New guy with question

MADBMW

Hi I am new here;

I was a fairly active wheeler when in High School and college with my 81 CJ7. I am recently getting back in the fold. I am very interested in modifying my 04 Tacoma double cab 4X4 (non TRD so no locker) with 40,000 miles, but I am on a restrictive budget.

I guess my first question would be how capable is the Tacoma in stock form with maybe just a tire upgrade?

I thought about SAW 2.0 coil overs and alcan 8 leaf springs with bilstien shocks in the back as my lift. I don't really want to ditch the stock wheels (for budget reasons) so could I fit a 285/75R16 tire on the stock 16X7 aluminum rims without compromising any kind of reliability (as far as tire damage from rubbing)? Anyone running this set up please chime in. My wife has bought off on the idea of making these mods, but it still represents a large amount of money so I want to do my research before I buy.

The truck will also be my daily driver so I don't want to compromise reliability and I do not want high maintenance suspension modifications. Any advise would be welcome. I tried TTORA but you can't post there without being told to search and my searches have not given me satisfactory answers.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I can't provide any input on your lift choices as I am a Jeep guy, but I would highly recommend a 255/85R16 tire if you want to use the stock rim and minimize rubbing. This size measure the same 33" tall as the 285/75 but is a narrow 10" wide. It is much better fit for your 7" rims (the 285 is a better fit for 8" rims) and will definitely have better clearance. If you were to take a poll 255/85 is probably the most popular tire size on this forum. Toyo, Maxxis, BFG and Cooper all make tires in this size. Goodyear however does not.

As for the lift, many here use the Tacoma as both their daily driver and expedition rig. So some input should be forthcoming.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
OME OME OME... Go Old Man Emu, by far the best suspension that won't break the bank. Combined with some SAW's up front and you'll have a great riding/handling truck. I love those Taco's so hurry up and get building ;)

Cheers

Dave

toyrunner95

Explorer
Scotts old taco is wicked sick. I would check out what he did. Personally im trying to copy the style a little bit. He didnt go with a IFS lift i dont think, im pretty sure he went with just coilovers and new rear springs.

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
Give me a call when you get a chance, I will be happy to go over several suspension options that are available for your truck. I own 2 Tacomas and have been through few suspension set ups.

Jacque 866 233 4305

Willman

Welcome to the ExPo!

I love my Deaver 10 pack and Donahoe coilovers!

DSC04807.jpg

It has been a great setup for me!

:)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Willman said:
Welcome to the ExPo!

I love my Deaver 10 pack and Donahoe coilovers!

DSC04807.jpg

It has been a great setup for me!

:)
I'll bet that thing rides pretty darn nicely eh... Deaver and Donahoe make some great stuff.

MADBMW said:
by OME do you mean OME springs in the rear only? with SAW's up front?

Deaver and Donahoe are very good companies based on nearly ever single post or article I've ever read. If you can afford it, I'd say go for that set-up.

If not, again, OME rear with SAW's up front would be a very economical set up that would ride very very good. Maybe not as finely tuned as the above set-up, but very nice all the same.

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
MADBMW said:
Hi I am new here;

I guess my first question would be how capable is the Tacoma in stock form with maybe just a tire upgrade?

First off..

Welcome to the forum.

As far as a stock Tacoma being capable; I personally don't think you can beat a stock Toyota platform. A few upgrades being the one you mentioned (suspension) gets this truck sweet!

A tire upgrade is minimal, you can put the 285's on and minimize your tire rubbing with the BF hammer mod (pinch weld) and the flush fender screws.
BUT You'll still feel rubbing against the inside frame, especially whenever you turn left or right.

MADBMW said:
I thought about SAW 2.0 coil overs and alcan 8 leaf springs with bilstien shocks in the back as my lift.

I personally run Alcans with bilsteins and SAW 2.5's; but another great combo is the Deaver and Donahoe. Boils down to your to your personal preference.

The SAW's in the front will enable you to run larger tires; I personally think that staying away from 285's on the OEM rims is better as you will probably have to rotate more to keep them from 'shoveling' out on the outer tread.

If you're really looking to save in the budget area, go with the Old Man Emu's. Good product for moderate price. See Wil (flyingwil) or any of the other product sponsors here (incl. TRDParts4U).

Check out Flyingwils build with the same truck as yours.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728

And Scott Brady's old truck..(that he sold to TrailMonkey)
http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/ewvehicles/tacoma/index.html

Also check out Chris M. rig (Xtra cab)
http://bajataco.com

There are lots of daily drivers on this forum that are built up to be expedition or trail ready. You shouldn't have any problems keeping the reliability of your rig and keeping other maintenance costs down and enjoy doing with work!

-C

MADBMW

Thank you all for the welcome and replies. I have been doing some major research (meaning pricing and comparing performance) and I would really like the following set up;

SAW 2.0 fronts, Alcan or OME leafs in the rear (I think I can spring for the Alcan setup), Bilstein rear shocks and wheelers type b 15" black steel wheels with either 32 - 11.50's or 33 - 10.50's (you guys think this set up would clear 33-10.50's). I could buy the whole package at once from wheelers, in the 1600 dollar range which is doable in about four or five months. So minus money for tiers, I think that's a good price to pay.

My intent with this truck (I have owned it since new) is to turn it into an all purpose adventure/camping rig to get the family and my 3 year old daughter out into the woods. I would like to do group trail runs, and maby even the rubicon (after adding a bit of armor of course).

DenCo40

Adventurer
I've been down the same road a couple of times on different tacos. The setup (OME/Alcans) i have has been tried and tested for the past two years and has worked quite well.
Are you sure you want to run 15's? Also keep in mind the type of wheeling when chooosing your type of tire..just my two cents.

BLKNBLU

Explorer
I can't really speak to the new stuff as I have old junk, so if there are inherent clearance issues with the newer trucks, I'll defer to those that know them better. But my experience has been that I more often had a traction problem than a clearance problem. In hindsight, hands down I would do locker and armor first. Since I put in a lockright, I have been able to keep up with the big boys that I wheel with, at least til it gets really hairy and well beyond what you have described as your intended use. An ARB would only be sweeter. Add sliders and Budbuilt skids (if he has them yet for your truck) and yes better tires, though not necessarily bigger. Keep the stock sizing and gearing to enjoy the full benefits of power and efficiency that Toyota designed into the truck. And welcome to the ExPo!!

A couple of pics of me in Martinez Canyon with locked rear end, sliders, and Budbuilt crossmember and skidplate, 31's which is oversized for my truck but likely stock on yours.
MartinezCanyon12-15-0715.jpg

MartinezCanyon12-15-0702.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
When and where do you plan to go with your rig? I think that's the first question you need to ask yourself before you start replacing parts or cutting. FWIW I have found that my bone-stock, non-TRD Taco can get me to just about everywhere I need to go. I did get stuck briefly going up Red Cone because I got one wheel on each axle off the ground on a tight left turn - in that situation, a locker would have helped me much better than a lift. I'm running 32s (235/85R16s) and have been able to go through some amazing terrain. Although a lift might be nice it's just not neccessary for the mild 'wheeling/exploring/camping that I do.

Just my $0.02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior