NEW expo tire: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
gy_wranglerdt_ci2_l.jpg

Reminds me of the iconic BFG Trac-Edge. Lots of siping and studdable. Heres the link to TireRack's page with sizing and pricing. It is a fairly inexpensive tire (especially for GY). http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes...arch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=385QR6WDT

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We had a thread on that one and the rest of the new Goodyear line-up; look at the Dunlop M/T Maxx Traction too. Even less expensive and just about the same tire.

I went with the Wrangler MTR Kevlar for the stouter sidewall. Side by side, it made the Duratrac look like a Prius tire...

BlackX

Adventurer
We had a thread on that one and the rest of the new Goodyear line-up; look at the Dunlop M/T Maxx Traction too. Even less expensive and just about the same tire.

I went with the Wrangler MTR Kevlar for the stouter sidewall. Side by side, it made the Duratrac look like a Prius tire...

I saw the tire at the Mint 400 and was really impressed with it. Looks like a good cross between AT and MT.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Unless GY gets a clue and starts making their tires in 255/85R16, I doubt I'll ever own another tire made by them.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Expedition Portal has its own tires? Why would a forum need tires? :p

It does look like a good expedition/overland choice though? I took a peek at them at Goodyears booth at EJS last weekend, decent AT option.

John90XJ

Adventurer
Unless GY gets a clue and starts making their tires in 255/85R16, I doubt I'll ever own another tire made by them.

OK, I'll bite. Why is this important?

A quick search on Tire Rack brings back only 1 tire in that size in their entire selection.

OK, I'll bite. Why is this important?

A quick search on Tire Rack brings back only 1 tire in that size in their entire selection.

This seems to be the "Holy Grail" of tire sizes around here... People like the taller narrower tires. I don't think that I would go as far as to say that I wouldn't consider a tire because it wasn't made in this size. Whatever works I guess... :sombrero:

Outback

Explorer
Our tech who had the Dura Track installed at 4 Wheel Parts Wholesallers (who by the way SCREWED up and ordered the wrong tires, they were supposed to be the MTRs with Kevlar) said they performed quite well in the snow over Sycoramy Pass in WA. Not sure how to spell that. Anyway they performed very well on the slick roads.

jfarsang

Adventurer
I was originally going to buy the Duractrac's but once I saw them in the store side by side with the MTR's and then mounted (aired down) and flexed, I took the manager's advice.

If you want a decent sidewall, stay away from the Duratrac's.

They are softer than the average all season car tire.

This is a multi-store area manager who told me they may not carry many of them because of the lack of sidewall strength.

My 2 cents.

I was hoping it was going to be my next tire but the new MTR's are fairing much better than the last two sets of all terrain's I've had.

They are worth a look.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I was originally going to buy the Duractrac's but once I saw them in the store side by side with the MTR's and then mounted (aired down) and flexed, I took the manager's advice.

This is a multi-store area manager who told me they may not carry many of them because of the lack of sidewall strength.

My 2 cents.

I was hoping it was going to be my next tire but the new MTR's are fairing much better than the last two sets of all terrain's I've had.

They are worth a look.
Ditto what he said. It's a gravel and mud tire that wasn't built for airing-down. I still think it will find it's niche, but it's not for us.

I'm really liking my new MTR Kevlars too.

87FoRunner

Adventurer

My 2 cents.

They are worth a look.

What size in specific did you look at? And What load range?

87FoRunner

Adventurer
Appreciate it. I am looking into 285/75 16 which are E in Duratracs.

It is a toss up between Duratracs and a second round of BFG ATs which are D.

Hopefully the sidewalls will be stronger with the higher range and different size.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Are you putting an E rated tire on a 87 4Runner? That isn't going to be the best riding vehicle you've ever been in... That's a pretty stiff tire for such a lightweight rig.

I've run E-rated tires on my TJ...no noticable difference between the D and E, when the pressure was adjusted to get the proper contact patch. Off road, I drop them as far as 8 psi (no beadlocks) depending on the terrain I expect to encounter, never had a problem rolling the beads off the seats. Stiff tires work just fine on light rigs, IMO.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman