My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Not going to try to defend any of the rest of the workmanship visible in the photos (note the cut-outs in the cabinet walls etc. look like they were free-handed with a jigsaw), but I think the green flex hose is fairly common for a sink drain in RVs. It's in my Northstar, and was like that in a Fleetwood pop-up trailer I used to have.
It's not in my FWC.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Not going to try to defend any of the rest of the workmanship visible in the photos (note the cut-outs in the cabinet walls etc. look like they were free-handed with a jigsaw), but I think the green flex hose is fairly common for a sink drain in RVs. It's in my Northstar, and was like that in a Fleetwood pop-up trailer I used to have.
No grey water tank in your Northstar?

olsen_karl

Adventurer
No grey water tank in your Northstar?

No grey tank -- just a garden hose threaded outlet on the exterior, which drains straight to the ground on the side of the truck (located a couple inches forward of the outside shower compartment door). I usually attach a short length of hose to the grey water outlet, and drain it off into the bushes.

DanoT

Observer
I have a 2011 Phoenix camper that had a few minor issues.

A leaky water tank was due to Rob using a factory second that had air bubbles in the wall that been repaired with silicone. The repaired spots did not leak but some other weak spot air bubbles eventually let go causing the leak. Rob shipped me a new tank and installation was easy.

I also had the door hand rail pull out of the wall when i slipped on the steps. It was just screwed into the wall panelling. It was easy enough to reattach it by bolting it through the wall.

The glue/sealant used for the plastic moulding was poor quality and I had to re-glue most of it.

Overall I am happy with the price I paid as it was comparable to FWC but I got custom but not luxury features that i wanted but that FWC or ATC couldn't provide, including 2" of insulation throughout, 2 20lb. propane tanks, storage compartment for a Honda 2000 generator and a floor plan of my choosing.

My roof doesn't leak in spite of harsh ski area parking lot use and neither should the OPs. Rob and his company need to step up and replace the leaky roof.

MYTACO

Adventurer
My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper Part X The Response Part 1

I had previously included the email from Rob, but was asked to remove it. I've edited to paraphrase the email.

Things are looking good, but I had some follow up questions to this response.

In short, he indicated that one of his friends tripped over my thread, and claimed that he was completely unaware of issues related to my camper. He said that he was "deeply moved" by my honest report and experience with Phoenix. He said he felt bad, but stated that they do very extensive testing and inspection process on every unit before it is installed for a customer. He said that after reading my posts he realized that there were a number of issues that needed to be resolved.

Rob stated that he was willing to go above and beyond to resolve those issues. In sum, he offered to:

1. Re-paint the camper to better match my truck.

2. Replace my pop up liner.

3. Re-seal the TC roof and body.

4. Add a solar vent.

4. Reface the cabinet wood face color.

5. Redo the upholstery.

He then asked me to get in touch with him to work out the solutions.

Last edited:

MYTACO

Adventurer
My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper Part X The Response Part 2 and 3

Like the above, I have been asked to remove Rob's email to me regarding the TC issues from this thread. I have taken out the emails from him--and paraphrased his responses.

I had previously sent him an email and he responded in my text in a different color. Since I am not permitted to print his responses, I will paraphrase his responses below.

Above the text, he offered to upgrade to a double insulated liner--however, I already had this. He informed me that it would help keep the camper warm in the winter and cooler with the AC. This was to be considered as a "favor" done by him.

He gave me a few dates to work with, and then told me he would need the TC for a two week minimum.

My email to him is below:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: follow up and solutions
Date: Sat, December 14, 2013 6:46 pm
To:

Rob,

I'm not sure what to say about your email. I had been emailing regarding all of the issues, and it seemed that there was little interest in helping me rectify the problems. I am hoping that bad publicity isn't the only reason you are just now trying to fix the situation. With that being said, I am still willing to move forward. (HIS RESPONSE WAS, TO PARAPHRASE, THAT HE WANTED TO MAKE SURE I WAS A HAPPY CUSTOMER.)

First, we still like the pop up camper concept a lot. It certainly fits our needs. I wish I had known a lot more about our purchase and options last year. I guess that is why I relied upon your expertise quite a bit--and was later shocked by some of the email responses from you or Cari. (HIS RESPONSE WAS TO APOLOGIZE, BUT STATED THAT HE ASSUMED SINCE HE HAD NOT HEARD BACK FROM US THAT EVERYTHING WAS OK.)

We are convinced it is a leak, not just condensation. The last trip, we were stuck in the camper for four days with an electric heater in mid-20s weather. I expected condensation--and we could see it. On all of the other trips this was not noticeable, so not sure how it could have caused such bad stains. On a side note, the stains are only on the front part of the liner and ceiling over the bed--not the sides or rear of the camper. I've been able to clean it up per your email instructions using Tilex, but there is definitely long term staining on both the liner and ceiling that will not come off. Would the solar fan over this area work to help this? I think a rubber seal of sorts is also necessary. (HERE HE INDICATED THAT THE SOLAR VENT WOULD DECREASE CONDENSATION, AN THAT THE NEW LINER AND RETESTS FOR LEAKS SHOULD RESOLVE THIS ISSUE.)

While I appreciate the liner change out, what about the ceiling? How do I get the yellowing off of that? The Tilex did nothing in this area. (HERE, HE RESPONDED THAT HE WOULD "RE-WHITE" THE CEILING.)

I have the three square cushions I would like matched--and if possible, the shower curtain. (HE AGREED TO THIS REQUEST.)

The offer for the paint would be great. I get a lot of compliments about the camper--but this is the first thing everyone points out. "Too bad they couldn't match the paint." (ROB INDICATED THAT HE HAD A NEW PAINTER AND ASKED TO KEEP THE GAS CAP TO ACHIEVE A BETTER MATCH.)

The Wave 3 heater does not work. Like the fan, I did not get any paperwork for this…and looked on line for the brochure. From what I can tell, the thermocoupler is not working to where it continues to feed the gas. (AS TYPICAL TO THER EMAILS, HE GAVE ME A LINK TO THE DIGITAL VERSION OF THE OWNER'S MANUAL. HE ALSO OFFERED TO INSTALL A LARGER WAVE 6 HEATER IF THERE IS ROOM FOR IT.)

With regard to the cabinetry, is replacing it going to cause damage to other areas of the camper?
We are worried about additional damage as the wood isn't incredibly sturdy. (ROB ASSURED ME THAT THE REFACING IS DONE VERY CAREFULLY AND THAT THERE IS NO GOOD REASON THAT IT WOULD DAMAGE OTHER PARTS OF THE CAMPER.)

I've already replaced/repaired some wood in the battery area as it had warped really bad. Not sure why. I didn't add this to the review because I was able to fix it myself.

How long would you need the camper? I had not planned in a trip to Colorado for 2014. I just looked into shipping it there, but it's over $700 each way. Plane tickets and gas would be about the same.

Last edited:

MYTACO

Adventurer
My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper Part X The Response Moving Forward!

We are moving forward…something I honestly did not expect or seek following my review. :)

So I have an email out to Rob to see if we can leave it in Colorado in February. I plan on leaving the truck and camper--flying back and forth. It's going to cost me some more money, but I am optimistic that our camper will finally be to standard. The goal is to have it ready for trips in March!

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this posting. It has me thinking about other options for the future.

I will update this posting as more information comes in!

Kowboy

Adventurer
So new cabinets, cushions, liner, ceiling, paint, furnace, rubber seals, ...

Wow. :Wow1:

With time, gas, and plane tickets, hope you're not just throwin' good money after bad. I'd definitely put it on the market for sale between now and February just to see if ya get any bites. Sometimes cuttin' your losses is another way to win.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing your experience! I hope you get your problems fixed so you can hit the road and explore! I like your truck!
-AK

brian90744

American Trekker
Poor Quality

In the past. A customer complaint about poor workmanship or product quality issues may not have been addressed or just blown off as that's normal. The old way: live with it, and tell others. Today, now people can go online to share with hundreds of like minded individuals.
And the Product slows or dies. May be this camper mfr should just make a new unit and fix all the problems, like the poor location of the shower, the water tank fill to a lower location, plus other quality issue you have. Then Call you to pick up the new unit on a your mini vacation.
Just my thought.

As a jester of goodwill They could build the replacement unit and delivery it to your home and exchange it , No more cost to you.

I now know what brand of camper I'm not going to buy. Thanks, Ron.

Last edited:

WASURF63

Adventurer
brian90744 Quote: "May be this camper mfr should just make a new unit and fix all the problems, like the poor location of the shower, the water tank fill to a lower location, plus other quality issue you have. Then Call you to pick up the new unit on a your mini vacation.
Just my thought.

As a jester of goodwill They could build the replacement unit and delivery it to your home and exchange it , No more cost to you."

>>>Not only would this be the "right thing" for Phoenix to do for the OP, this would save face for the manufacturer and might gain more respect in this community than anything else. Rob and Cari are nice people, and I would think this would be something they might strive to accomplish?
Unfortunately for me I experienced many similar problems with my 2012 Phoenix Pop-Up.
I fixed all the problems and upgraded the weak points myself, then cut my losses, and sold the unit at a huge discount.
I couldn't see spending more time, money, and travel back to Denver, CO to put band-aids on a diseased camper.
You should never have to do numerous repairs to a "new" camper, just to make it bearable...:smilies27

MYTACO

Adventurer
brian90744 Quote: "May be this camper mfr should just make a new unit and fix all the problems, like the poor location of the shower, the water tank fill to a lower location, plus other quality issue you have. Then Call you to pick up the new unit on a your mini vacation.
Just my thought.

As a jester of goodwill They could build the replacement unit and delivery it to your home and exchange it , No more cost to you."

>>>Not only would this be the "right thing" for Phoenix to do for the OP, this would save face for the manufacturer and might gain more respect in this community than anything else. Rob and Cari are nice people, and I would think this would be something they might strive to accomplish?
Unfortunately for me I experienced many similar problems with my 2012 Phoenix Pop-Up.
I fixed all the problems and upgraded the weak points myself, then cut my losses, and sold the unit at a huge discount.
I couldn't see spending more time, money, and travel back to Denver, CO to put band-aids on a diseased camper.
You should never have to do numerous repairs to a "new" camper, just to make it bearable...:smilies27

I am hoping that it is more than bearable....it has been my dream to travel in my own country. I don't want to start from scratch again, and am truly hoping that he keeps his word on this. I figure I will add another $1k for this trip, but plan to use this TC until I buy the class B. I already knew I spent more money than it would resell for, so that's not as big of a deal for me. Rob keeping his word is a big deal.

Did you have the Elvis camper?

WASURF63

Adventurer
Did you have the Elvis camper?
No. This one...

Attachments

• PE6 100_5083.JPG
    PE6 100_5083.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 64
  • PE7 100_5123.JPG
    PE7 100_5123.JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 65