My latest mitsu build-up...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Not a dumb question, cause I want to know where they are hiding on my new to me '99 Montero. I find it hard to believe an upscale SUV (which is what this full size Montero was when in '99) did NOT come with cup holders....but apparently that is the case...or I'm just retarded and can't find them, which is just as likely.... :D

Yup you're retarded ;-).

In mine there are 2 in the center console under the cover. In the gen 2.5 (98-2000) I've been in (grasscat's) they are also in the center console but iirc they retract into the console. Yours may be different since his is a 98.

speedtre

Explorer
Yup you're retarded ;-).

In mine there are 2 in the center console under the cover. In the gen 2.5 (98-2000) I've been in (grasscat's) they are also in the center console but iirc they retract into the console. Yours may be different since his is a 98.

LOL....I knew there was a good chance of that! I'm going to have another look at it, but I've been all over my center console, inside and out and not seen them...now where is that retard smiley face....this will have to do...:drool:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
LOL....I knew there was a good chance of that! I'm going to have another look at it, but I've been all over my center console, inside and out and not seen them...now where is that retard smiley face....this will have to do...:drool:
LOL, there's still a good chance you're right and they changed the console from 98 to 99.

You did go with a 35 12.50 15 tire, correct? I have been considering the options of doing this sort of build up. But, I've been warned by a couple of folks about the instability, too much on hwy flex, and load range of the 35x12.50x15s.... It didnt dawn on me until this morning that the 315 75 R16s would give me the height I would like, but also the load, less flexible side wall and likely better hwy handling behavior. But the price sucks.

So why did I post this here? I was wondering your real world experience with the 35 12.50 15s and your actual thoughts of them mounted on the Monty?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
You did go with a 35 12.50 15 tire, correct? I have been considering the options of doing this sort of build up. But, I've been warned by a couple of folks about the instability, too much on hwy flex, and load range of the 35x12.50x15s.... It didnt dawn on me until this morning that the 315 75 R16s would give me the height I would like, but also the load, less flexible side wall and likely better hwy handling behavior. But the price sucks.

So why did I post this here? I was wondering your real world experience with the 35 12.50 15s and your actual thoughts of them mounted on the Monty?

Love em other than the obvious noise of the MT's over say a basic truck tire or even an AT tire. I found I do have uneven wear causing 90% of the noise. I need to replace parts of the steering system for excessive play in them. This should cure most of the uneven wear and therefore most of the tire noise. Overall, the extra noise doesn't bother me really. Without the uneven wear, the noise is VERY acceptable.

In my experience when compared to most built 4x4's and even most stock pickups, the ride is comfortably plush.

Also, I'm not running the tire pressure at 32PSI as some 4x4 owners do. I'm closer to somewhere between 26-28psi (depending on what's in it). Being a 4 ply side wall tire, it's more than capable of handling a 2 ton load at that pressure and the tread wear is much more even. At 32 PSI, only the center tread area wears. HTH.

Would you consider putting a roof top tent on your montero? It seems as if my wife is sold and a trailer is not optional for my upcoming trip...

Nope. too much drag. I'm happy w/ 15mpg and my 35's. It would probably drop to 12mpg with that on the roof.

I would be less concerned about drag and more about the extreme top-heaviness of the RTT being up there. But, Drag is a good point. I'm hoping to find an Autohomeus type that is more aerodynamic anyways... if i can find one for decent price that is.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Well, finally got around to updatting this thread with some old upgrades I did but never got on here.

I wanted to add secure storage in back. Folks have suggested building drawers or some kind of cabinet design but I've gone that route before and was not keen on the added weight it brings so this time I elected to have my design go on a bit of a diet...

Here's my setup...
DSC_4576.gif

For my needs I had just a few design criteria when my buddy (Michael aka Grasscat on here) and I designed & created a storage system for my 1996 Montero...

1) The solution had to be relatively light. As I've noted, I've built a few full blown drawer systems which I felt are simply too bulky and heavy for the benefit they provide. I wanted it to be lighter but also 'heavy-duty enough' a design to carry what I needed for a typical 3-7 day 4x4 trip on even the harshest rock crawling trips including an ARB Freezer fridge.
2) Platform would double as a bed.
3) I wanted to have full use of my middle row seating as required for family outings or airport runs LOL.
4) I decided to use simple sealed under bed plastic tubs.
5) And most importantly keep the design as simple as possible.

I first removed my 3rd row seats & folded the 2nd row seats forward (flat).
I then installed a platform cut to size across the entire rear half of the Montero. I used 2 sheets of 4'x4'x1/2" thick plywood for the platform. One of my idea's was to retain the ability to use the 2nd row seats since this is sometimes my daily driver. I also wanted to be able to store my ARB Freezer fridge securely on the platform hence the use of the U-Bolts in the animated gif above (they momentarily pop up out of the platform in the image above).

Here's a pic of the setup sans ARB fridge.

Image Notes:
(A) 2 hinges to fold the platform up and back to allow use of 2nd row seats. I still need to trim 2 corners of the folding section at this hinge because I didn't take into account the curvature of the side of the Montero. Currently the platform will not fold back until I trim a 1x6" triangle off those corners.
(B) beefy 5/16" dia metal (U-Bolt) "handles" are used for strap points for my ARB Freezer Fridge. Worked great off road BTW!
(C) The platform itself is 1/2" plywood that's 73"x53" which is large enough for 2 of us to sleep on.
(D) This is the 1x2" hardwood cross bracing.
(E) Here you can see the 2x4's being used to support the sides of the platform. They're mounted to the OE mounting points for the 3rd row seats via 1/8" aluminum angle iron. I need to use larger more aggressive screws for attaching the 2x4 mounts to the aluminum angle iron. The small 1/8" dia. screws I used were simply not up to task. I'll use 1/4" fasteners this time.
(F) This is the 1/4 dia. carriage bolt
(G) Here you can see 4 of the 6 Rubbermaid tubs I elected to use. Dimensions are 16.7x13.3x5.3" (x4) and 29x18x6 (x2). I also added 1/2x3/8" door seal gasket foam to the perimeter of the covers to better seal the tubs.
(H) This is one of 4 turnbuckles
(I) Here's the 3" ID PVC pipe cut to size and placed at each of the turnbuckle mount points.
(J) Here's the 'J' bolt end attached to the built in strap points in the floor of the Montero.

That's about it! Very simple design yet extremely effective. Can be completed in a day or quicker with a buddy's help. Better yet, get your buddy to do the whole project for you. That's what I did. :eek: Well truth be known, I was simply swamped with work and I'm sure the GrassCat was just itching for a project. LOL! Thanks again GrassCat!!

Oh, before I forget, GrassCat did mention that this is a patent pending design. ;)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Do these spacer fit the first gens as well?
It's very likely since the gen I & gen II coil springs are almost the same in diameter. Assuming they are then it should also fit into the spacer. Will the spacer fit into the spring perches on the gen I? That I don't know. If the spring perch is like the gen II's then yes. I can check later this evening on my Gen I if it looks the same.:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12