My Rover

locrwln

Expedition Leader
LC/LR4Life said:
Dude if you are in Nevada, you should hook up with my buddy Spressomon. He's got a hell of a Cruiser.

Unfortunately, it is hunting season, so Dan is AWOL for the next few months.;)

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
DiscoveryXD said:
and it's lifted with big tires, roof rack, bumpers, all the good stuff!

I don't even like it when my own father drives my truck. :D

Well she helps me build them, she even has her own set of coveralls, so I figure its only fair that she gets to wheel and drive them.

Besides it was time to change the oil, smog check, get tires rotated, etc. to her car.

Jack

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
locrwln said:
I saw that, I just figured you were doing it out of reflex and wondering why some guy in a car was waving.:smilies27

Jack

Bingo, that's exactly what I was doing. :D

locrwln said:
Well she helps me build them, she even has her own set of coveralls, so I figure its only fair that she gets to wheel and drive them.

Besides it was time to change the oil, smog check, get tires rotated, etc. to her car.

Jack

that's awsome! not too many girls like that around, that's for sure.

Green96D1

Explorer
DiscoveryXD said:
yeah, it's a 4.10

I'm getting anxious, I want to put this thing in!:wings:

I sold my GBR axles yesterday, and the 45min drive on the freeway made me really want to go bigger than a 285/75/16. I just think the 33" is too small for 4.11's cause I'm getting passed by everyone and everything on the freeway! taller tire sounds nice...

super swamper 35x10.50 SSR's:D

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
I had 4.11s in my FJ40 Land Cruiser with 31" tires.... I think 33"s would be ok with that gear ratio without making you tooo slow. You want an off road machine or a mall crawler? haha My 100 has the stock 4.3 gears, and when I go to ARBs front and rear I am changing to 4.88s and 33" tires.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
LC/LR4Life said:
I had 4.11s in my FJ40 Land Cruiser with 31" tires.... I think 33"s would be ok with that gear ratio without making you tooo slow. You want an off road machine or a mall crawler? haha My 100 has the stock 4.3 gears, and when I go to ARBs front and rear I am changing to 4.88s and 33" tires.

haha, check the pics on page 1, this is no mall crawler!

I just don't like the way this gear/tire combo has me setup cruising on the freeway. In don't mind driving around town like this, but on those long drives to remote spots out in the desert, I want to be able to do more than 60mph average without burning through lots of gas.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I'm sorry, but that last post violated one of the most cherished ExPo rules:
Inappropriate Threads or Posts:

A thread or post is considered inappropriate by the ExPo community if they contain one or more of the following:
1. sexually suggestive topics;
2. provocatively dressed persons;
3. vulgar or crude topics;
4. brand or product bashing;
5. any material that could be considered discriminatory in any way including but not limited to racial, sexual, religion or nationally;
6. any content that would not be generally appropriate for a 6 year old child - remember ExPo is a family friendly site.
7. Any reference to a boy-band, unless followed by the phrase, "not that I listen to that type of music".
;) ;) ;)

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
DiscoveryXD said:
haha, check the pics on page 1, this is no mall crawler!

I just don't like the way this gear/tire combo has me setup cruising on the freeway. In don't mind driving around town like this, but on those long drives to remote spots out in the desert, I want to be able to do more than 60mph average without burning through lots of gas.

If you go to 35s with 4.11 gears you will lose grunt though. I suggest swapping to at least a 4.56 gear ratio..... You will be more near where you would want to be for good off road performance (with 35s), and street performance for the higher speeds. With 4.11s I would go no taller than a 33 myself.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
LC/LR4Life said:
If you go to 35s with 4.11 gears you will lose grunt though. I suggest swapping to at least a 4.56 gear ratio..... You will be more near where you would want to be for good off road performance (with 35s), and street performance for the higher speeds. With 4.11s I would go no taller than a 33 myself.

yeah, I think it's just a matter of preferense too... I've heard some guys say that they think a 33 is a bit too small for 4.11's. I think a little bit bigger tire will help, but not suck a lot of power out of the truck. I don't expect the truck to be a speed demon anyways.

revor

Explorer
One has to remember that an LT230 in a Disco or D90 has a 1.22:1 underdrive in the high range of the transfer case 1.22*4.11 = about 5:1 final drive. 4.11's spin the Disco's and D90's up pretty tight on anything shorter that 33-35" tires.
The math and my speedometer tell me that 35's and 4.11's are about back to stock as far as gear ratio/road speed goes.
That said a stock engine might have trouble, not having enough umph to move the vehicle around (in a spirited fashion) with the bigger tires so something in the 34" range might be nice.
Buuuut Matt has a 4.6 L motor, that will make up for the lost performance of the bigger tires.
It's also good to remember that LR's only have 4 ratios available to them.
3.54, 3.90 (uber rare),4.11, 4.70 (to weak to be considered in a heavy car with horsepower and big tires) only one of those ratios matches Toyota/Dana ratios (commonly available)

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
thanks for the info Keith.

one of the things that made me really consider a bigger tire was a trip I wanted to go on with the BBCNN guys. They made a trip to death valley, and I really wanted to go, but couldn't... This had me thinking though. If I was to go on this trip with them, how could I keep up at freeway speeds without burning up gas like crazy? If the guys were averaging 65-70mph I don't think my gas tank would last very long... I'd be running at 2500 rpm and up, not that I've done a long distance test at that rpm, but I doubt my milage would be anything but sh!tty.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
DiscoveryXD said:
thanks for the info Keith.

one of the things that made me really consider a bigger tire was a trip I wanted to go on with the BBCNN guys. They made a trip to death valley, and I really wanted to go, but couldn't... This had me thinking though. If I was to go on this trip with them, how could I keep up at freeway speeds without burning up gas like crazy? If the guys were averaging 65-70mph I don't think my gas tank would last very long... I'd be running at 2500 rpm and up, not that I've done a long distance test at that rpm, but I doubt my milage would be anything but sh!tty.

Hey Matt,

I know like everyone else your time is limited, but before you spend more money on tires or anything else, I would do a quick speed limit run to Fernley and back. Fill up before you leave Reno/Sparks at the station of your choice, run out to Fernley and back, fill up at the same station and figure your mileage. That should give you a ballpark figure of your mileage, so that you will have a better idea of what you are up against.

I know that climbing the hill to the house takes the fuel in my 80. I made several runs back and forth to town on the last tank and I averaged...12.3mpg. :smilies27

I have gotten as much as 16.5mpg, but that was cruise control set at 65mph, from here to Tonopah. Most of the time I am in the neighborhood of 14mpg.

My old 4runner with the 3.0, actually got better mileage at higher rpms.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger