NC to OR on the TAT in my 4Runner

SirWilliamGoes

Adventurer
I would like to find someone that could help me take the pics I choose from my trip and put them into a slideshow with the music I have chosen in the background. If anyone can help please let me know!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RND1

Observer
Enjoyed reading along your journey sirwilly! What did you think of the HD Breakout? What HD are you going to get when you trade in the T4R? I'm trying to decide between the Street Glide Special and the Breakout. And yes, please do a thread on bike week!

SirWilliamGoes

Adventurer
Enjoyed reading along your journey sirwilly! What did you think of the HD Breakout? What HD are you going to get when you trade in the T4R? I'm trying to decide between the Street Glide Special and the Breakout. And yes, please do a thread on bike week!
I have a HD Road Glide that I own. The breakout is OK for very short distance but it beat the hell out of me in long distance. I had a street glide and between the two it's a toss up both ride about the same. Don't get the breakout!!! I will keep this thread going with BikeWeek!! If I remember!!!

RND1

Observer
I have a HD Road Glide that I own. The breakout is OK for very short distance but it beat the hell out of me in long distance. I had a street glide and between the two it's a toss up both ride about the same. Don't get the breakout!!! I will keep this thread going with BikeWeek!! If I remember!!!

Thanks sirwilly. I love that wide rear end on the breakout, but I also love the Rushmore touring bikes. I've ridden both RG and SG and prefer the room on the RG, but like the fairing and dash layout better on the SG. Do you fit better on the RG vs SG? I know they are the same frame, but the RG feels roomier to me. I'm 6'1" and I wish the SG floorboards were about 3" forward.

SirWilliamGoes

Adventurer
Thanks sirwilly. I love that wide rear end on the breakout, but I also love the Rushmore touring bikes. I've ridden both RG and SG and prefer the room on the RG, but like the fairing and dash layout better on the SG. Do you fit better on the RG vs SG? I know they are the same frame, but the RG feels roomier to me. I'm 6'1" and I wish the SG floorboards were about 3" forward.
I wish they were a little forward too. I like the room on the rg as far as storage however the windshield doesn't break enough so I have to upgrade it and once I have my helmet on its tough to hear the radio vs on the sg I could hear it fine. Also the sun sometimes glares bad off the screen

SirWilliamGoes

Adventurer
The Dos the don't, the must brings and the wish I had!

I've been trying to figure out the best way to start this thread. So let me start by saying this, I would not change anything about the experiences that I had for I'm extremely thankful and blessed that I was able to have them, rather than saying or listing the things that I wish I would have had or places I would have gone I'm simply going to list the things I would like to have and do for next time!

Things to bring.
Everything that I brought I used at least one time. I really don't have a list so to speak however I do have a video on my YouTube channel and I can name a few items that stick out.
Shovel. Next time I will bring a full size
Chainsaw
Mini Ax /hatchet that doubled as a hammer
Light sleeping bag
Heavy sleeping bag
Mini car plugin Cooler. I would have been better with a good cooler rather than this.
Various canned foods of my liking. I always like to ensure I had at least 6meals in the truck.
Knife's pocket and kitchen
Spare rope small to be used on various things
LED Lantern was my best friend at night
Coleman fuel lantern next time I will opt for propane for ease
Folding table. Next time I will go smaller more compact
Coleman self inflatiing sleep pad. Loved it
Coleman 2burner stove. Loved it
5$ solar shower from academy worked fine until I closed the nozzle in the door and broke it.
Magellan coffee perculator worked great
Magellan 1 person mess kit worked great
Real metal camping silver ware on a rope worked great
Action sports box/container from sportsman warehouse worked great. I would add one maybe two of these. It even kept stuff dry when I had it on the roof.
Yakima's roof basket thing. Pain in my *** to get to, partially due to injuries and no latter
Ares cross bars. Broke along the way causing me to loose the basket.
Ledge 4 person tent. Broke after 3or4 uses. Sportsman warehouse was kind enough to let me exchange it with no receipt.
Coleman sundome 4 person tent. Great tent well built and very quick and easy to set up
Nitto Terra Grappler. Punctured them 5 times and have an awful amount of wear after only 12k miles.

Mods I would like to make before next trip
Roof Rack system - Gobi, Baja or similar with ladder
Some kind of slide out organization for rear to allow for full time bedding set up to make stelth camping easy.
Same system for kitchen style design for cooking off the truck
Rear bumper with better angle and lighting.
Spare tire swing out
Fluid containers that lock together and mount I think called rototrac or something
Max trax or similar
Front bumper with winch
Winch
Winch
I would also bring a winch!!!!
BF Goodrich all terrain tires
On board air
Roof Top tent
ICON mid travel setup to lift the 4runner up about 2 to 3 in and ride good over rough terrain
Extra storage stuff I.e. overland gear seat compartments or visor deal or both
Net for roof inside to sick shoes!
Good phone mount. Ram mount or equivalent

I'm sure I'm missing alot but that's what I can think of as of now and I'm sure I will come up with more. Again I wouldn't change my trip at all but can't wait to do it again and I promise it won't take 4yrs like last time!!!

I have been asked numerous time about budget. I did not meticulously track the money spent also I wasted alot on big bar tabs bs like cross rails that broke while installing hotels because I was hurting from injuries and eating out alot. I could have been super tight and spent less and on the flip side I didn't buy anything really as far as souvenirs or stuff like that. I have not taken a calculator for an exact number but based on my accts and credit cards I would say a safe bet is 4-5k for total trip for everything. Doing it again I will have the same 5k budget and will spend wiser!!! Stay tuned for mods on the runner and another trip. I plan to make mini trips too and with the dogs of course

Doorknobdog

Could the trail be done in 3/4 ton crew cab truck? I have been looking for a land cruiser or something similar, but it's been hard to find a clean one. I am now considering just using my truck(Dodge 2500 Cummins). Would it be way too big? Also was diesel fuel available at most of the towns you passed through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan