New guy with gen3 montero

jhill15

Explorer
That won't last long if you plan on using it off road. They are extremely weak and problematic. Search front diff issues. Then there's the odd wiring / sensor issues.

Montero is overbuilt. Xterra under built. But it will make you appreciate your old Montero. :)
No sir! I agree with you about the montero being more built for off road, but the lack of aftermarket support makes it way less easy to mod. There are sooo many different upgrades and mods for the xterra than the montero...at least that are readily available here in the states. Right out of the box side by side the montero will climb better but the lack of approach and departure will keep it from going places the xterra will...at least not without tearing something up.

Not to mention my montero had a short in it that would send me back in dealer mode if I hooked up the driver side door light. Oooh then there was the wicked case of rulst belt not being able to turn a bolt without snapping off...lol. also the flashing diff light that I battled since I brought it.

No thanks man way happier with the xterrra!

Edit: that sounded bad, I didn't mean for it to come off as rude, sorry man if it did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Djbenny

Adventurer
Cool. Well congrats and enjoy. Would love to know your comparisons as you begin to use your new vehicle. Don't be a stranger, even though you've gone to the dark side! Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
Cool. Well congrats and enjoy. Would love to know your comparisons as you begin to use your new vehicle. Don't be a stranger, even though you've gone to the dark side! Ha ha.

Thanks djbenny! I had an xterra before the monty, i just went from storm trooper to vadar this time lol!

nasko

Adventurer
Hi, nice Xterra you got. I too would be interested to hear your thoughts on comparing the two trucks. I currently own/drive a mildly modified 2005 manual Xterra that has been great to me both on and offroad. But with a growing family I have had my eye on a 3rd gen Montero for a while. Unfortunately up here in Canada they are not as common and parts are expensive. Cheers and good luck with Xterra, contrary to what people believe on this side of the forum they are quite nice, IMO.

nckwltn

Explorer
.....the lack of aftermarket support makes it way less easy to mod.

This is the one thing that would push me toward a jeep or other "mainstream" 4x4.

I had never considered the xterra as being off-road capable, but went on a trip with a guy a couple of years ago that had some nice suspension mods and was really impressed at the stance and capability.

This same thing is one thing I really like about the montero. They are really underrated to the general public. A sleeper of sorts :)

bikerjosh

Explorer
@nckwltn, while I can't remember the xterra driver's name I do remember talking to him about his truck. I believe he was running longer front axles, and A arms from a full size titan along with some other suspension goodies. I think that it was also some special Nismo offroad model, came with a rear locker standard and some other bits.

nckwltn

Explorer
@nckwltn, while I can't remember the xterra driver's name I do remember talking to him about his truck. I believe he was running longer front axles, and A arms from a full size titan along with some other suspension goodies. I think that it was also some special Nismo offroad model, came with a rear locker standard and some other bits.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/members/66984-XterraMatt doesn't look like he is too active here. Might have luck tracking him (and his rig) down at http://sccxterra.com/

jhill15

Explorer
2nd gen Xterra's suspension can be swapped out with the Titan's suspension making it have alot more travel than the stock. From 2005-2009 they came with an offroad edition that had a stock e locker, 2010-2015 they have the pro-4x which also has the locker...I could not find one so I do not have the locker :sadface:

montypower

Adventure Time!
but the lack of approach and departure will keep it from going places the xterra will...at least not without tearing up

Come follow some Monteros through the Rubicon and see how quickly you change your mind.

Nissan looks cooler and off roadish but looks don't equal capability. Keep it on road or light trail use and it will be fine.

jhill15

Explorer
Come follow some Monteros through the Rubicon and see how quickly you change your mind.

Nissan looks cooler and off roadish but looks don't equal capability. Keep it on road or light trail use and it will be fine.
Well montypower I have to say you were right...at least for the Xterra that I purchased. I unknowingly bought it with a bad rear axle. I heard a swirling sound and took it the nissan dealer...$3000 for a new c200k
The dealer I purchased it from was gracious enough to stop payment on the vehicle and will be picking it up from the nissan dealer, then sending it to an auction! F'N LAME! So now I am truckless!

Djbenny

Adventurer
Damn. That stinks. At least you won't have to worry about fixing that.

The Viper

Adventurer
oh man that just sucks...im glad they are taking it back, how much are you out, just the 1st months payment?

Peter, aka montypower has some sort of 6th sense when it comes to montys...when i bought my gen 2 monty years ago he told me to make sure to replace my upper and lower rad hoses immediately. I of course didnt listen and less then a month later my upper rad hose blew out. I promptly replaced that, although i never did replace the lower rad hose :)

jhill15

Explorer
oh man that just sucks...im glad they are taking it back, how much are you out, just the 1st months payment?

Peter, aka montypower has some sort of 6th sense when it comes to montys...when i bought my gen 2 monty years ago he told me to make sure to replace my upper and lower rad hoses immediately. I of course didnt listen and less then a month later my upper rad hose blew out. I promptly replaced that, although i never did replace the lower rad hose :)
Luckily i'm only out the time it took to find a truck. Peter is a good guy, he always helps out when you have questions, and is full of knowledge about 4×4's. Should've listened forsure lol!

The Viper

Adventurer
Luckily i'm only out the time it took to find a truck. Peter is a good guy, he always helps out when you have questions, and is full of knowledge about 4×4's. Should've listened forsure lol!

what are you gonna be looking for now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior