New 270 Awning available.

TexasIsHome

Thanks to @alia176 for keeping the list updated, and @JMacs for sharing his excel sheet with me. I looked them over for a while, went back and forth between the OverlandPros, FSR, and OVS. Thanks to the BF/CM sales, I finally decided on the OVS 270 Nomadic passenger side mount. Arrived in a week, checked it out and looks/feels solid. I chose OVS for the ability to set up without poles, good coverage, and a 4 year warranty. I won't be able to mount it until Spring unfortunately.

Finally got the OVS installed. Installed by myself fairly easily by ratchet strapping to the crossbars during install. Set up and tear down are nice and smooth. Loving this 270 compared to my ARB 2500 that I barely used.

Attachments

• FA5162B1-0554-4C5B-8968-42E840EF8D0C.jpeg
    FA5162B1-0554-4C5B-8968-42E840EF8D0C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 61

Cjground

Anybody mount an Alucab Shadow to Rhino Rack Vortex bars using their Rhino Rack load bar brackets? I'm trying to decide on cross bar type to go with the RR Backbone for my JKU, I like the more aerodynamic bars though not sure how much it really matters. There's also the newer Reconn Deck bars. It seems like the brackets should mount to any of them, with the appropriate channel nut and bolt length, not sure if the slightly wider flat top of the HD makes much difference in stability vs the Vortex.

And the Shadow looked to me like a good balance of weight and strength for a freestanding 270, and I also like that it has the one drop-down leg for windier conditions. Also only interested in those that give full coverage over the rear of the vehicle, vs those that come off at a 45dg angle and would leave the JKU's tailgate out in the rain.

Does anybody feel theres a better freestanding option that ticks those boxes? Not too concerned with price, mainly want the best possible product.

Edit: Bought the HD bar kit on sale, seemed like the safer bet since AluCab's RR brackets show those bars specifically. And the taller cross section of the HD vs vortex bars makes it look somewhat stiffer in the bending direction so figure that'll be best for the freestanding awning. I also called my local AluCab dealer, Expedition Superstore in SLC, to ask their advice though they said they've never installed a Shadow on RR bars but said it'd be the best bet to match the AluCab config directly.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
This is coming from the left field but if you were to install two 180deg awnings, you can make yourself a 360deg coverage by filling in the space in the rear. A DIYer can purchase the correct width fabric, sew on zippers or velcros, then connect the new fabric to the 180deg awnings. Voila, complete coverage!!

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
No affiliation, just saw this for sale.

Personal update, I purchased a used Bush 270 XT awning (DS). It's up and I absolutely love it....WAAAAAY better than the OG Foxwing it replaced.
Congrats dude, it's a nice unit. I used to have a Batwing and it had more coverage than my 270XT, which I loved, but I use the 270XT at a moment's notice w/o a care about the wind (within reason).

MagnutsWJ

Observer
No affiliation, just saw this for sale.

Personal update, I purchased a used Bush 270 XT awning (DS). It's up and I absolutely love it....WAAAAAY better than the OG Foxwing it replaced.
Thanks for the share @tlin.

These awnings are built from powder coated aluminum with stainless hardware. 420D waterproof oxford material. This demo unit is not FR but the order I have on route all come with FR material, grey topside with an olive green underside. 600g pvc cover. 83 sq ft (7.7 m2) coverage.

Located on Long Island NY, but regularly travel around the NE and can deliver and help install.

www.reignoutdoor.com for more details

03B0FB84-3A2A-48D4-ABDA-4E1CCA791FC6.jpeg
F2404775-4443-4DA7-83A0-403D36A12B69.jpeg

Last edited:

aaldape

Observer
This is coming from the left field but if you were to install two 180deg awnings, you can make yourself a 360deg coverage by filling in the space in the rear. A DIYer can purchase the correct width fabric, sew on zippers or velcros, then connect the new fabric to the 180deg awnings. Voila, complete coverage!!

Back to your regularly scheduled program.
An option for the less DIY inclined…
Taruca 360 Awning

concretejungle

Adventurer
Figured I would add a little information as I finally, after waiting for over 2 years, received the bush company 270 Max wall kit. They are not cheap so no need to talk pricing, but the quality is very high. Almost too high! What do I mean by that; the wall kit comes in a bag and it's HUGE and HEAVY! The fabric is their standard tent and awning fabric, HD stitching, HD zippers, ect... Just what you would expect from The Bush Company.

Now keep in mind I've only set it up in the driveway so no real world use yet. Here are a few of my opinions so far:
* I'm not sure about the velcro attachment to the awning. They swear by it and it attached and held fine, but in the wind I'm curious to see how it holds. I think a zipper would have been so much simpler to install and use.
*The kit is huge and heavy! I feel like I'm carrying around a dead body in the carry case! It is already making me think I'll never carry the entire wall kit with me unless I'm camping in a spot for days. Will probably work out a nice section and scale down to that.... we will see.
*on my 80 series with a swing out holding a high-lift jack, I have to remove the high lift jack to fit the rear wall. It was already a tight squeeze back there and I can open the awning with the jack in place, but to cover my little swing-out kitchen I'll have to take the high lift jack off.
*the screen windows are really nice, open easy and have the tight mesh screen, but I'm not sure how important that is since the entire system is never entirely closed so bugs can easily come in from under your truck.

I'll post a follow-up after I've had a chance to use the kit in the real world.

IMG_8594.JPG

silvercruiser

Observer
Very grateful for all the awning information that has been gathered! I'm about to pull the trigger on the Freespirit Rec 270 awning. It seems to be the lightest weight, has good coverage for the rear and they are on sale $875. Does anybody have any real-world experience with this awning including seeing in person?

86scotty

Cynic
Looks like the Reign Outdoor one to me, and about the same weight. I wonder if they are actually the same awning? Either way, I like it. That's VERY light for a 270 awning.

claw

Very grateful for all the awning information that has been gathered! I'm about to pull the trigger on the Freespirit Rec 270 awning. It seems to be the lightest weight, has good coverage for the rear and they are on sale $875. Does anybody have any real-world experience with this awning including seeing in person?

I just installed the Freespirit 270 on my GoFast camper. Although the awning seems solid-enough, I have been a little disappointed with the quality. It has a very "amazon off-brand" feel with regard to the construction and hardware. For example, the kickstand, used to elevate the tarp in rain, feels pretty cheap and seems to have been mounted incorrectly. It will not deploy in its current position because the pivot is located too close to where the tarp material attaches to the frame. This can be corrected by drilling a new hole for the mounting point, which isn't a big deal, but maybe not something that I should need to do for a new product. Only time will tell how well it holds up to real world use. My initial opinion is that if you are looking for something that is bomber, you would be better served to look elsewhere.

In order to mount the FSR 270, I purchased three separate awning mounting brackets directly from GoFast Campers. I do not believe that the mounting brackets provided with the awning will work for the GoFast's. It is also worth noting that the awning does not come with the support pole that is shown in the video on the website. I knew this going in, but it isn't entirely clear from their website. The FSR 270 does ship with guylines and beefy ground stakes to tie down the corners in wind.

Overall, I think the FSR 270 is a good purchase at the current sale price of $875, but probably not at the list price of $1250.

With that in mind, I'm pretty bummed about how Freespirit handled the preorder pricing for the awning. Folks that preordered paid up-front at 10%-off MSRP. However, the kicker is that the day the preorders were shipping, FSR sent out the email advertising 30%-off "Black Friday" pricing on the awning - in October! I did inquire via email whether they might extend that sale price to the preorders, but was totally ghosted. I probably wouldn't feel so bad about paying the higher price if the quality was better. That's business, I guess. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior