My Camping Trailer Project

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Curtis, do you/will you have a build thread on this?

to the OP, nice work.

alfio,
I am documenting my build as it progresses, much like Dirtco has done on his here. It is coming along nicely and I think I have overcome the disc brake issues.
It will be Electric/ Hydraulic disc brakes! It has come a long way from the picture posted above.
Always fun to push the envelope.
Haven't started a build thread on it yet, but I'll post up one on it once I get enough of it done to hold everyones interest. I'm a slow methodical builder! (Spent the last two days just cleaning up the calipers on the dang thing.)

Dirtco! How's your's coming along? Any new progress or is it too cold to work on it right now? IIRC you are in Colorado? Right?
It was 25 degress in my shop this morning and I just couldn't stay out there as long as I wanted.....

Dirtco

Adventurer
Curtis, do you/will you have a build thread on this?

to the OP, nice work.

Thanks!

Dirtco! How's your's coming along? Any new progress or is it too cold to work on it right now? IIRC you are in Colorado? Right?
It was 25 degress in my shop this morning and I just couldn't stay out there as long as I wanted.....

Yes, I'm in Colorado. Winter is my busy time at work, so I have not had much time to work on it. I worked on it a little bit today and I might get a couple hours in tomorrow. I will take a couple pictures.

I'm lucky and have access to the heated shop where I work on my days off. The trailer was burried in four feet of snow when I pulled it in the shop this weekend!

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
I know what that snow stuff is. We had some two weeks ago around here for one day. IIRC it was almost an inch and a half deep.:wings:
Then it went away. Might get another day of it in Feburary, then we're off for our Pre Spring weather.
It's nice to have only 2 weeks of winter in Texas.
The best part is those two weeks of winter weather here arn't always back to back.
Sadly our Summers are 6 months long! But hey, you don't need a stove to fry your eggs here. A car hood will do. :)

Don't know how your guys do it! I can always cool off in the pool here, but can only put on so many clothes to get warm.

We'll be waiting for your pictures.:coffeedrink:

Dirtco

Adventurer
I’ve been pretty busy but I was able to get a couple things done on the trailer. I got the main floor installed, it’s just ½” plywood with several coats of Kilz paint. It still needs to be covered in some outdoor carpet and have the cargo tie downs installed. I also got a good start on the upper tent entry platform bracing; it will be covered by a piece of aluminum diamond plate. And I got some of the bracing for the firewood/trash storage completed.

I also installed the stainless steel box that will house some of the random electrical stuff and I got the shocks mounted. I didn’t take any pictures during the process but I did snap a couple after I parked it. The sun had just gone down so the lighting really sucks.

DSCN0108.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0103.jpg

DSCN0105.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Dirtco

Adventurer
I had some good progress on the trailer. I finished the upper deck bracing and cut up an old broken tool box that I stole the aluminium diamond plate from. I also started on the battery box.

The most exciting progress was mocking up the tent. The tent sat too high the way it was, so I needed to trim the legs down. It's a Tent-Cot so you sink down into it just like a normal cot. Because of that it still needs to sit pretty high. After a whole lot of measuring I decided to remove 4" from the legs. I still need to skin the top of the trailer before I can install the tent for good. Once it is installed I can make the outer tent support poles and try to find someone that can make a custom waterproof cover for it.

This is what the tent looks like in stock form.

n009r660.jpg

n005r660.jpg

Here it is on the trailer in the folded postion!

DSCN0115.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

And here it is in the open postion! I did not install the poles for the domed top and there is nothing holding the outer sections of the tent, it's just sitting there.

DSCN0111.jpg

DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
That is cleaver Jeremiah!
I see you've been outside the box again! :wings:
I LIKE IT.

And you have enough room under the box to put in all kinds of tanks for the camping kitchen.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Speaking of raising the dead.......

It would be nice to see some shots of this build with green grass instead of snow...

The Memorial Day time limit has passed...:ylsmoke:

Any progress?

superpowerdave

Adventurer
I'm curious about the tent-cot stability. I've got a double, have plans to do the same thing on my Series trailer build. I noticed the outside legs have been reduced from the original extension, but didn't see any fixing points on the trailer for them to set into the maintain stability. Just curious how you solved this problem. I'm not there yet, but will be very soon.

Dirtco

Adventurer
Thanks guys! :D I've been really busy and there didn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in the trailer, so I stopped checking/updating the thread.

I'll get everyone back up to speed and caught up... (Copy and paste from another site):)

The next step was to skin the roof; I used 16 gauge sheet metal. I fully welded the entire thing around the outside edges, and then smoothed it all out. For added strength and style I added spot welds around the edges and the center support.

DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0133.jpg

With a little bit of paint around the edges

DSCN0140.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

Last edited:

Dirtco

Adventurer
I also chopped off the old tongue and made a new shorter, stronger and better looking one. I also installed the mount for my new jack.

DSCN0130.jpg

And the new jack, I added a pneumatic tire/wheel to the bottom for the added height and maneuverability.

DSCN0135.jpg

DSCN0136.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
I test fit my cooler in the front cargo area. It fits great and there is room for a small box next to the cooler for dry food. The plan is to have a platform with slide-outs, that way I have access to all my food without unloading the cooler, etc. The cooler is a little small, but I always have one in the back of the 4Runner so this one will mainly be for stuff that I only need a couple times a day. Drinks, lunch and stuff like that will be in the 4Runner and this will only be used for dinner and breakfast. I also plan to add some extra insulation to it.

DSCN0151.jpg

DSCN0150.jpg

I picked up a section of diamond plate for free. It wasn't very big and I had to trim it down (it was a funky size that was not cut straight) but it works great for the leading edge of the trailer (I know it will get a lot of rock chips, so having something that does not need paint was a bonus). The lower open section will just be sheet metal, but it will be hidden by the firewood box.

DSCN0155.jpg

DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger