New horse in the stable

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
C'mon you can't leave us without details :drool:

That is one clean rig to start with, it looks like it was a grocery getter. So does it have e-lockers? How many miles does it have? Any major maintenance done, ie. headgasket, front axle rebuild? What type of trips do you intend to do with it?

I really like that color.

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
I was searching for a 40th with NO lockers, I prefer ARB's to the factory lockers.

It has 88,000 miles, dealer maintained, one owner (older retired couple).

It will need some of the normal PM-ing, some of which will get done as I add things, like gears and lockers. Head gasket has not been done... Yet!!!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Nice. You had the baddest 80 around and now your starting over (The fun part). I'm dying to know what you'll be doing differently this time. I love the color of the new one and was just drooling over one like it this afternoon.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Nice rig! Nice color! 88K miles is nice and low, too.

If I could start over with my 80, that's exactly the model I'd look for. A late model '97 with low miles. The 40th is a nice touch.

I'm curious why you don't like the factory lockers? Mine didn't have them either, but the expense of the ARBs has left me only able to afford one ARB in the rear axle at the moment. A set of factory lockers would have been nice.

What tire gear combo are you shooting for?

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Brian894x4 said:
I'm curious why you don't like the factory lockers? Mine didn't have them either, but the expense of the ARBs has left me only able to afford one ARB in the rear axle at the moment. A set of factory lockers would have been nice.

I don't like how they lock and unlock, nor do I like the actuator outside of the axle housing. Plus, when I do the gears and lockers everything will be new on the third members. As far as gears and tires, probably 4.88 and 315's. I am thinking about a narrow tire as well, just not sure which brand or size???

Jeremey, I'm not sure what direction I will go, however I am thinking of less weight this time.

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Sgt Grunt said:
Brian894x4 said:

I don't like how they lock and unlock, nor do I like the actuator outside of the axle housing. Plus, when I do the gears and lockers everything will be new on the third members. As far as gears and tires, probably 4.88 and 315's. I am thinking about a narrow tire as well, just not sure which brand or size???

Jeremey, I'm not sure what direction I will go, however I am thinking of less weight this time.

Lighter, cr*p. I was afraid you'd say that. I'm building my 80 up like your green one and the thing is a pig for sure. I'm not looking forward to weighing it after it leaves the garage. 4x4Labs rear bumper with dual tire swing outs, and the Long Ranger fuel tank aren't helping the issue.

cpg

Adventurer
Sgt Grunt said:

I like the light weight. Driving long distance in a real heavy rig wears you and the rig out faster.

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Sgt Grunt said:
Lighter, cr*p. I was afraid you'd say that. I'm building my 80 up like your green one and the thing is a pig for sure. I'm not looking forward to weighing it after it leaves the garage. 4x4Labs rear bumper with dual tire swing outs, and the Long Ranger fuel tank aren't helping the issue.

I probably will have a stock motor this time. My green 80 ran fine with out the 2500 lbs of Kimberley in tow and at 5000 plus feet of elevation. I think you will be fine...

I am somewhat considering a turbo... :D but the cost is up there so we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears