My Mombasa Roof Top Tent Review!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Here is my writeup with Pros, Cons, Fixes and Pics

UPDATE: I ended up mounting the tent to my Slee/African Outrack rack instead of the Thule bars and redid my writeup

http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/ctt.htm

Bottom line is that its a great piece of gear for the price ($393 shipped to my door). It will be even nicer once they "Fix" it!

Enjoy!

:beer:

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Great write-up, a nice real-world assessment. Having tested the ladder on Jeff's at the Trophy and having a similar build as you, I suspect you'll be doing a ladder mod sooner than later. For the price, I think it is all worth the extra effort. Good luck with it.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Ursidae69 said:
Great write-up, a nice real-world assessment. Having tested the ladder on Jeff's at the Trophy and having a similar build as you, I suspect you'll be doing a ladder mod sooner than later. For the price, I think it is all worth the extra effort. Good luck with it.

Thanks

The ladder is "Strong" enough, my issues with it are that its way over complicated for what it is! The pins and sliding parts arent really that necassary but make for a longer setup and too many pieces to lose and/or keep track of.

Also, It takes awhile to setup. We are only talking a few minutes here, nothing major, but i thought it should be mentioned!

:beer:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Mine arrived today. Just got done installing it. Bolted mine straight to the INTI rack.
Drilled out the rivets on the factory mounting brackets and took them off. Also,
removed the eyelits that were on the bottom of the tent too. Drilled straight through
the floor and through the aluminum frame into my aluminum floor. Used two small
plates on the back with some large 3/4" self tappers and drilled them in horizontally.
The tent aint goin' anywhere.

More pics here..
http://community.webshots.com/user/socalxj

My fat ****** trying to break the d**n thing.
dsc01332mt8.jpg

GF helping out.. (such a great girl i swear)
dsc01326aw2.jpg

Takes 30 seconds to open..
dsc01334ql9.jpg

dsc01317ml6.jpg

dsc01318vp6.jpg

dsc01319ju7.jpg

dsc01343wx6.jpg

The left side of the rack back on fitting perfectly, still holding the wilson antenna.
dsc01350yb3.jpg

Drove home, barely even knew the thing was up there. The NATO cans already block the wind anyways. The tent weighs 120lbs.. so it's not even that noticeable in the top heavy category.

Stoked to try it out. Not stoked to get out of it in the middle of the night drunk to take a leak.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Nice Fit! Looks great!

Not stoked to get out of it in the middle of the night drunk to take a leak.

Ha! I agree, this should be very interesting!

Curious, how much space is there between the rack and the tent and how the cover fits? Are you able to get the corners underneath it for a snug fit? Some close up pics in the daylight would be great!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
There's really nothing to take pictures of. The bolt just goes through the tent frame and bolts to my rack floor. If you look in the link i posted there is a pic of the bolt coming through the floor.

As far as the cover goes, no it does not tuck under the tent. The tent is mounted to the floor of the rack, so there's no gap whatsoever. The cover seemed plenty tight to stay on. Made it home and back into work today no problem.

I'll shoot more pics when i get time to open it up again. :victory:

Clutch

<---Pass
One of those may be my in future...Chad is getting back to me on price/shipping.

I was looking for a Wildernest...or perhaps a Flippac, but...:)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
SOCALFJ said:
Not stoked to get out of it in the middle of the night drunk to take a leak.

And I'm not stoked for either of ya', but you both put up nice reviews. Nice pics and good detail too. I think for that price those were too good to pass up. Good score and I think it's cool you were able to get them for such a great price through ExPo.

You two still going to DV in January? That would be a good field test for the tents. :camping:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
kcowyo said:
You two still going to DV in January? That would be a good field test for the tents. :camping:

It appears that a majority of the park is closed in mid winter. I would still like to do a cold weather trip SOMEWHERE though! Anyone got any ideas/and/or suggestions?

:camping:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Boston Mangler said:
It appears that a majority of the park is closed in mid winter. I would still like to do a cold weather trip SOMEWHERE though! Anyone got any ideas/and/or suggestions?

:camping:

Sure :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179