My next new build is about to start - V3 Explorer - Feedback from the group needed

java

Expedition Leader
Awesome, mine may need some trimming of the rear bumper/sides, but it's a vast improvement from the old one still.

I would find some pre fab underbody boxes if you can make them work. Far cheaper than custom I think.

How much to you expect the box to move? I think mounting to the frame is a good idea, but with the three point it may need a fair bit of gap.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
@java. The gap was my specific worry. Just a place for dirt and debris to collect and difficult to clean etc. Plus it might look funny.
_
I don't know how much the box will move/frame rails will twist. I am allowing for approx. 5"-6" of total twist from one rail to the other at the rear. Which is similar to what Bullet-XV did on a similar dodge truck.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
@java. The gap was my specific worry. Just a place for dirt and debris to collect and difficult to clean etc. Plus it might look funny.
_
I don't know how much the box will move/frame rails will twist. I am allowing for approx. 5"-6" of total twist from one rail to the other at the rear. Which is similar to what Bullet-XV did on a similar dodge truck.

Exactly what I was concerned about. I would prefer the weight to be frame mounted, not to stress the box. But you could make some yourself in your carbon panels that would be light weight and just try to keep the load to lighter stuff.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Beautiful work. I wish I had the space, skill, $$$, and patience to tackle such an awesome build.

:drool:

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Beautiful work. I wish I had the space, skill, $$$, and patience to tackle such an awesome build.

:drool:

Thanks @Guidolyons...

Lack of money is a terrific motivator. I spent most of the day in the shop today. Its always hard to get started, but once I did, I was able to make some good progress.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Back in the shop ofter Christmas ...

Today, I got to the shop and after laying a lot of stuff out and checking measurements and fits 2 & 3 times, I was able to mock the start of the interior up. Right now it is held in place with hot glue gun glue (which is easy to take apart). Once I have most everything finalized I will go back around and stick it all together permanently with Proset Rubber Toughened Epoxy. My boat building buddies call it "the green glue".

IMG_4158.jpg
_
IMG_4159.jpg
The bottom picture shows the bathroom/shower. It will get a sliding door on the inside. Beside it is the beginning of the cabinet to house the Isotherm Fridge/Freezer & Microwave

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
The rear wall shelving/cubbies is ready to expoxy in ...

Big weekend in the shop. Lots of measuring and figuring. The wood will get stained, sealed with WEST epoxy and eventually there are Sunbrella canvas doors with zippers covering the holes. Gotta keep stuff in place going down the road :)
_
IMG_4170.jpg
_
IMG_4169.jpg
_
IMG_4168.jpg

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
And now onto the wheel wells

To accommodate the larger wheels while keeping the camper box as close to the frame rails as possible, I need to modify the box a little and put a smallish wheel well in.
_
I made a wooden plug and laminated 6 layers of a carbon/Kevlar weave. Hopefully it pops off the form without too much trouble.
_
Have a look ... The second picture shows it on the laminating table being vacuum bagged down.
_
IMG_4187.jpg
_
IMG_4188.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Looking good! Where does one purchase the Pro Set glue? My google came up with nothing for sale... Sounds like exactly what I need for my cabinets, very similar to the six10 stuff from West Systems, but with more flex.

S2DM

Adventurer
Looking good! Where does one purchase the Pro Set glue? My google came up with nothing for sale... Sounds like exactly what I need for my cabinets, very similar to the six10 stuff from West Systems, but with more flex.

I get mine from RevChem composites. You can also order from jamestown distributors.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp

I buy mine at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. There are different mixes. Fast, Medium & Slow. Comes in clear, green & black. Plus there is a "toughened" formulation (which is what I use).

java

Expedition Leader
I buy mine at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. There are different mixes. Fast, Medium & Slow. Comes in clear, green & black. Plus there is a "toughened" formulation (which is what I use).
Thanks! I didn't see it on their site. That's funny, my office is literally across the street.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12