My next new build is about to start - V3 Explorer - Feedback from the group needed

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
This, is impressive! Well done. Make sure you got some rounded corners in your window openings to prevent cracking.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Okay gang. I need some feedback (again).

The boys at DK Diesel sent a picture of my truck with a set of 37's mounted. Not mine, but close enough for measurements.
_
I am trying to figure out how much clearance I need above the wheels or frame rails between the bottom of my box or wheel well and the wheel. Some statistics:
- The top of the 37" tire is approx. even with the frame rail without any lift.
- The BDS leveling kit I am using has a 2" block on the rear.
- The distance from the axel to the bump stop on the frame rail is 5.25"
- The 3 point pivot when it is done with have the camper box 3" above a line parallel to the frame rail.
_
So my question is: Since I get 3" from the 3-point pivot mount and 2" from the BDS block, I am darn close to the max travel of the wheel/tire. Do I need to create a wheel well at all? If yes, how much safety room is prudent".
_
My second question. The total outside width of tires is approx 1.5" less than the width of the box. Can I/Do I use the walls of the box to create a kind of flare/wheel well to keep water, road debris etc from kicking out to the side? (Tire width is 87.5" and the box is 90")

Thanks everyone.

Truck with 37 tire.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Is there a body builders book out for the Ram trucks? I know that dimension is in the Ford ones. F450 Crew cab DRW is 6.3" above frame rail on stock size tires @ axle CL.

I think your fine on width.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
This is going to be huge.

Should be a little shorter than the Earthroamer XV-LTS. I put the spare on the outside back wall versus setting it in and therefore saves some space inside and still have cabinetry across the rear wall.

Length - Bumper to bumper is going to be 287" (23.9'). Add another 13.5 inches to the overall length if you count the spare. Box width = 90". Std mirrors are 97" with the trailering mirrors measuring 109", body width front is 79".

Last edited:

tommyt

Awesome build so far... Been following your build since the beginning. DIY is the only way I'll ever be able to afford an expedition vehicle. Looking forward to the rest of your build. Have fun and take care...

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
They truck arrived and is now cut ...

Well it was in one piece for a while but now the boys at DK Diesel are doing what they do. Just starting to get longer, but have a look.
_
IMG_4517.jpgIMG_4498.jpgFrame questions 1.jpgIMG_4518.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Going back together is good!

Whats the wheelbase after the stretch? Mine is @ 208", about 140" end frame to cab (maybe a bit less), with the wide track front end it turns pretty damn well.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Going back together is good!

Whats the wheelbase after the stretch? Mine is @ 208", about 140" end frame to cab (maybe a bit less), with the wide track front end it turns pretty damn well.

My estimates are telling me: Wheelbase is going to be approx. 183.5" which is roughly 23" longer than the stock truck. The distance from the back of the cab (which has a bump out on it) to the end of the frame where the bumper bolts will be 124". The bumper is a rectangular tube approx. 3" thick. The overall length from the front bumper to the rear bumper is 280". However the spare is on the back which is another 12". So the overall length is around 24.5 feet.
_
The rear axel is almost in the middle of the cabin/box. I expect it will turn pretty well too.
_
We have discarded the factory hitch etc and are moving everything up. Which will give us a healthy departure angle of 25+.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
A question - Opinions wanted

I plan to have under bed/cabin boxes .... The box/cabin is attached to the frame via a 3 point pivot system.
_
Do I mount the boxes to the frame rails with welded brackets of some sort and keep it independent of the box? Or do I hang the boxes off the floor of the box/cabin? The latter will add weight to the box which is moving as part of the pivot.

Do I make the boxes out of aluminum (diamond plate or something), steel or fiberglass?

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan