My Journey

jd.....it didn't occur to me that Dillon had a YMCA.....damn !

Unkamonkey.....I woke up this morning at 4:30 a.m. with a 5 month old Golden Retriever on my head.....I love it !

A7361F76-DCF2-4AB1-86C4-0F5714F7E5D1.jpg

While doing all that hiking at Crater of the Moon, of course I was thinking where next ? I came up with a plan for the next week, and we were off early Thursday morning.....driving west. We stopped along a lonely road somewhere in Idaho, had lunch and hiked into the foothills of the Pioneer Mountains.....

32E814AD-BA6B-44E4-95AE-95B100BF2196.jpg

We continued west with Boise, Idaho being the goal for the day. A few hours into our drive, all plans changed. There, sitting at a dealership along the highway, I saw a 2018 Renegade Classic 37'. I could hardly believe my stroke of luck (or is it ?). I've read about these units, watched a show on television about them, saw their construction methods (these things are not built like a typical motor home), and have certainly drooled over them in the past. So that was Thursday afternoon when I first saw it. It's Sunday morning now and I'm camped on their lot. I've test driven it and loved it (although at 350 HP possibly a little under powered ?). I don't think the layout could be any better for our lifestyle (although possibly a little larger than what I need / want). I spent the remainder of Thursday there, returned Friday and spent the entire day there, and have plans to meet them tomorrow morning. It's a massive.....huge decision for me. How will it change my style of life ? It sometimes seems like with every positive, I can find a negative. I would imagine my next post will tell the end of this chapter.....

086DFE5F-9584-4AB9-8DE6-DC18FB28EA0E.jpg

C9C29FC8-5ACF-40F5-BD8A-F5EB93DC0D0A.jpg

54D994B2-9641-4F47-9BC3-9DF35C59147B.jpg

6AA1C870-F754-474B-99F8-6D053A5CE199.jpg

FE66C30C-05D8-4AC3-B136-9305939873F2.jpg

Either way, life is good for us, and we stay thankful.....

Last edited:

Grenadiers

Adventurer
My wife and I went from an old '93 diesel pusher, no slides, to a F350 w/Lance camper, to a '04 Winnebago Vectra diesel pusher, to now, our 1985 Swiss-made Saurer 6dm 4x4 11 ton military truck camper conversion. Each one of those choices predicated a certain lifestyle, which might sound obvious, but in reality was difficult for us. I miss the Vectra, but after paying exorbitant RV park fees, limited parking choices, rough Mexican roads, crowded freeways, crowded RV Parks, constant maintenance, etc. (lots of etc!), glad we sold it. The Saurer is big and slow, and the Bundeswehr cargo container was only 13 feet long. However, we had the container extended, and just finished up remodeling the entire interior. Our goal is to take the gravel road less traveled, (even the rough Mexican ones) and that includes towing my built Jeep Wrangler for further off-road excursions.

You might want to rent a big RV first before making this choice.

chet6.7

Explorer
That looks nice,it will change your lifestyle, it's a freeway cruiser,it is heavy,and will need the state of Kansas to turn around.:)
Are there size limits in National Forest campgrounds?
I had a class C for awhile,it was hard to turn around,this was before RV cams,I was always worried about getting stuck on dirt roads,and large campground/RV park camping was not my thing.
It was comfortable,the a large rear bathroom was nice, sometimes I wish I still had it.My current rig is not comfortable,but I can turn around and I don't worry much about getting stuck.
It is hard to find the perfect rig,something on a long wheel base 550 chassis may better for you, if you want to travel back roads.
Life's needs and wants change.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJMwBwFj5nQ

I agree with most everything you guys have to say. My current truck & camper is a little over 25', the Renegade at 37' adds almost 12', so not really that much more to deal with. This is my third attempt at full timing and I swear I just need more space. I'm not real impressed with standard motor homes, but the construction of this unit is not like typical motor homes. It's built on a truck frame with a truck engine.....it's the real deal.....and the price reflects that. I rarely visit campgrounds so that's not a concern of mine. Mexico is no longer allowing truck campers in, so that's an issue for me. My truck has about 240,000 miles on it and I just don't have the confidence in it any longer. I need something that's durable, dependable, and gives me some more indoor space. I can't think of one place in Mexico that I've previously visited, that this won't go. Next summer I'll either be in Alaska and Canada or living on a farm in Montana. This thing could be perfect for that. Like my best friend said this morning, if it doesn't work out, just sell it and move on.....

Chet.....just watched that video. Well said.....and that's a real concern of mine......

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Good luck with it. My mitso fuso is 20' from stem to stern. It's fine for a single person and the canines. Less to heat and cool and the cleaning is reduced.
I have stayed in it for months at a time.
I had room mates that told me that my cat was sleeping on my face. She slept on my chest and her head may have been on my face. As the old line goes, It's your lie, tell it like you want to.

longhorn1

Observer
Awesome looking camper. With our Silver Sneakers caRd and "Y" membership the shower was free. I look ahead of our trip. In Montross, CO found a brand new community center. They had a half dozen cabanna's so my wife and I used one. 12' x12' room with sink, toiled and shower. Always a sweet find
jd

chet6.7

Explorer
That would be a great AK rig,and, as your friend said, you can always move on to something else if it doesn't work out.Go for it Jerry!

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I spent a few years on the fair and rodeo circuit doing entertainment & shows. A lot of those doing the same ran these, they would full time in them and work them at the same time. Towing heavy trailers with equipment, stock, bunk house models, etc. They seemed to hold up better than the " standard" rv pusher, or class c. Im sure it would flat tow the jeep or truck, just fine. Happy Trails

I think Renegade originally started building these units for guys on the race car circuit and they’ve expanded from there. I still haven’t bought it, and yesterday I left town for Boise, Idaho (less than 50 miles) to look at a couple other units.....

72777A69-D3ED-482B-A035-F5DF6D954E0A.jpg

I’m working with them on trying to upgrade the solar system. I pretty much live off the grid so that’s very important to me. An issue I’ll have in Mexico will be finding clean fuel. The rig has a one hundred gallon fuel tank and at 8 miles per gallon, I’ll definitely be needing fuel. Of course there’s a huge diesel generator which I wouldn’t want to use if clean fuel isn’t available (obviously I’ll want the fuel to run the rig). Currently it has two 160 watt solar panels and has the potential to add one more. The dealer is suggesting that he adds a third battery and another 160 watt solar panel. To add anymore panels would require another control panel and apparently that’s a huge deal to wire it. My guess is that I’m not buying this thing, but we shall see.....I need to make a change of some sort.....

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
That's understandable, they must not want to sell that bad if they are dragging their feet. If the controller could not handle it, it would require putting in another one and adding the additional wire, etc. Another battery(or more) would not hurt, the weight would not bother that rig. I also have been itching for a change and have not figured it out yet. Ill spend a week in Columbia in december hopefully that will help. Ever looked into a Earthroamer? You Can pick up used ones, also though much like the renegade: they come at a price. However they are designed and tested for that, but are also quite a bit smaller. Global Expedition vehicles, could also be an option. Its good to have options and be looking before you need something though.

I think that rigs like the Earthroamer or Global Expedition vehicles are overkill for travel in North America, which really is where I’m interested in being these days. Plus I also think that those rigs are over priced. So, yea, while I’ve considered them, I doubt I could ever get serious about one.....

Last night I was able to work out a deal with the dealer on the Renegade where I’ll buy the rig as is, and then I’ll get the additional solar panels, wiring upgrades and controller done by Solar Mike in Slab City, California. I spoke with him yesterday and he knows what it needs. They also threw in enough cash to get horse power upgrades done if I choose to do that. I really do like dealing with these guys.....

Then I had trouble sleeping last night, woke up at 4:00 a.m. and thought “this rig is too big for me !”. So what to ?

furbucket

Observer
I think this was suggested earlier- but can you rent something of equivalent size first to see how you like/hate driving it around?

How hard would it be to sell if you decide it's not for you? And would you lose a lot or a little on it if you did sell quickly??

How many places have you been that that thing wouldn't fit, or be able to turn around, or get stuck on the way there?

Have you seen what these guys build: http://overlandex.com/vehicles/
Some nice options there. The website seems to not display well on my phone but their Facebook page has some great photos and there are a couple threads on here somewhere with more info...

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen

ClayH

Adventurer
So what to ?
To me it's a no brainer. The increased space and extra comforts will go a long way in maintaining your sanity lol. The high miles on your truck will no longer weigh on your mind. You can still tow the jeep to get to those remote locations as well as use it in case you get the big rig stuck in the mud. Living vicariously through you and seeing what your needs are, I'd trade up and never look back...if its financially viable for you.
You can always step it back down later if you need to.

Last edited:
Furbucket.....I actually just read an article about Overland Expedition rigs several days ago. A Sprinter van has no appeal to me (I just don't understand why it appeals to anyone really) and their truck is possibly smaller than what I have now, therefore it's out. But thanks for chiming in.....

Clay.....I wish it was a no brainer for me. I've mulled this over since Thursday afternoon and my brain is about fried.....

And so it was that I was supposed to meet the salesman Wednesday morning but I was a no show. I texted the guy and basically said I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet.....

AE338E06-EFC4-4C1D-B1BB-508B92C9C88D.jpg

We hit the interstate and drove north and a bit west.....the more I drove, the more I regretted my decision. We crossed our second state line of the trip.....

2B2722E2-EDE5-4584-8F83-B6FAB09D4BD8.jpg

I drove this stretch of road years ago, at night, so it was all new to me. The mountains in eastern Oregon are beautiful. I took a few pictures as we drove along.....

4BE2D264-64E2-421A-9CB6-BFD2301F5E59.jpg

We made a stop along the Snake River where thank God I found a free place to empty the sewer tank (at a state park). State parks are expensive in Oregon (in my opinion).....winter rates were $18 per night plus $7 for the extra vehicle (why does that cost extra ?). Anyhow, I'm guessing I'll be using their state parks soon.....

F206E375-6071-4512-A5F2-99774DD2766B.jpg

I had an appointment with Arctic Fox for this morning, so our destination for the day was LaGrande, Oregon, where the Arctic Fox factory is located. We arrived yesterday afternoon at the Northwood (parent name) plant and spent the night in one of their gravel lots.....I was hoping they might have accommodations here for Arctic Fox owners, but no such luck. They'll be addressing some of the issues I'm having with the unit, such as a possible propane leak, faulty slide, and a few more slightly less important issues.....

I counted about fifty truck campers on their lots, tons of other stuff as well.....

E8B27102-B3AA-4ADF-8ED5-8E8135BA4185.jpg

EC7AE6BB-D1F3-46E0-B64F-27A831EC121D.jpg

22 days on the road.....snow in the forecast.....I need to get moving.....

Last edited:
I revel in my canyon solitude until I realize the freedom I pursue with a passion is connected to loneliness, rather than to the ties of companionship.....

Canyon Solitude by Patricia M. McCairen

The following morning the Arctic Fox service guys did the repairs on the camper and afterwards I took a tour of the plant to see how these things are built. I was very impressed with some aspects of my camper's construction, but other aspects not so much. I'm really surprised at the construction of the slide and now I understand why my feet stay cold when it's cold outside. There's not much to it.....

26C83C2B-1708-4CE9-87BC-79AEE3ED08B5.jpg

1212AC76-63B6-44D9-9488-A873CB5E53C7.jpg

EE7048FE-541B-4F72-82C9-0BF196EB389D.jpg

108E60A1-974B-460B-86AE-70114A4D95D1.jpg

The company representative told me that they sell 1,000 truck campers annually, and that the number could be much higher if they could find more help. He added that every unit I saw on his lot was already sold and was just waiting on delivery. It's hard to believe.....

Now my original thoughts were to leave that afternoon but with snow in the forecast I decided to stay another night. So we headed into the historic district to get some walking in before we called it a day.....

461CEE92-0157-42AF-883D-912BE8473791.jpg

Then we spent a cold, wet night in a Safeway parking lot.....

8D15F8B0-8C69-4398-958E-3CE6AC0402D7.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior