My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper

MYTACO

Adventurer
It was a quasi trade in. In reality it felt more like a donation. In Texas truck campers don't get the same treatment as a motorized vehicle. I actually got more than it is listed for now. Because of safety issues associated with the battery (lack of proper vent) and wiring (no master switch with solar and battery), I think the seller lowered the price. I was not aware of these issues until very recently--but was told that the unit didn't even come close to meeting industry safety standards. I was told the carbon dioxide detector (that used to constantly go off on warm days) should've been my warning. Ironically, Phoenix merely suggested to change out the batteries.

With that being said, I have taken 3 trouble free trips with the Unity and have a 24 day trip lined up for the end of June and into late July. I am very happy with the new purchase. It is absolutely trouble free! Rides better and gets better MPG. AND I am not stepping on the spouse or dogs-bonus!

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'm so happy for you guys. If anyone deserved some vehicle happiness it's your family. Once again, thanks for chronicling your experience. Travelling should be a fun time for all, not stressing as soon as you start loading for your next adventure, wondering if your brand new vehicle is going to hold up. All we need now is a picture of you guys driving off into the sunset in your new rig!

Paul Bunyan

I Nearly Bought this Camper

Thank for this post, I lucked into finding it as I was researching Phoenix Campers. I nearly purchased this camper, was ready to drive down there and get it. Even had my wife's buy-in. Luckily I found this and you saved me.

I would like to say that after I told the dealer in Seguin why I was no longer interested he had some not very nice things to say about you and also made a point of saying Cari from Phoenix had some personal things to say about you as well. They are not worth repeating even here on the web. If you are truly interested I can PM you the details. Short of it: Cari thought you were far too picky and could not be satisfied... the dealer's words were far more colorful.

Thank you for saving me this headache, much appreciated. Created this account to thank you specifically, maybe I'll have to check in as I find my expedition camper.

Perhaps I just need to convince my wife now to let me get a Unimog or a LMTV to work on perhaps.... :)

MYTACO

Adventurer
Paul, not sure if this response will make you happy or not. For what Seguin is selling the TC for, I think it is a deal. The leaks were fixed, and with a few modifications, it would likely be a great camper for someone with a small truck. Certainly can't beat his price--almost $16k less than a new one. I was not handy enough to keep up on all of the issues-- but for someone who is, this TC would've been a bargain.

Not sure why Seguin would be upset at me...they got a deal; like I said in an earlier post, it was practically donated to them.

For Cari...her response and the willingness to speak ill of a customer speaks volumes. As outlined throughout my posts, the company failed to own any shortcomings and always pointed a finger back. I've become callous to their remarks and all I can do is warn others from buying a NEW Phoenix. I suspect that any used Phoenix out there is in much better shape than a new one just because the owners were forced to fix things on their own. There are
some nice units--just go in smart. I trusted Cari and Rob. I thought they could produce a quality, well built product. It was not. I would caution anyone who does not do their homework--and certainly do not take the word of Rob and Cari. I don't believe I am that picky, but I did expect better craftsmanship for $28,000.00.

Regardless...Good luck on your search!

Last edited:

Paul Bunyan

Thanks

No, I would rather not buy even a used one from a company that wouldn't take care of its customers. I am very particular and I think this would have frustrated me too much. I'd rather do business elsewhere.

I read your whole post and it sounded like you had taken care of things. Even if as you stated everything was resolved though, I don't trust a camper that had that many issues originally. I'm an Engineer, I think I may look into my own design/build but for now I'll stick with my wall tent.

Thanks for the write-up again.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Funny story, I met a Phoenix owner on a road trip and as they were looking over my FP, I asked if his Phoenix leaked.... he hung his head and said yes.... I could tell it was a major issue in his ownership and let it go. Too bad, it looked nice!

longhorn1

Observer
No, I would rather not buy even a used one from a company that wouldn't take care of its customers. I am very particular and I think this would have frustrated me too much. I'd rather do business elsewhere.

I read your whole post and it sounded like you had taken care of things. Even if as you stated everything was resolved though, I don't trust a camper that had that many issues originally. I'm an Engineer, I think I may look into my own design/build but for now I'll stick with my wall tent.

Thanks for the write-up again.

Look into Four Wheel Camper (they have a dealer in Texas). On Wander the West there is a post for used FWC, but they go very fast because of their quality and reputation. We bought a new FWC Grandby in 2014 and it is everything we were expecting.

ATC is another high quality camper.

Lognhorn

srqsup

Observer
Well I must echo some of myTaco's experience. While researching manufacturers to build our new vehicle I contacted Phoenix. Our first interactions were all pleasant and responsive but quickly became defensive when asked detailed questions. When I asked for elevation drawings I was told that they just like to start and see how things fit. I explained that I wouldn't dream of getting involved in a 250k project without schematics. Rob acquiesced. What I received two days later was a hand drawn sketch that was amateurish at best and did not account for realistic space for mechanicals, etc. When we spoke with an engineer about the design, we learned there were actually MAJOR design flaws that were not accounted for in the drawings. It pays to do your homework, read everything out there and have multiple conversations with the builder. During our last conversation with Rob when we pointed out the lack of attention to detail in his drawings his response was defensive, stating "we don't do big projects and don't have fancy computers but we have to start somewhere." Well yes you do have to start somewhere, but not with our money! Rob blames the Internet for bringing to light all of the issues discussed on this thread. Rather than defend his company's approach to resolving these customer complaints with integrity, he had a certain defensiveness and surly attitude reminiscient of a 12 year old in the principals office. We quickly crossed Phoenix off our list and are going full steam ahead with GXV.

srqsup

Observer
Well I must echo some of myTaco's experience. While researching manufacturers to build our new vehicle I contacted Phoenix. Our first interactions were all pleasant and responsive but quickly became defensive when asked detailed questions. When I asked for elevation drawings I was told that they just like to start and see how things fit. I explained that I wouldn't dream of getting involved in a 250k project without schematics. Rob acquiesced. What I received two days later was a hand drawn sketch that was amateurish at best and did not account for realistic space for mechanicals, etc. When we spoke with an engineer about the design, we learned there were actually MAJOR design flaws that were not accounted for in the drawings. It pays to do your homework, read everything out there and have multiple conversations with the builder. During our last conversation with Rob when we pointed out the lack of attention to detail in his drawings his response was defensive, stating "we don't do big projects and don't have fancy computers but we have to start somewhere." Well yes you do have to start somewhere, but not with our money! Rob blames the Internet for bringing to light all of the issues discussed on this thread. Rather than defend his company's approach to resolving these customer complaints with integrity, he had a certain defensiveness and surly attitude reminiscient of a 12 year old in the principals office. We quickly crossed Phoenix off our list and are going full steam ahead with GXV.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Interesting interactions you speak of srqsup.

If it has any truth, (for which I have no reason to doubt you), all I can say is WOW.

I hope for their sake they keep tabs on these types of threads.

IMO customer service and satisfaction should be whole heartedly priority #1

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
That is unfortunate. It is definitely a different way of building things. The attitude is what really sucks though. Glad you didn't waste your money!

What I find interesting is that when someone posts about a negative experience with XPcamper, forum moderators delete a TON of posts to cover it up, rather than letting people speak their mind and share their experience like what is happening here.

Nothing to see here! :rolleyes:

Durango

Adventurer
That is unfortunate. It is definitely a different way of building things. The attitude is what really sucks though. Glad you didn't waste your money!

What I find interesting is that when someone posts about a negative experience with XPcamper, forum moderators delete a TON of posts to cover it up, rather than letting people speak their mind and share their experience like what is happening here.

Nothing to see here! :rolleyes:

X2 even though I don't have a horse in this race!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan