Need some recovery gear. Help please.

BBQ BOY

I hate to admit this, but, I have been wheeling for years without any recovery gear. The only tow strap I had is now owned by the John Deere tractor and don't think it would be safe to use it. So, what do I need and what can I get away with? Let me know what size of everything I may need. I want quality stuff in hopes to ensure a little more safety.
What I am thinking I am needing for my 100 is:
snatch block
Kinetic recovery/tow strap(are these the same thing)
Heavy duty leather gloves
tree saver
shackles. There will be two on the rear bumper and maybe two under the front bumper.
Hi-lift(what size? i may opt for the 48")

I was going to just opt for this kit, which is cheaper than if you tried to piece together the same items from their site.
http://www.vikingoffroad.com/product...overy-Kit.html

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The link comes up 404 not found.
I think you are on the right track. The snatch block will do nothing for you without a cable to run through it. A couple good recovery straps and shackles are a good place to start, Keep those with you all the time. Static straps don't stretch like kinetic "stretch and pull" straps. I prefer the static since I have a winch, but both have their advantages.
The Highlift is a good choice. Mine has taken up permanent residence in the garage since moving to an exhaust jack.
Think about a good shovel and some blocking or bridging material. Gear this toward your terrain. Gloves and a good light will be very helpful too.
The best recovery tool you may have is the friendships with those who will help you out. Make some local friends who enjoy the hobby.

BBQ BOY

Thanks. I forgot to mention, I have a winch with synthetic rope. I'm guessing the winch rope won't work with a snatch block?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I forgot to mention, I have a winch with synthetic rope. I'm guessing the winch rope won't work with a snatch block?
It may. Mine does. Just make sure the rope fits the sheave properly and you don't pinch it in the sides.
I'd say you have your selections right in line.
I carry a bag with two straps, two shackles and a snatch block. The other box has the winch remote cable, quick connect booster cables and a small tarp. I don't carry the big "tree saver" strap very often. I toss it in if we head out where the trees are.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Syn rope will work just fine with a snatch block. You just need to watch the rope to make sure it is not on trees or rocks.

I have wheeled for years and this has covered me plenty fine.

-gloves. Just a regular mechanic pair of gloves.
-tow strap 20'
-tree saver
-snatch block
-4 d-rings (1 regular, 2 from the rear bumper, 1 large 1 that makes rigging a tree save as snatch block easy)

I have a cheap little fold up shovel that stays in the Jeep but never used it. Never needed a high lift jack and the only use I have ever seen is the handle to sleeve a bent tie rod. Things might be different in sand but this is east coast wheeling I speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: This is all pretty self explanatory--the longer you off-road, the more/less you'll pack-

The snatch block can be a life saver, changeof direction/strength--get a real shovel and learn the difference between a "SNATCH STRAP" and a "TOW STRAP"-

039.jpg

I have mobile winchs and a 30,000lb "snatch strap", plus too many accessories to list-
Uses of D-rings and chains/hooks are for special cases-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

fishEH

Explorer
My Kit:
1"x30' MasterPull Super Yanker rope, I use this almost exclusively now.
2"x30' Tow Strap, almost never gets used anymore but makes a good winchline extension.
Tree Saver
Snatch Block
3/4" shackles, 7 I think
48" Hi-Lift
Winch with synthetic line

Chris2000XJ

I'd add winch extensions, while $$$ are worth it IMO. Or make an extension out of your old rope when you replace it. My buddy gave me his old synthetic line cuz it broke and I was able to make an 80 foot extension out of it for free.

I've been in situations where I couldn't reach a tree and ended up forced to use my super yanker as an extension and having that extra 80ft woulda been real nice.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Kinetic recovery/tow strap(are these the same thing?).........

No, they are different.

A Kinetic rope, or 'snatch strap', has a give to it, they will stretch up to (I believe) 30% of there length, and use the kenetic energy to help yank a vehicle out of the mud or snow.

A 'Tow Strap' has no give, and will not stretch.

Good for towing, tree saver, hold back for an anchor vehicle, etc.

I carry the following:

48" Hi-Lift
20' Masterpull 'Super Yanker' kenetic strap
10' Masterpull 'Super Yanker' tree saver
20' tow strap w/loops (DON'T use the cheap ropes with hooks on the ends! Use one with loops, and a clevis/shackle)
4' tree saver strap
12' 3/8" Grade 70 chain
Masterpull Snatch block
WARN 9K HS winch w/80' of Masterpull Superline XD synthetic rope
50' Masterpull winch extension
6 clevis (4 on bumpers, 2 in bag)
Short "D" handle shovel
Axe
Chainsaw
Leather gloves
weight bag for winch rope

Always good to be prepared.

And as Jimbo mentioned, you will figure out what works for you, your area, and your type of wheeling/adventure's that you do, and adjust your gear accordingly.

ie: In two weeks, I'll be going on a grouse hunting/fishing trip, running a lot of logging roads and unmaintained FS roads, so I'll be bringing my chainsaw with.

When I go out to Moab, or areas with few trees, I leave the chainsaw at home.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Buy 2 D ring shackles. One 3"x30' tow strap. That'll handle 99% of your recovery requirements (assuming you have good recovery recovery points on your rig). 4x4connection is where I got my first one from (are they still around?), they make a good one. My new one is Smittybilt and I used it to haul a F-250 on 44" boggers from a mud pit of misery. Used the same strap to pull my heavy rig that was buried up to the frame in mud. No issues. Worked great.

Also carry a 6"x6"x8" block of wood. You have NO IDEA how handy this is...until you need it.

Ditch your stock scissor jack for a good hydraulic jack. Yes a hi-lift is great but I go for my hydro jack everytime to lift up an axle to get it over...whatever since normally I'm stuck on my axle.

Lastly, carry a couple trash bags. When you need that tow strap in the mud, you need it. However I have a feeling you won't be too excited about putting that nasty thing in the back of your rig. Oh and good gloves. You can buy a 12 pack of heavy gloves from Northern tool. Just do that since you'll need them for other crap. Yard work, tire work, possessed kitty, etc.

BlitzleBlat

Observer
my bigbubba kinetic rope saved my but this weekend. Was frame deep in my raptor with my front two tires stuck in gumbo between two perfectly sized clay ridges in the ground. Gunked up my MTR's so much they wouldnt clean when spining and couldnt get any damn traction.

The kinetic with one yank from a buddies jeep pulled me up and over the hump (to get my rears stuck in the same spot). So two pulls and i was out of that gumbo/clay death trap.

You can pick one up for a decent price on this group buy thread.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f29/bubba-rope-group-buy-12097/

BBQ BOY

my bigbubba kinetic rope saved my but this weekend. Was frame deep in my raptor with my front two tires stuck in gumbo between two perfectly sized clay ridges in the ground. Gunked up my MTR's so much they wouldnt clean when spining and couldnt get any damn traction.

The kinetic with one yank from a buddies jeep pulled me up and over the hump (to get my rears stuck in the same spot). So two pulls and i was out of that gumbo/clay death trap.

You can pick one up for a decent price on this group buy thread.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f29/bubba-rope-group-buy-12097/

I'm really liking the Bubba rope and what I have read about them. I think I am going to give the 7/8" x 30' a try. I am guessing the 30' would be the better length. Also, thanks for the group buy link. I am waiting to hear back from him but I doubt he is still excepting orders since the buy has was for a few months back.

BlitzleBlat

Observer
He will still be able to hook you up, i would sugest getting the shackles at the same time it may save you a few bucks. It may also be worth grabbing one of the rope protector sleeves as well in case you need to use it against rocks/abrasive ground.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
As a few have suggested in here we have our Super Yanker kinetic recovery ropes. They are great for just about any time your vehicle is stuck and I use mine 3-4x more often then my winch when we are on trails. If you have a kinetic rope you can use much less force then it would take with a strap.

We also offer a 10% EXPO discount so take a look around our website and let me know if you have any questions.

Master Pull Recovery Gear

-Alex

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
I hate to admit this, but, I have been wheeling for years without any recovery gear. The only tow strap I had is now owned by the John Deere tractor and don't think it would be safe to use it. So, what do I need and what can I get away with? Let me know what size of everything I may need. I want quality stuff in hopes to ensure a little more safety.
What I am thinking I am needing for my 100 is:
snatch block
Kinetic recovery/tow strap(are these the same thing)
Heavy duty leather gloves
tree saver
shackles. There will be two on the rear bumper and maybe two under the front bumper.
Hi-lift(what size? i may opt for the 48")

I was going to just opt for this kit, which is cheaper than if you tried to piece together the same items from their site.
http://www.vikingoffroad.com/product...overy-Kit.html

I bought my stuff from Southeast Overland. Steve's a good guy. He has several standard recovery kits, but he'll be glad to talk through your needs and customize a kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears