New guy with gen3 montero

jhill15

Explorer
what are you gonna be looking for now?
Well I had financed the xterra through my insurance company, and it was really exhausting trying to find one within what I was pre approved for that wasn't a 2005-2007. I really don't wanna spend another month and drive X amount of miles trying to find another one. So im probably gonna get a beater subaru until another xterra comes my way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Grinder313

Observer
My wife bought an '08 Xterra and the rear end is making some noise also. I'm gonna swap in a locker rear when it goes.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
Figured I would share this with you guys considering the mitsu section of the portal has been my second home for the past year.
b5d7f20ea9927707b898e5cc9c4adb7e.jpg

This was thursday, right before it was loaded onto a flatbed to head off to an auction. Now I have found a new rig...its not the best of offroad rigs but for light off the beaten path and camping this will serve us well.
b1dae7a2f84b7c4aaa874dbea9515497.jpg

A little lift, some nice at's, and it will take us anywhere that we wanna go. The only thing im disappointed about is not having the option of a low range transfer case.

jhill15

Explorer
thats actually pretty sweet...is it full time AWD?
Thanks man, they say it is awd but its real time 4wd. When the fronts start spinning the rears kick in. There however is no actuation between right an left like awd.

vhercules

Sorry about the xterra and congratulations on the element !
While the element is no hardcore offroader it holds up pretty well on mild trails and good on snow / ice.

The awd system is the same as honda CRV i.e. a slip and grip system.
There are very few lift options and I believe they are all spacer lifts that add a couple of inches. That with all terrains, the element is decent soft roader. Plus you get Honda reliability.
here is an example of capability from the element forums - http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66120
I have seen a no of folks run it on mild trails over the years with no issues.

Good luck :smiley_drive:

Dake21

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about your montero and Xterra. Bad luck.
but with a honda element you are still truckless. Sorry about that too :elkgrin:

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'm confused.... You sold the Montero because there wasn't enough "aftermarket parts" to buy an Xterra (weaker platform) which had trouble so you bought a Honda which as less aftermarket than the Xterra or Montero and has one of the poorest AWD systems out there?? I say, don't spend any money on it. You'll likely be disappointed with it. Doubt you will keep if for a year.

Not being negative just realistic. It's a fine car for on road or snow. Yet a Subaru will dominate it in every way. The gas mileage is poor with not much power and much less space than an SUV. Compromise in every area.

jhill15

Explorer
I'm confused.... You sold the Montero because there wasn't enough "aftermarket parts" to buy an Xterra (weaker platform) which had trouble so you bought a Honda which as less aftermarket than the Xterra or Montero and has one of the poorest AWD systems out there?? I say, don't spend any money on it. You'll likely be disappointed with it. Doubt you will keep if for a year.

Not being negative just realistic. It's a fine car for on road or snow. Yet a Subaru will dominate it in every way. The gas mileage is poor with not much power and much less space than an SUV. Compromise in every area.
Nah I haven't bought the honda yet, im actually going to look at this today
0b9041d8cbe11014000a39325d7ef6d1.jpg
and yes I did sell the montero not because of the lack of aftermarket support I mearly was stating the lack of aftermarket support here in the states. If you don't mind to import parts for a pajero than sure. In my case the montero I had was rusted out and had an electrical issue as well as a 4wd issue with flashing lights. Everytime I had something fixed something else would go wrong with it. I was dumping about $300 a month into fixing something add 166k on the clock a wife and a couple kids...well you can see why I had to part with it. The montero is definitely far more built for offroad as far as its drivetrain than an xterra...most certainly an element but the online support and aftermarket support for an xterra is far more greater than a montero. And yes for what we use our rig for the honda or subaru are perfect, light offroading trails, snow, and camping.

Djbenny

Adventurer
You'd be amazed at where that Subaru will take you. Mine always did great in snow and mud. We use to take my RS camping all the time till I got my Gen 2 Montero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
I know I may take abuse from this...lol from a few of you lol jk! But we ended up getting a jeep patriot. Don't worry we wont be doing much wheeling in this thing...if any lol it fell right into our budget its a 2010 with low miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior