New Guy Trailer Build Thread

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Then a grinder with a cutting wheel to cut the straights, and here is the end result.
2012-05-24_23-27-14_579.jpg

It does kind of bug me I didn't move it up more, but I did save the cutout pieces if it needs to be changed... but I don't think it will be as noticeable to me once everything else is completed.

As I am just getting into this thread, let me first say NICE! I like it. I wonder how much you are spending on all of that metal, but the project sure looks great, and perhaps a bit cathartic as well, so why not, right?

On the spacing of the above tail light photo. I wanted to ask... Have you considered putting in a set of reverse lights or turn signals above the brake light? You could use the small one LED lights for this, and it would fit in nice, and do the job right for you as well.

Just a consideration. I really do like the build a lot, and congrats on the work!

Regards,
Brian

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Thanks everyone. After spending the previous two night in the garage past 2 am, and a little past 1 am tonight, the trailer is now ready for the trip....I hope. :p I've been lacking on taking pictures because of the rush, but will have some REAL good ones of it sitting on the beaches of Lake McConaughy this weekend. There is still plenty to do to it when I catch up on some family time after this trip, but the maiden voyage to see how it went down the road was successful and it did great.

2012-07-03_18-25-25_668.jpg

2012-07-03_18-28-12_563.jpg

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Ford Perfect, now that the cage is painted black it isn't as noticeable and actually looks to be centered from point to point.
2012-07-01_15-49-07_728.jpg

The turn signals and running lights are both ran through the oval LEDs, but I had thought about doing reverse light like you mentioned but think I would want them below. For now I am just glad to get it road worthy. lol

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Yes, it sure looks nice.

I am thinking a photo of it going up a trail like the one you mentioned in Colorado, or hells revenge or something would be nice! I also am glad you went with the extra tongue length. When you start getting into the V angles (between the jeep and the trailer) you will be glad the tent is not bashing your CJ roll cage. The trailer looks great! congrats.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Thanks everyone. After sleeping until noon today because of lack of sleep from my trip, I found enough energy to update the thread. :p

The trailer pulled great down the Interstate doing 75-78 mph. I did have one wheel bearing heat up some, but mostly because I ran out of grease when filling them up after putting bearing buddies on. A quick stop at Love's Truck Stop to by a tube of grease helped that out, but I do think the nut needs to be backed off a little since I snugged it up some after noticing a little play in it from what the manufacturer had it set too. Since the other side was alright, they apparently had it right. lol.

Now FINALLY some action shots of it being used at Lake McConaughy. :)

2012-07-06_14-53-32_533.jpg

This nice little clamp on fan worked great pulling some nice fresh air in from outside. I simply had the cord ran down to the 12v lighter plugin.
2012-07-06_18-30-03_628.jpg

2012-07-07_10-30-34_703.jpg

2012-07-07_10-31-54_118.jpg

2012-07-07_10-33-47_311.jpg

2012-07-07_11-26-50_775.jpg

2012-07-06_14-54-14_177.jpg

2012-07-06_18-29-51_345.jpg

Last edited:

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Favorite thread so far. Nice work.

Dang, I'm honored considering the number of insane builds on here. Thanks :)

Looks like a fun time. How does the tent hold up to wind being so high?

So far so good. I did have to put the rainfly down when an unexpected wind came out of nowhere. From reading the reviews on a thread here, it soundec like it holds up real good. I am thinking of rigging up a way to sinch down overhanging side to the trailer in fear of a big storm picking it up and folding my into a pretzel. Who knows if that is possible but I don't want to find out! Haha

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I am thinking of rigging up a way to sinch down overhanging side to the trailer in fear of a big storm picking it up and folding my into a pretzel. Who knows if that is possible but I don't want to find out! Haha

You would not need to do that. All you would need is a bar of electrical conduit, say about six feet long, and four u-bolt type claps for the conduit.

Cut the conduit in half, inside the tent mount two u-bolts on each side of the tent, one on each side of the mid-line or folding point. Then slide the bar in on each side. It would take up very minimal space and would prevent you from being able to close the tent without removing the bar. Basically it would make a simple slide lock for you. I bet you could do that for ten bucks. Paint it up so it is hard to see and you are done. :D

kozaz

All I can say is WoW, that is one of the best HF trailer upgrades I've came across. Any Idea what it weights or when you will do the weight in?

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
You would not need to do that. All you would need is a bar of electrical conduit, say about six feet long, and four u-bolt type claps for the conduit.

Cut the conduit in half, inside the tent mount two u-bolts on each side of the tent, one on each side of the mid-line or folding point. Then slide the bar in on each side. It would take up very minimal space and would prevent you from being able to close the tent without removing the bar. Basically it would make a simple slide lock for you. I bet you could do that for ten bucks. Paint it up so it is hard to see and you are done. :D

That could work, but a couple holes drilled into the ladder bracket and simply running those rope ratchet deals down to the stabilizer jacks sounds way easier. :sombrero:

All I can say is WoW, that is one of the best HF trailer upgrades I've came across. Any Idea what it weights or when you will do the weight in?

Again, I am honored. :) After some refiguring and guessing on what the extras weigh including the RTT/battery/lid/and misc stuff, fully loaded I can't imagine it being more then 700 lbs. I would be curious to know myself and post that up if I ever run it across the scale.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
With the weather having been around 100 for the last whoever knows how many days, not much work has progressed. I did order these up yesterday though-

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2158

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=163

With another trip coming up soon, I plan on working on a few things before then, but at least I will have a water supply to haul there and can mount up the Hi Lift without it rattling around. For those who have never ordered from Sierra Expeditions, I can't express how great their customer service is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman