Need input on battery charger

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I may not have been clear, but in my statement I was referring to 2 12V batteries wired in series connected to the Charger's Bank #1 leads
Ah. Yea. I just re-parsed your statement and now I see you were talking about one set of leads. I take back everything nasty I've said about you over the years. :) (well...most of it anyway...)

patoz

Expedition Leader
http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/iq4spec.pdf

"The Equalization Stage will cycle the battery through the Bulk and Absorption Stages before returning the battery to the Float Stage."

(Page 2, right side just below the voltage table.)

Well, alrighty then! I guess because it's not actually sending the higher 15.5 Voltage to the battery, it's not completely removing the Sulfate off of the plates.

Ah. Yea. I just re-parsed your statement and now I see you were talking about one set of leads. I take back everything nasty I've said about you over the years. (well...most of it anyway...)

Come on now, don't take all of it. After all, I do have a reputation to live up to! :agree:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Painful Pedantics

The following is from Mr. Frederick B. Cook (US Ambassador, Retired), who has been all over the world in an Overland Expedition Vehicle called Ndeka Luka (Sango for “Freebird”).

https://cookfb.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/electrical-power-for-the-overland-camper-the-problem.pdf

http://lifelineb.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/manual.pdf

Ndeke Luka has not, in fact, left the US. Was supposed to have happened this year, but the best laid plans … are now set back to next year. I do have a lot of miles in a lot of places and a lot of failed attempts to set up camper batteries. I am flattered to be quoted and believe the information that I have posted to be correct. (It has been proposed to me that I should add two more hours to the absorb stage.)

patoz

Expedition Leader

Ndeke Luka has not, in fact, left the US. Was supposed to have happened this year, but the best laid plans … are now set back to next year. I do have a lot of miles in a lot of places and a lot of failed attempts to set up camper batteries. I am flattered to be quoted and believe the information that I have posted to be correct. (It has been proposed to me that I should add two more hours to the absorb stage.)

Sorry Sir, for the misunderstanding on my part. I have read most of what is on your website, but it was very late at night and my head was probably a little fuzzy! I was probably thinking of the places you were stationed during your career.

In addition to quoting you, I was also referencing the Lifeline Tech Manual, which I have found to be very useful. I do like the technical articles you have written, because they are very clear and easy to understand.

Thank you for all you have done...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Well, alrighty then! I guess because it's not actually sending the higher 15.5 Voltage to the battery, it's not completely removing the Sulfate off of the plates.

Well, EQ is not really a desulfation thing. It's mostly to stir up the electrolyte to eliminate stratification. though I suppose it might knock a few chunks off the plates. Proper desulfation requires an electrical frequency vibrating action* combined with pulsing.

*[Some manufacturers claim high freq is the ticket, others claim low. I think Battery MINDer uses a method that runs the gamut from high to low and back again.]

patoz

Expedition Leader
Well, EQ is not really a desulfation thing. It's mostly to stir up the electrolyte to eliminate stratification. though I suppose it might knock a few chunks off the plates. Proper desulfation requires an electrical frequency vibrating action* combined with pulsing.

*[Some manufacturers claim high freq is the ticket, others claim low. I think Battery MINDer uses a method that runs the gamut from high to low and back again.]

So I guess the ticket is then, just don't let the batteries sit in even a slightly discharged state. You won't need to correct the problem if you don't create the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman