New Adventure Bike...from Trek!

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
Stop the presses! Holy Hot Wheels, Batman! I may have to become a Trekkie again! Just introduced at the Trekworld Trek dealers gathering, the new 2015 Trek 920 Adventure Bike. Until I got my Volcanic Vx7, all of my MTBs were from Trek, and I still ride one at work. Been thinking of upgrading my Bianchi Volpe, and this may be the ticket! Looks very interesting, to say the least. :elkgrin:

Also a suitable replacement for my Novara Safari that I sold to make room for the Vx7.

2015-Trek-920-adventure-road-bike2-600x399.jpg

Can't wait to check it out, even if I have to haul down to Madison to do so.

Ride safe,
Hans

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
Tires are obviously NOT at least 32'' thick... You could hardly go down a sidewalk with that!

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Great looking bike...would rather see a dual control setup...
I would have loved this bike when I was using a beater trek 930 MTB to commute in Seattle...
Too bad there will be little love here as we all know this is a Salsa sponsored forum:snorkel:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Bar end shifters, hydro brakes, through axles, and tubeless rims. The only other things I would ask for is a sliding dropout, gates ready frame, and a dynamo hub.
2-wheeled if you do get down to the Mad-lands for a test ride give us a run down on what you think.
Bike rumor>>>>>>At the head of Trek’s renewed touring line is the 920 disc. Judging by the early rendering and some of the specifications floating around the internet, it’s possible that this bike was originally going to include a 105 11 speed drivetrain, but instead goes with a SRAM X5/X7/500 TT bar end combination. In addition to allowing for the use of the X7 Type 2 clutched rear derailleur, it also allows the bike to run TRP Hylex hydraulic disc brakes. The aluminum frame and fork are rack and fender compatible and use thru axles front and rear with 15mm front, and 142×12 rear. 920s will be equipped with Bontrager XR1 29×2.0 mountain bike tires making its off road intentions clear. Complete bikes will have an advertised retail of $2,089.99.

Frameset
Frame 100 Series Alpha Aluminum, DuoTrap S compatible, rack and fender mounts
Fork Alloy Adventure, disc
Wheels
Wheels Bontrager Duster Elite Tubeless Ready, 15mm front hub, 142×12 rear
Tires Bontrager XR1, 29×2.0
Drivetrain
Shifters SRAM 500 TT, bar end control, 10 speed
Front derailleur SRAM X5
Rear derailleur SRAM X7, Type 2
Crank SRAM S1000 10-speed, 42/28T
Cassette SRAM PG-1030, 11-36, 10 speed
Components
Saddle Bontrager Evoke 1.5
Seatpost Bontrager SSR, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 12mm offset
Handlebar Bontrager Race, VR-C, 31.8mm
Stem Bontrager Blendr Elite, w/computer & light mounts, 31.8mm, 7 degree
Grips Bontrager gel cork tape
Headset VP, semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset TRP HYLEX, hydraulic road disc brake, 160mm rotor

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Tires are obviously NOT at least 32'' thick... You could hardly go down a sidewalk with that!

In Trek fat bike news the Farly 8 has the Rockshox Bluto, Bontrager Jackalope 80mm tubeless ready wheels, and Hodag 3.8 tire is one more skinny-fat knobby to choose from.

Last edited:

fortel

Adventurer
I've been pretty much a Specialized guy for a while now but that's a cool looking ride. I ride a lot of gravel and this could be a cool replacement for my Tricross that's getting pretty long in the tooth.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Thick??? You mean like width, tread/sidewall or what? They are 2.1 inch wide Bontrager 29er tires on 36 spoke rims. I don't think sidewalks are their intended use.

Wide, thick, heavy, whatever... Not BIG enough. You would be stuck in lightly dusted livingroom floor!

29ers are too big for me, otherwise it is a nice looking bike.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Wide, thick, heavy, whatever... Not BIG enough. You would be stuck in lightly dusted livingroom floor!

29ers are too big for me, otherwise it is a nice looking bike.
Heh? Those tires are plenty big. You could tour endless miles of gravel with that bike. And unless you're under 5 feet tall, I can't imagine anyone not fitting it.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Heh? Those tires are plenty big. You could tour endless miles of gravel with that bike. And unless you're under 5 feet tall, I can't imagine anyone not fitting it.

If I recall correctly, I have 2.25 wides on mine. I am 5'4'', and my small frame sitting on 26'' tires has a hard enough time as it is.

edit

I recalled incorrectly, the LAST set I had on were 2.25, these are 2.

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
If I recall correctly, I have 2.25 wides on mine. I am 5'4'', and my small frame sitting on 26'' tires has a hard enough time as it is.

Discovery, my Bianchi Volpe, has 35 mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on it, and I ride gravel all the time without any problems. It's not a mountain bike, but it is a great gravel grinder. I wouldn't get rid of it if I get a Trek 920 or a Salsa Fargo. I don't think I'll get rid of any of my bikes, but my wife will take some convincing for a 4th one in the garage.

The 920 is definitely a bike worth an extended, expedition-type test.

Working on it.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader

edit

I have literally ridden 15,000-25,000 miles on 35-40c tires on gravel, mild sand, and loads of dirt. Not a problem for the vast majority of "improved" yet unpaved roads.

fortel

Adventurer
I'm running Continental Travel Contacts on my Tricross. Continental has some weird sizing but they are between 35 and 38 wide. They work great on gravel and dirt roads, crushed stone bike paths, easy singletrack. They're not light but have some pretty robust puncture protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior