My Gen 2.5 build and Custom fabrication

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Jeep-n-montero I'm actually going to fab up a 3 inch mandrel exhaust here shortly, getting rid of the cat all together. I'm pretty sure my cat is clogged up anyway. I love the sound of borla, so I've chosen the borla xs 3 inch in/out offset design. I'll post more pics this week of some of the trucks progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 inch is actually too free flowing and will run too cool, you need some heat in the exhaust flow or you will actually lose hp, stick with 2.5 inch piping.

GFO

Observer
SlickRicksBricks,

Love your rig so far. I'm a fan of all the non-conventional builds/ideas you 'do-it-yourself' types come up with.

Last edited:
Jeep -n-montero - thanks for the input, I wasn't quite sure if a 3 inch was overkill or not. Have you done a 2.5 inch on your montero? And if so how noticeable were the gains?

Mudrunner - thanks man!

GFO- thanks for the positive vibes bro

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I've got 2.5" exhaust, high flow Magnaflow cats and muffler. The only noticeable gain is exhaust ground clearance, i had it moved up 2" from stock. The hard part about having a shop do your exhaust is getting them to make it high enough over the rear axle to not get bent up there. Performance wise maybe i gained something, maybe not but it makes good niose. Not so loud that i have droning on the highway but it has a good healthy sound especially in the low end.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Jeep -n-montero - thanks for the input, I wasn't quite sure if a 3 inch was overkill or not. Have you done a 2.5 inch on your montero? And if so how noticeable were the gains?

Mudrunner - thanks man!

GFO- thanks for the positive vibes bro

I haven't done mine yet but will be using 2.5 inch piping, and there will definitely be some gains to be had over a 16 year old factory exhaust.

Thank for the input guys on the exhaust ^^^

I plan on running a borla muffler like I said previously, with no cat, or added resonators :O. I want as little flow restriction as possible. The good thing is, my county doesn't have smog :) so I can get away with a lot more out here. It's going to sound rowdy haha

senadepe.jpg

Here's how the truck sits now. I will be removing the winch plate soon, and at that time design and fab up the front bumper.

Here is a picture of the finished intake setup for the snorkel. A simple 45 degree 3.5 inch coupler mated to a ford intake box. Sounds good and will keep water out. ;)
use7u8u3.jpg

a4ene5yg.jpg

Old exhaust had to go. When I pulled it off I saw that the previous owner had gutted the cat. That explains the beefier sounding stock exhaust.

I went with 2.5 inch mandrel bends and cut them accordingly. Turned out very nice and no crushed bends. Sounds great! More beastly. I'll post video soon.
nuqedepe.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Old exhaust had to go. When I pulled it off I saw that the previous owner had gutted the cat. That explains the beefier sounding stock exhaust.

I went with 2.5 inch mandrel bends and cut them accordingly. Turned out very nice and no crushed bends. Sounds great! More beastly. I'll post video soon.
nuqedepe.jpg

Did you modify one of the exhaust builder kits or make your own?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears