My Boomerang 1st Gen 4runner build

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I sold this one about 3 years ago, and was recently called by the person that purchased it from me. He was wanting to dump it because
it had a blown head gasket just past the current 300k mark. I was excited, because when I sold it the first time, it was almost by accident. I had priced it jokingly, and within a couple days the buyer showed up with cash in hand...

Fast forward to present day. I purchased it and took it to where I work as a service manger at a small toyota store here in NC.
I bore scoped it, and confirmed a leaking cylinder head gasket into #3. Just for giggles I pulled the valve cover and cranked down the head bolts tighter than specs. So far, 300 miles later, and it hasn't used a drop of coolant.

It was also in bad need of both front wheel bearings when I got it back, so that was taken care of that same day. The idler arm has plenty of slack, so bushings are on the way. Other than aesthetics, and trim the rig isn't in too bad of shape.

Had it out this weekend with wife, little girl, and dog enjoying the weather and snapped some pics

6852358120_289abef71c_z.jpg

6852358118_0bf17bd240_z.jpg

6852358116_1251a243a9_z.jpg

My inspirations for building up a rig for future camping/exploration
6852358112_93bd27e1f0_z.jpg

6852409844_e742081c50_z.jpg

I've got an E-locker i've had stashed away for a bit that will be going in, along with 4.88s front and rear. I'm wanting to keep this one IFS, and may install an ARB in the front when it goes together.

6852416896_f6475d1b7d_z.jpg

Up soon will be rock sliders, and bumpers front and rear, along with a winch

When I bought it back, I had full intentions of installing a new OEM short block, ported cylinder head w/ oversized valves, but I hate taking this one out as good as its running. On my first tank, corrected for tire rollout, I averaged 22mpg.

My goal for this one will be a 2 week trip next year to our beautiful western states, accompanied by many nights camping here in NC, VA, and TN.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Nice 4runner!
let me know what bushing set you go with. Thats on my list as well, i think all the bushings involved with the front suspension and steering in my rig need replacing

jeff parker

Observer
How slow do you have to go to average 22mpg? The best I can manage is 19 if I keep under 65mph. I'm sure I could get over 20mpg if I drove 55mph, but I would end up roadkill as the speeds around here are usually over 70.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
It looks great! It must be nice to have it back. I like the wheels.

Thanks, I'm glad to have it back. Thanks on the wheels too, for some reason I'm really fond of them. I traded for them the first time I owned it, and got 4 of them with BFG AT's in like new condition for free. Luckily enough, I was given a 5th one free yesterday.

How slow do you have to go to average 22mpg? The best I can manage is 19 if I keep under 65mph. I'm sure I could get over 20mpg if I drove 55mph, but I would end up roadkill as the speeds around here are usually over 70.

About 50% @ 55mph per GPS, 40% @ 65mph GPS(higest speed limit around here), rest was around town driving.

Rancho

Supporting Sponsor - Rancho Suspensions
What year is it an 86 or so? I got rid of my 86 a couple of years back and I wish I would have kept it. Great little daily driver, great mileage, and a lot of fun.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
What year truck did that E-Locker come off of?

Will it bolt directly onto the 4Runners current axle? Or will you need to make modifications?

I am planning on saving for 4.88's later this year or early next year and would love to add the E-Locker at the same time.

Thanks.

Oh, and great looking truck. Love the steelies. Had them on my '94, but the offset didn't work with my BJ spacer lift and 33x10.50x15's so they had to go.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Some small updates.

1500 miles since re-torque of the head bolts, and not a drop of coolant lost since. This includes 3 days of trail riding.

Broken temperature control panel has been replaced
6943107878_33e1359b65_z.jpg

7089179653_df2bca051e_z.jpg

I have a friend that happens to be a fabrication genius I have enlisted his services for some upgrades for my 4runner.
I had him custom build some rocksliders using DOM tubing, and I have been VERY pleased with them so far. I don't really have any close ups
of them, but snapped a couple pics with my cell phone that will give an idea. I wanted them far enough out so they could be used as a step for
my wife, but not so far out that my legs would drag. I also wanted a rick out toward the rear tires to help push off away from the flares.

7088985371_a50983cac4_z.jpg

7088986771_e9283b5013_z.jpg

7089130043_90fb399d79_z.jpg

In the coming weeks he will also be building a swing out tire carrier, and jerry can holder for the rear that will incorporate
side protection, D-rings, and a hitch. On the front he will be building a plate bumper that will make a nice home for the winch to
be ordered soon.

I started pricing rebuilding the elocker myself using 4.88 gears, master rebuild kit, and solid spacer setup. I found
I could purchase an entire elocker 3rd member built like I wanted for not much more $ than I had planned, and it comes
with a warranty from East Coast Gear Supply which is fairly local here in NC.

7089076745_ace06ebd2d_z.jpg

I also have bought a complete low mileage IFS front end with factory 4.88s, axles for spares, and a couple factory aisin manual hubs to replace the
warns it currently has on it.

To accompany the elocker, I contacted 12voltguy.com to pick up one of his switch panels, and harness' for ease of install

7089076199_75125b641f_z.jpg

6943005690_b5491bb6f9_n.jpg

As of sunday, a soft top was added to my list of To Do's by my wife. She, my little girl and my dog loved riding with the top off, but
my wife wants protection from the sun and the ability to close it up on the fly depending on the weather conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998