My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper

NikonRon

Adventurer
First negative for me would have been the color matched paint, if I paid for color matched paint you can bet it is going to match. Even if it takes an attorney to hash it out. Ron

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
Really sorry to hear about your experience. Yeah I'm the guy that posted the review after visiting + the LifeWeTravel blog.

For the hard earned cash you paid, you really should be satisfied. Total bummer.

The (ruefully) funny thing is that Marc, the owner of XP Camper, started XP after having bought a Phoenix and having water issues himself! So at least there's one good thing to come from Phoenix: a competitor.

All I can say is "go to Marc's shop before you spend any $$$." That's what my wife and I did, and the differences are staggering. Literally in a different league. Here is what one person said after visiting: http://forum.xpcamper.org/index.php/topic/93-why-i-choose-xpcamper/#entry660

Good luck!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That's about the weight I am planning on with my soon to be delivered Granby. Between the options I've chosen, water and some gear, that seems pretty nice. It will be sitting on a F250 7.3L long bed. What does your NorthStar weigh?

Light? You bet it is! My Caribou hard side is 3,300 dry.
My Northstar wet is 1850#.

Ramblinman

Observer
The thing about custom campers ....

My 2 cents ... When camper companies cater, completely to the customer ( I want this , I want that, at any expense) They can't really get any thing right. Not that it applies to this situation, leaking and paint problems are unacceptable.

After reading this post, I completely understand why a company like FWC limits the amount of custom work they do so they can maintain quality. They can apply the lessons they have learned over the years to produce a truly quality product.

To the OP, I became obsessive about a pop up TC after returning home from the sandbox. (Something about that place made me appreciate the simple things) I decided to fore go fancy-for quality and dependability I think that's what made the vehicle we drove in the sandbox dependable (for the most part ;). The more gadgets we put on our camper the more headaches can occur. The boys at ATC painted me a picture in this regard.

After, a kerbillion hours of research and visiting FWC/ATC factories, they were clear on what worked and what did not. FWC pointed out that that aluminum siding while not aesthetically pleasing to some but it was durable and easy to repair. Little tid bits like this in my view were invaluable because I take my TC off the beaten path.

I feel awful about your experience with Pheonix .... I know that you being a soldier, you will pick yourself up, dust yourself off, And carry on. Thank you so much for your post, I have taken a lot from it. More importantly, thanks for you're service.

Hope to run in to you on the road!

escadventure

Adventurer
I'll be pulling the trigger on a po up camper in the next few months. i almost had myself talked into a Phoenix. You just talked me out of it.
Thanks for your honest and detailed post.

MYTACO

Adventurer
My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper Part VII Some other photos

I want to clear the air about the purchase. First, a pop up really suits our traveling needs. Again, I am not complaining about the size. I love the Tacoma, and that's why I wanted something to work with that vehicle. I am also originally from Nebraska…hence my affinity for red.

I did receive an email from Rob since starting this thread. I replied. I will let you all know the outcome, but in short, my review has his attention and apparent willingness to make it right. Just not sure how to work out the logistics of getting it back to Colorado.

So back to the pictures… I wanted to attach a couple of the roof. As I stated earlier, I added on the rack and solar panel. I like the solar panel, and did purchase a Thule Summit for the rack. Because of the dimensions, it's a little tricky because of the location of the vents. Also, the "rack" consists of square tubbing, similar to that used throughout the camper. Unfortunately, it's not as amenable to securing racks like an authentic Thule or Yakima.

With the top open and closed, I also took pictures of the front of the camper where the "leak" occurs. As you can see the lip does not contain a "seal" and I am contemplating putting a rubber door seal on it. After I closed it, I noticed that it bows in the front…which may also be part of the problem. I am hoping that if it's rubberized, this might help.
IMG_0792.jpgIMG_0791.jpgIMG_0794.jpgIMG_0788.jpg

MYTACO

Adventurer
My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper Part VIII Some other photos

Ok, so when I was researching this purchase, I combed through the internet and looked for all photos that I could find.

So here are some more. Back up camera, outdoor outlets cable and electric, outdoor storage, outdoor shower (see my recommendation about moving or omitting this feature), and the sponge things installed by Rob to keep the camper from rubbing on my camper. I have since learned that there are actual rubber bumpers for this. In the next post, I'll add some indoor photos. IMG_0753.jpgIMG_0755.jpgIMG_0789.jpgIMG_0761.jpgIMG_0752.jpgIMG_0754.jpgIMG_0758.jpgIMG_0762.jpgIMG_0786.jpgIMG_0787.jpg

MYTACO

Adventurer
Forgot to mention, the door stop and the plug for my boat when I tow it. The other hook up next to the 8 way plug is actually the area where you release the gray water. I attach a hose to get it away from the camper.

MYTACO

Adventurer
My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper Part IX Some other photos

In door photos…

One is of the "shelf" I bought from Camping World. Didn't turn out really good, but really works well.

Other photos are cabinets and storage areas. The battery compartment also allows a view to the fresh water tank.

Underneath the commode is the valve to release the gray water.

In the rear storage cabinet, there is a second electrical outlet that powers the AC. Note the AC is fitted with the square tubes like those on the roof.

Also attached the back up camera attached to license plate. Hope to make a better modification of this soon. IMG_0771.jpgIMG_0775.jpgIMG_0781.jpgIMG_0773.jpgIMG_0772.jpgIMG_0784.jpgIMG_0782.jpgIMG_0778.jpgIMG_0785.jpgIMG_0756.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
This the worst camper I have seen, Cabinets put together with cheap corner brackets, the A/C install is=like some 5 year old kid put up, the worst workmanship for a camper manufacturer. Green drain hose should be PVC. Is that a 12V-110V 3000watt converter near the water green drain hose?? that Fire extinguisher is real rear of head banger. No strap for the LP Tank. will not pass inspection. Who puts a water fill 6ft up on the side above the LP compartment???
thanks for your info. BTW: I do not see an RVIA seal. RVIA is a national association representing RV manufacturers and parts suppliers who together produce more than 95% of all RVs manufactured in the United States. Which certified the Plumbing ,Electrical, HVAC, ect ( see posting on "tips on buying a camper" for more info)
brian

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
I didn't catch the propane tank thing. What is that across the front of the tank, almost looks like some sort of tank retention method.

The more I look at this camper, the more I feel sorry for the new owner. Bugs me even more because he's a veteran that put his life on the line to save the $$$ to buy the damn thing. I'd sure like to see someone from Phoenix chime in and promise to make good on the issues.

I've had several campers/trailers/RV's over the years. I know that manufacturers (even high end), generally speaking, cut every corner that can be cut to save a dime. I'd like to think that a company making "custom" campers in a niche market would have a little more pride in their workmanship.

Ovrland

Adventurer
The shi**y attention to detail, a paint job that looks like it was put on with a garden hose, items that are paid for but not delivered...how can a company compete in today's market with this kind of work? He did not dicker with the prices, he did not ask them to do something beyond their scope of ability...in fact the options are their offerings, so why the shotty work?

I suppose the owners are lucky I did not purchase this unit because it would be sitting on their desk right now!

This is totally unacceptable, this gentleman transcended himself from the litter box to scenic America for 12 months!!!

The best part is, he's not here complaining, he's pointing out quality control (a true soldier). To the manufacturer, redeem yourself...make it right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olsen_karl

Adventurer
This the worst camper I have seen, Cabinets put together with cheap corner brackets, the A/C install is=like some 5 year old kid put up, the worst workmanship for a camper manufactory. Green drain hose should be PVC. Is that a 12V-110V 3000watt converter near the water green drain hose?? that Fire extinguisher is real rear of head banger. No strap for the LP Tank. will not pass inspection.
thanks for your info. BTW: I do not see an RVIA seal. RVIA is a national association representing RV manufacturers and parts suppliers who together produce more than 95% of all RVs manufactured in the United States. Which certified the Plumbing ,Electrical, HVAC, ect
brian

Not going to try to defend any of the rest of the workmanship visible in the photos (note the cut-outs in the cabinet walls etc. look like they were free-handed with a jigsaw), but I think the green flex hose is fairly common for a sink drain in RVs. It's in my Northstar, and was like that in a Fleetwood pop-up trailer I used to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior