My nuts sheared off

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'm wondering if the lugs/studs are rated for the load. How are these lugs/studs different from the OE system?

dhackney

Expedition Leader
The previous owner had a new set of tires put on roadside and I'm pretty sure that's where these problems are coming from.

There was a brief owner between Jon and us.

The tires on the truck when we sold it had very little wear but had aged out while in storage. They started to de-laminate on the new owner as they drove from TX to CA. IIRC they bought the tires Jon inherited in West Texas or NM.

It is my understanding they were installed at a commercial truck dealership much like the Goodyear commercial truck dealership in Peru where we bought the tires that were on the truck when we sold it.

The Fuso was the smallest vehicle at the Goodyear dealer in Peru and the gun they used to spin down the lug nuts was half as big as the guy using it.

My only regret is not personally going eyes-on with the compressor, wherever it was tucked away in the facility.

I've never seen a V-8 compressor, and I'm not saying they had one, but it had to be big to run those ginormous pneumatic wrenches.

So, Jon, if you want to go down to Peru and meet your starboard-rear lug-nut tormentor in person, I've got the coordinates...

2008-10-01-SD870 IS-7804-800.jpg

One of the Peruvian tire guys sealing the bead by exploding a mixture of gas & air in the tire. SOP.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I'd run a cutting disc down through the nut and stud from one side to the other just short of hitting the rim and then try to split the nut of. It's worked for me before.

Dan.

yabanja

Explorer
We see stretched lug studs/bolts a lot on smaller vehicles from over-torqueing. It would be a good idea to replace all the studs on the vehicle.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Has anyone else run as much weight as this on the single rims/lugs?

Hi Kerry,

I know of a handful of 649 and 84 Canters running around 7 to 7.5 ton on singles and to my knowledge they haven't experienced this failure but i wouldn't want to speculate on the weight of Dougs old truck. Not saying they wouldn't handle it but I rarely see trucks this heavy still on duals either. We put singles on some really odd stuff in the mines too .....some of the explosives trucks are just wrong..........very much overweight and sometimes close to 1000 kg heavier on the rhs where the dewatering reels are than on the lhs....and still OK.

Pugslyyy is probably correct in his reasoning, me thinks.

Hey Doug!!!! My brain thinks port 'n' starboard too!!

Regards
John.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'd run a cutting disc down through the nut and stud from one side to the other just short of hitting the rim and then try to split the nut of. It's worked for me before.

Dan.

I think there is room to get in there and do this - I'm just a bit nervous about damaging my $500 unobtanium rim.

pugslyyy

We see stretched lug studs/bolts a lot on smaller vehicles from over-torqueing. It would be a good idea to replace all the studs on the vehicle.

You are probably right. Just working this one corner now but I'll probably be working my way around the truck.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I'm just a bit nervous about damaging my $500 unobtanium rim.
I hear ya bud... the solution is quite simple however.

Go to the effort of making a protective plate out of sheet metal (20 gauge plus), just like a big washer.

* Cut out a hex hole the size of the nut (41mm)
* Slip it over the nut. The hex hole does not need to be perfect, but making it a neat fit would be desirable.
* Hold the plate onto the rim with some duct tape.

If you do make a small slip with the grinder you will hit the protective plate, not the rim.
Simple as... :)

engineer

Adventurer
Why don't you just unadjust the brakes, take the bearings out and remove the drum and wheel as one,
cut the inside lock nut off the stud, it would be alot easier!!!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Are you planning on changing all 24 studs?
It seems from your build thread it was more then one wheel that was a PITA to get off.
I'd guess if you are having this much problems with this wheel, all the wheels (studs) could have been damages by SuperDuberYouMadeTheHulkMad torques.
Any thoughts as to the truck's weight being a contributor to the shearing?
I know it never has and never will be disclosed, but I've heard 'speculations' of 30,000+ pounds for the ex-Hackney rig. Maybe the studs are becoming the weak-link, and perhaps now should become a replace by mileage item, instead of an on-condition item?
Best of luck.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I find it odd that the lugs were tightening rather than loosening. Does anyone else? My lugs were damn tight when I got the truck. My personal heavy duty 1" impact wrench didn't budge them at all. It took the giant Big Bertha at the truck tire company with a second person wacking in the impact with a sledge hammer to loosen them. I haven't had any lugs break since then and I've put about 25k miles on the truck since then. I'm only at about 12k lbs. I did buy one of those gas impact wrenches for future problems but I don't carry it in the truck.

pugslyyy

I'm going to definitely replace the right rear, and then work my way around checking the others. This was the only corner where the inner dually lugs were practically welded on so I'll decide on a case-by-case basis.

It could be weight related, but I don't think so - losing one lug nut should have started a cascade event as the other lugs had to hold more weight / impact / stress I would think. The safety factor on wheel studs is at least 5X and probably over 10X (when new). Not to say that I wasn't nervous running one stud down on the rear! :)

I need to run the Fuso through a scale fully laden. It's a heavy truck (remember the wheelbase was extended, suspension replaced, frame reinforced, etc) - I wouldn't be surprised to come in over the original weight rating, but I wouldn't expect it to be ridiculously so.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Wasn't the original weight rating 14k lbs? I think a lot of people have their money on the ridiculous end of the scale. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998