, sink drain, etc. The kids are young enough that I can take the upper bed out and put in a pair of toddler mattresses with a divider in between. Need to sell the old cap to get back some garage space.

Last edited:

BlueBomber

Adventurer
I dont know if you want to keep the wood panneling, but my parents painted their den in white and it came out pretty good looking. plus, they didnt have to rip out all of the 20+ year old stuff.

eugene

Explorer
If I were to paint it inside I'd still want to remove stuff, there are just too many corners to paint around.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
I hear ya! They used rollers on everything but the corners. There wernt many in the den, but I can see a motor home would have quite a few corners. I always did like a little wood accent. maybe you can paint half of it and keep the rest as an accent color or trim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle