My Wandering Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have discussed in depth the tow bar, towing, etc with the Trailer place. They agree its not the most adequate means, but they didn't see an issue with the set up.

Explorer
I don't see this ending up well. No offence to the OP but he is all over the place mentally and this whole thing just seems poorly thought out. The vehicle doesn't seem fit to take a cross town trip in much less cross country. It's inevitably going to die on this trip and he has no ability or money to fix it.

Phil's mind is sound, in fact he has a great mentality. Sometimes the mind has to be all over the place to find an answer.

We are fortunate to have a tight group that is willing to share adventures and emotions. Some passerby's might get freaked out or pass judgement, but most of us try to use our emotions and past adventures to help the next.

Its usually the consensus that most people are held back by fear and the possibility of failure. Those that have overcome the fear have tasted a new fruit and want to share it with others.

I agree that your logic is sound from inside the box, but adventures occur outside the box and a different logic applies.

Stay tuned to witness crazy thoughts turn into magic, and your own logic turn into a crazy thought.

Sawyer

Adventurer
I had planned this trip to be a soul searching adventure and a means to acquire useful skills.

While it might be hard to see right now, When you look back at the end of this.... I am pretty confident you will have done just that.

Don't let the problems that are raising their ugly head get you down. Be sure to focus on the positive events that are unfolding before you and the people making themselves available to you and your adventure. There is something really special and amazing happening here! I cant imagine a better soul searching adventure than finding the help of complete strangers in hard times. Best wishes with your adventure!

Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

Terrainist

Explorer
Try that tow bar out at speed before your departure. Sometimes the geometry on a bar is a little off, makes things get crazy. Have a good trip.

bigwebb83

Phil's mind is sound, in fact he has a great mentality. Sometimes the mind has to be all over the place to find an answer.

We are fortunate to have a tight group that is willing to share adventures and emotions. Some passerby's might get freaked out or pass judgement, but most of us try to use our emotions and past adventures to help the next.

Its usually the consensus that most people are held back by fear and the possibility of failure. Those that have overcome the fear have tasted a new fruit and want to share it with others.

I agree that your logic is sound from inside the box, but adventures occur outside the box and a different logic applies.

Stay tuned to witness crazy thoughts turn into magic, and your own logic turn into a crazy thought.

I knew I would get flamed for this comment but I still stand by it. When I look at the trip report from Frederik and his wife through the congo I see this exemplified. I don't in this case though. This isn't a deal where there's a possibility of failure. The guy has no money and a truck thats on it's last leg that he's trying to drive/pull/push accross country. At some point a failure is going to occur and he's going to be in a mess. I'm not bashing him for taking a chance and heading somewhere new for a job opportunity. I just think he's at a serious turning point in his life where he's obviously trying to turn a new leaf and get things together. I think the whole idea of making an adventure out of it while it may seem grand is short sited and will just cause more stress and problems for someone who clearly doesn't need it.

Everyone can think what they want. Consider me an idiot, but I know what I needed when I first started this adventure and I stand by my decision. There is only one person in my life who knows everything that has happened and that is my wife. No one will get that personal with me and I will not talk about everything in a forum. There is a reason for this and when you don't know everything please don't question my mental state.

All I wanted to do was share my experience on this new journey. I never asked for help nor did I really want it. I wanted to prove myself to my family, friends, and detractors. I still plan to do and make right with everyone who has helped me.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I said I would leave it at that but I won't.

A couple decades ago I was in a similar mindset to Streakerfreak and on a lark sold everything, paid down my credit card and spent the summer volunteering at a kids camp. After hunting season I had nothing better to do so I took the few dollars I had and bought a $700 Land Cruiser and drove it across the US from Ontario to BC. It was in remarkably bad shape and I had to make repairs on the side of the road in Montana that would have made MacGyver proud. I was probably the last vehicle across Highway-to-the-Sun that year in a rig whose brake pads were held in with some framing nails. All the troubles were no trouble at all. It was an adventure and it defined the next period of my life. I learned to drive slower and see more. I lost my fear of one-toothed strangers in small wild west towns and actually found that I preferred them to the polished city types who live anonymously and without accountability. Most of all I found that an beat up Toyota that I could sleep in allowed me to take in more country on less money than any other means of travel.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if that old truck breaks down it won't ruin Streaker's life. If he has to leave it somewhere and walk, so be it. I'd be surprised if it was anyplace that someone on this forum didn't have a cousin with a couch. Hitchhiking with a dog might actually be easier than without.

roamingaz

Explorer
Hey Phil, I just found this thread and at first I thought your idea to drive across the country in a broken truck with no money was not your brigthest idea, then I thought back about 15 years ago I did the exact same thing.
When I was 20 I needed a change in life so I sold some stuff, quit my crappy job and loaded up my 1961 Ford truck and headed to Texas for a seasonal job at a farm I had been told about by a friend. My truck broke down a bunch along the way but I eventualy made it and did find some work once I got there. I ended up selling that old truck and taking a bus back to Arizona but the adventure I had was the change I needed to move on with my life.
I admire your spirit, keep moving forward and enjoy your adventure.
I'll see you at overland expo!

This isn't a deal where there's a possibility of failure. The guy has no money and a truck thats on it's last leg that he's trying to drive/pull/push accross country. At some point a failure is going to occur and he's going to be in a mess. I'm not bashing him for taking a chance and heading somewhere new for a job opportunity. I just think he's at a serious turning point in his life where he's obviously trying to turn a new leaf and get things together. I think the whole idea of making an adventure out of it while it may seem grand is short sited and will just cause more stress and problems for someone who clearly doesn't need it.

Everyone can think what they want. Consider me an idiot, but I know what I needed when I first started this adventure and I stand by my decision. There is only one person in my life who knows everything that has happened and that is my wife. No one will get that personal with me and I will not talk about everything in a forum. There is a reason for this and when you don't know everything please don't question my mental state.

In the Mental Health Treatment field we call that resilience and I have seen several examples of this over the past 20 years in the lives of others that I have been blessed to work with. I posted a snippet of my own experience on a 650 mile journey to the next chapter of my life in this same trip report. I think if we all look back we can find that we have been through similar trials that have made us stronger and in the process helped us rediscover ourselves.

Phil has a lot of support on this forum as I am sure that he has as much if not more support in his personal life. If he or any of us listened to the naysayers we never would have experienced the journeys we have been on in our lives.

Keep your chin up Phil, and if you are passing through Western CO shoot me an email so I can put you up for the night or give a hot meal on your travels.

Kevin

Lichen

Explorer
I don't see this ending up well. No offence to the OP but he is all over the place mentally and this whole thing just seems poorly thought out. The vehicle doesn't seem fit to take a cross town trip in much less cross country. It's inevitably going to die on this trip and he has no ability or money to fix it.

At first glance, this makes sense. But what has transpired since, this may be the greatest adventure of your life. God bless YukonPhil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears